Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holloway and Watford loans

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes, I agree. I found his statement very hard to believe that until that evening he knew nothing about it. Surely this means one of two things. Either Holloway is a complete liar or he is completely incompetent as a manager. Either way, he fits in well at the sorry excuse for a club that is crystal palace.

This

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Think it's just as much an abuse of the rules by trousering £10m and then keeping the player for the rest of the season.

While he may have a point, Holloway has £10m to spend he didn't have before and can afford to sign the likes of Odemwingie on loan. Good business maybe but just as sharp practice.

All sounds a bit lame and bad loserish to me.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
If the rules changed surely Watford's owners could sell the players to the club for a pound each, and sell them back to Udinese for a pound when they wanted them back in the A team?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Ian 'everything i say should be written down and framed by every tabloid journalist because i'm such a refreshingly honest and comical manager' Holloway.

Wrong. You're just a boring twat.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
All hate for him aside - i do agree with his comments, but Watford arent breaking any rules.

Its just showing how pathetic the leagues rules are regarding loans and they need changing next season - no doubt Watford will find a way round that though.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Its quite comical when you think about it really, a few seasons ago with Salde in charge when we were in deep relegation trouble we were blocked by the Football League from having more than 5 loan players in our squad - but if you sign them from overseas that's perfectly fine? FL = :facepalm:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
They haven't broken any rules, Holloway is just bitching about it as his team didn't win.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I know everyone enjoys slagging off Palace and Holloway for the shits and giggles of it, but he's absolutely spot on here. We've got FFP coming in next season, but a club like Watford could field 11 loanees from Spain and Italy and have all their wages registered on the books of the overseas club. The six home-grown players can all be listed as subs, and right there is the loophole for every club to get round FFP regulations.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Worzel gump is an arrogant knob head, uses the media to get one of his worthless points across, lose a game and he blanks them :wanker:

Sounds like Mr Poyet, minus condoning racism.

If this was another manager coming out with this statement, you'd be backing him for speaking out about a ridiculous loophole but because it's the CPFC manager, he's either wrong or ill timed.

Watford aren't breaking any rules but I think it's ridiculous that Uefa allow people to own more than one team, especially as their original team, Udinese are far better than Watford.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Yes, I agree. I found his statement very hard to believe that until that evening he knew nothing about it. Surely this means one of two things. Either Holloway is a complete liar or he is completely incompetent as a manager. Either way, he fits in well at the sorry excuse for a club that is crystal palace.

So he should comment on this at a completely random moment during the season? Who would listen to him then? He's created quite a stir in the FL with the post-match comments being on Sky.

FWIW, he said it prior to the game as well without realising how many "loanees" they had so for those who think it's bitterness because we didn't win are talking rubbish.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sounds like Mr Poyet, minus condoning racism.

If this was another manager coming out with this statement, you'd be backing him for speaking out about a ridiculous loophole but because it's the CPFC manager, he's either wrong or ill timed.

Watford aren't breaking any rules but I think it's ridiculous that Uefa allow people to own more than one team, especially as their original team, Udinese are far better than Watford.

He's not wrong because he's the Palace manager, he's wrong because Palace used five loan players in that game. However you want to dress it up, Zaha is not your player any more (and by all accounts, playing like it). Don't give me that "injuries" crap, Phillips & Dobbie aren't cover for your poor, threadbare squad, Holloway signed those players to try and win promotion.

I have no issue with that. I just don't need to hear the bitter old tosspiece whining like a stuck pig to the media about it because you didn't beat Watford (which is the real reason he's complaining, frankly). You would use the rules in exactly the same way if any glamorous foreign investor actually wanted to buy Palace.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Agree with his point

However saying it after you have failed to beat said team just comes across as sour grapes. Maybe should have mentioned it before the game or a few weeks ago when it was being discussed.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So he should comment on this at a completely random moment during the season? Who would listen to him then? He's created quite a stir in the FL with the post-match comments being on Sky.

FWIW, he said it prior to the game as well without realising how many "loanees" they had so for those who think it's bitterness because we didn't win are talking rubbish.

If you actually bothered to read what I said you'd see that I thought it was hard to believe he knew nothing about the loan situation at Watford prior to that evening. That is what is incredible.

I happen to agree with his point though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Agree with his point

However saying it after you have failed to beat said team just comes across as sour grapes. Maybe should have mentioned it before the game or a few weeks ago when it was being discussed.

If you actually bothered to read what I said you'd see that I thought it was hard to believe he knew nothing about the loan situation at Watford prior to that evening. That is what is incredible.

I happen to agree with his point though.

why does it matter, it only makes the news when its said after you play them. No-ones focusing on the point because it was said by the palace manager. sad really

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
why does it matter, it only makes the news when its said after you play them. No-ones focusing on the point because it was said by the palace manager. sad really

Why does it matter? Because he's obviously a liar. Maybe that is not important to you but it is to me.

I repeat though, I happen to agree with his point. Can't focus more than that!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

The fact it's Holloway makes no difference to my point.

Would say the same if its Poyet, make the point before the game not after. I disagree about it only being news after a game, if Holloway had said it pre match it would have been a talking point before the game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Udinese B are a joke, but even if the loan loophole is closed, they'll just get free transfers from the A team instead. It's the ownership which is the issue, so at the moment nothing can be done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here