Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I have just flown from USA to England and back via Air Canada with a stop in Montreal. Excellent airline with no issues apart from the ridiculous “must wear a mask” BS.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
A few years ago I was booked on the final flight of the night out of Hong Kong (back to Gatwick/Heathrow). As it got cancelled we got put up in airport hotel, food and drink vouchers, nice flight the next morning and then some sort of statutory E.U. Regulation got me automatic compensation without having to apply for it that was three figures larger than the entire round trip initially cost. No complaints here.

Sadly since almost half of you lot voted us out of E.U. I’d bet we now don’t get those kind of protections. But at least you have your french made blue passports?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have just flown from USA to England and back via Air Canada with a stop in Montreal. Excellent airline with no issues apart from the ridiculous “must wear a mask” BS.

In fairness to Air Canada, they've moved my flight already that I mentioned a few posts ago. Clearly, there are numerous issues at Toronto Pearson and they've acted in advance which is a first for any airline I've used.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Looking forward to 10 days in San Diego & LA at the end of June. The wife has arranged everything (Im useless at that sort of stuff) and has just managed to get us lounge access at Heathrow for free before we fly (upgraded our travel insurance through Barclays), but also won a load of travel points as an NHS "thank you" last year - so has got our hotel in LA free as well by using those.
The kids are excited about LA but, personally, I cant wait to get back to San Diego...my fav US city. My friend who lives there has sorted out tickets for us all for the Padres game on July 4th too...should be a good night as I haven't seen him since 1994!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aiming to make first post-covid trip to Oz in September. Fancy going via Tokyo, partly due to ANA Premium Economy goodies on offer such as lounge access, seperate cabin etc. Plus a long-held desire to get a flavour of Tokyo. Sadly tho, Japan still seems to still be off-limits to individual travellers. Anybody got any insight into whether it's possible to book a short stopover stay in Tokyo as part of a hastily-assembled transit group tour? Else, what's the chances of travel restrictions easing sometime before September? Ta

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Aiming to make first post-covid trip to Oz in September. Fancy going via Tokyo, partly due to ANA Premium Economy goodies on offer such as lounge access, seperate cabin etc. Plus a long-held desire to get a flavour of Tokyo. Sadly tho, Japan still seems to still be off-limits to individual travellers. Anybody got any insight into whether it's possible to book a short stopover stay in Tokyo as part of a hastily-assembled transit group tour? Else, what's the chances of travel restrictions easing sometime before September? Ta

Looks like you are fine to go in to Japan- test required - no self-isolation if jabbed, 3 days if not jabbed

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/japan/entry-requirements

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looks like you are fine to go in to Japan- test required - no self-isolation if jabbed, 3 days if not jabbed

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/japan/entry-requirements

Cheers for that. Yup, good to go to transit THROUGH Japan. But as an independent traveller, so far as I can see, you need to a) have a visa sorted in advance and b) be part of an organised tour group with a fixed itinenary in order to ENTER Japan. Will be gutted if I have to stay airside in transit lounge instead of being able to just jump on a train into funky downtown Tokyo, tho I guess if worst comes to worst I could treat it as a trial run for next trip when hopefully restrictions will have eased to fall in line with much of the rest of the world

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We're off on our first holiday for three years next week. Nothing fancy, a canal barge on the Kennet and Avon. But after a stressful few months, with Mrs G in hospital for a short while and my mum dying, it will be good to have any sort of break. And, at least, we won't have to worry about getting through an airport

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We're off on our first holiday for three years next week. Nothing fancy, a canal barge on the Kennet and Avon. But after a stressful few months, with Mrs G in hospital for a short while and my mum dying, it will be good to have any sort of break. And, at least, we won't have to worry about getting through an airport

Hope it all goes well for you and the weather is kind.
Many years ago, my then girlfriend and I plus her two young children hired a boat on the river Ouse. Sadly the weather was so atrocious we gave up and came back early. To make up for the disappointment, I paid for them to go to Bournemouth for a few days about 3 weeks later and luckily the sun shone!
I am sure you will have a great time and will be well chilled cruising down the Kennet and Avon. It certainly can be a very relaxing holiday.:thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hope it all goes well for you and the weather is kind.
Many years ago, my then girlfriend and I plus her two young children hired a boat on the river Ouse. Sadly the weather was so atrocious we gave up and came back early. To make up for the disappointment, I paid for them to go to Bournemouth for a few days about 3 weeks later and luckily the sun shone!
I am sure you will have a great time and will be well chilled cruising down the Kennet and Avon. It certainly can be a very relaxing holiday.:thumbsup:

It was great fun and the kids really got into it. I thought a pair of stroppy teenagers would be a bit moody but they loved all the activity. The only one who wasn't impressed was the dog - she didn't think much of a home that was moving around :)

I certainly recommend a canal trip for a good family experience.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

It's a very pleasant canal! Enjoy Caen Hill Locks if you do that section :thumbsup:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Do you have a better translation for your strap line than google translate can manage...'I work short, I become obscure'. Cheers!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do you have a better translation for your strap line than google translate can manage...'I work short, I become obscure'. Cheers!

When I struggle to be brief, I become obscure - the cry of writers down the ages (at least the ones paid by the word)

I should add that it's a quote from Horace - who's full of little epigrams like this

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here