Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
https://apply.joinsherpa.com/map?affiliateId=sherpa&language=en-US

Useful map of countries and their covid entry requirements, and you can select whether you are jabbed or unjabbed.

Thanks Marty - that's an excellent resource, and very handy to keep in the favourites. Last month Mrs Dolphins and I, along with the Dolphin calves, did a cruise from Malta to various locations in Croatia, Italy, Greece, and Turkey, so had to keep my wits about me with the differing entry requirements (principally Malta and Italy, who both required the dPLF for entry).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We just booked the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness and going to hire a car and do the North Coast 500. Really looking forward to it.

Look out for the best T-Junction signage ever:

< Scrabster Tongue >

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Was after some info from a travel guru.

I've booked Orlando up next Easter and got some cheap (ish) flights from Air Canada to keep the costs down that connect in Montreal and then go onwards to the USA. When I booked the flights, I erroneously believed that I wouldn't need to clear customs which would happen in the USA. Therefore, the connection time between flights I booked is relatively short as I didn't think I'd be fannying around going through customs and it wouldn't be an issue. As it happens, I will need to get through US customs in Monreal airport and it is by all accounts it's an absolute Weston Super-Mare. The US customs desk is understaffed and queues are huge meaning I've got no chance of making the connecting flight and all that goes with it with a wife and 2 kids. That might change by next Easter but I'd rather not try and find out.

I tried to change to an earlier Air Canada flight (that frustratingly wasn't availble when I booked) but they are after an extra £600 notes. That seems steep given they've booked me into something I currently can't achieve and they'd have to get me to the USA as its a single booking.

My basic question is will I get anywhere if I complain - politely and in writing naturally - or am I best off waiting for the scheduled changes which might not happen (detailed in the link below) and trying my luck then? It seems I'd be entitled to compo if I did complain after the event (not 100% clear) so I'm guessing its in an airlines interest ot make sure I make it.

Any advise welcome.

https://www.pointsnerd.ca/how-to-take-advantage-of-schedule-changes-2/

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

I've booked Orlando up next Easter and got some cheap (ish) flights from Air Canada to keep the costs down that connect in Montreal and then go onwards to the USA. When I booked the flights, I erroneously believed that I wouldn't need to clear customs which would happen in the USA. Therefore, the connection time between flights I booked is relatively short as I didn't think I'd be fannying around going through customs and it wouldn't be an issue. As it happens, I will need to get through US customs in Monreal airport and it is by all accounts it's an absolute Weston Super-Mare. The US customs desk is understaffed and queues are huge meaning I've got no chance of making the connecting flight and all that goes with it with a wife and 2 kids. That might change by next Easter but I'd rather not try and find out.

I tried to change to an earlier Air Canada flight (that frustratingly wasn't availble when I booked) but they are after an extra £600 notes. That seems steep given they've booked me into something I currently can't achieve and they'd have to get me to the USA as its a single booking.

My basic question is will I get anywhere if I complain - politely and in writing naturally - or am I best off waiting for the scheduled changes which might not happen (detailed in the link below) and trying my luck then? It seems I'd be entitled to compo if I did complain after the event (not 100% clear) so I'm guessing its in an airlines interest ot make sure I make it.

Any advise welcome.

Hi

You didn't state your connection time, however airlines will only sell you connecting flights (assuming they are all on the same ticket?) on the basis of meeting "minimum connection times" as detailed on Air Canada's website:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/check-in-information/minimum-connection-times.html#/

So assuming what you have booked is within the realms of their minimum connection times, then any complaint would be a non starter. Yes....schedule changes are rife at the moment (and I've been getting a few from Air Canada) that's not to say that you will definitely get one and if you did, it might be advantageous or it might not (you could go from a 2hr connection to a 1hr 30min connection and it will still be valid) The general rule of thumb with schedule changes is that if they are within a 12hr window, you have to suck up the change or agree another change. Outside of 12hrs and you are entitled to a full refund (this does vary by airline) If you do miss the connection, Air Canada have to pop you on the next available flight (assuming its down to not clearing Customs/delayed inbound flight and not that you got through Customs and got "on it" in an airport bar and missed the flight!)

As there is a lot of scaremongering out there at the moment, it's in the Airline's interest to get you through Customs ASAP as missing connecting flights costs them money. I've personally done a few connecting flights in the last month (albeit not involving US Customs) and they have been a breeze, but seeing pictures of Manchester Airport particularly, that's the other side of the coin. It's a long way off, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it currently if I were in your shoes.....

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Hi

You didn't state your connection time, however airlines will only sell you connecting flights (assuming they are all on the same ticket?) on the basis of meeting "minimum connection times" as detailed on Air Canada's website:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/check-in-information/minimum-connection-times.html#/

So assuming what you have booked is within the realms of their minimum connection times, then any complaint would be a non starter. Yes....schedule changes are rife at the moment (and I've been getting a few from Air Canada) that's not to say that you will definitely get one and if you did, it might be advantageous or it might not (you could go from a 2hr connection to a 1hr 30min connection and it will still be valid) The general rule of thumb with schedule changes is that if they are within a 12hr window, you have to suck up the change or agree another change. Outside of 12hrs and you are entitled to a full refund (this does vary by airline) If you do miss the connection, Air Canada have to pop you on the next available flight (assuming its down to not clearing Customs/delayed inbound flight and not that you got through Customs and got "on it" in an airport bar and missed the flight!)
r.
As there is a lot of scaremongering out there at the moment, it's in the Airline's interest to get you through Customs ASAP as missing connecting flights costs them money. I've personally done a few connecting flights in the last month (albeit not involving US Customs) and they have been a breeze, but seeing pictures of Manchester Airport particularly, that's the other side of the coin. It's a long way off, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it currently if I were in your shoes.....

Thanks for the reply - appreciated. It's 1hr 45 mins so it's a non starter complaining on that basis. I'll play the waiting game and see what happens (they are on the same ticket). One question you may or may not know the answer to. Looking at the schedule, it's the last flight to Tampa of the day so if the worst were to happen would we get put up in a hotel (notwithstanding we are transiting Canada and I doubt we would be able to leave the airport) and do airlines have any scope for changes to the itinery? What I'm getting at, is that there appears to be a flights to Orlando after the Tampa one which would be an option and save us doing a Tom Hanks at the airport.

I live near Birmingham and it's just as bad at the minute. They are queuing out the door.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Eldest son had planned to travel to the Far East in Spring / Summer 2020 - but we all know what happened with travel plans at that time, so.....

- Hes off to Crete on Saturday with his G/F for a week...
- Then flies to California with us at the end of June, for 2 weeks in San Diego & LA...
- Then hes off to Marrakesh in August to climb Mt. Toubkal in the Atlas Mountains...

...Before he starts Uni in September.

Making the most of being young and able to afford these things while he can :D

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I came to realise connecting flights are a bit of a false economy, saves a bit of cash vs direct - but the hassle of going through the whole de-boarding and re-boarding far outweighs the saving. Just get me there with minimum drama! I've done it a few times but never again if I can avoid it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks for the reply - appreciated. It's 1hr 45 mins so it's a non starter complaining on that basis. I'll play the waiting game and see what happens (they are on the same ticket). One question you may or may not know the answer to. Looking at the schedule, it's the last flight to Tampa of the day so if the worst were to happen would we get put up in a hotel (notwithstanding we are transiting Canada and I doubt we would be able to leave the airport) and do airlines have any scope for changes to the itinery? What I'm getting at, is that there appears to be a flights to Orlando after the Tampa one which would be an option and save us doing a Tom Hanks at the airport.

I live near Birmingham and it's just as bad at the minute. They are queuing out the door.

I'd not rely on a US airline doing anything to help you if you get stuck at immigration or similar. They'll put you on a flight but they have no duty of care for hotels etc. But you would be able to leave the airport / airside and sort something yourself. Travel Insurance might be useful though

To be fair although short, 1 h 45 min should be OK. Even at a rammed JFK last week, with only 3 TSA desks open we made it through and had bags in just over an hour.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I came to realise connecting flights are a bit of a false economy, saves a bit of cash vs direct - but the hassle of going through the whole de-boarding and re-boarding far outweighs the saving. Just get me there with minimum drama! I've done it a few times but never again if I can avoid it.

I agree but it is 2.7 grand versus 6 so I thought I'd suck it up on this occasion. To be honest it's my fault for not checking the customs bit properly. I'm sure my wife won't remind me of that this time next year and be calm and rational about the whole situation should we run into any issues.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

They "should" put you up in a Hotel overnight. I say "should", that's the regulations but some airlines don't do it on occasions, but Air Canada should be fine.

Getting on the Orlando flight as opposed to the Tampa flight - in theory that could be accommodated but how would they know you were happy to go to Orlando? I suspect that's one to have "up your sleeve" so to speak, if the worst does happen. Just pray you don't get a jobsworth who trots out the line "computer says no", because I'm pretty sure that's what the computer would say, but we all know there are ways around systems! If you wanted to change it up front, it would all depend on your fare conditions, which in all probability will say penalty admin fees and difference in flight costs. May I trot out the Travel Agent line? If you'd booked a package on a deposit fare for the flights, we'd cancel down the booked flight and rebook it on the new flights to Orlando - yes it would be difference in fare, but no penalty admin fees ;-)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Any advise welcome.

I wouldn't sweat too much on this.

Firstly you're committed now so there's little in your control.

Secondly, there may well be schedule changes before then - it's a long time away - that could work in your favour.

Thirdly, and more importantly, Air Canada have to get you to Orlando as you're booked on one ticket so, shoud the worst happen, they'll get you on another flight. There's no guarantee they'll get you on the very next flight - it may already be booked up - but they'll sort you out. I just picked a random day next March and, on that day, they have two direct PM flights to MCO - 16:30 and 20:00. So, if you're due to be on an afternoon flight, there'll likely be the chance of a later evening flight should it come to it.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
I'd not rely on a US airline doing anything to help you if you get stuck at immigration or similar. They'll put you on a flight but they have no duty of care for hotels etc. But you would be able to leave the airport / airside and sort something yourself. Travel Insurance might be useful though

To be fair although short, 1 h 45 min should be OK. Even at a rammed JFK last week, with only 3 TSA desks open we made it through and had bags in just over an hour.

All depends on the destination and the quality of the airlines involved, plus flight timings can be important. I have customers that would connect twice instead of once to save £30 - we are all different. A lot of people would rather save money by connecting with airlines like Emirates, Etihad and Qatar than fly direct with BA - each to their own.

Personally, we flew indirect to Belek for our golf tours with Turkish. Flew overnight from Heathrow, connected in Istanbul and got to our hotel at 9am to "get on it" (golf had to wait!) Earliest direct flight got us there late afternoon. Also coming back we could get a morning flight as opposed to waiting around all day for an evening flight, so we were back home at 4pm to keep the other halfs happy. Also free food and drink plus IFE on Turkish, none of that on Jet2, Easyjet etc....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wouldn't sweat too much on this.

Firstly you're committed now so there's little in your control.

Secondly, there may well be schedule changes before then - it's a long time away - that could work in your favour.

Thirdly, and more importantly, Air Canada have to get you to Orlando as you're booked on one ticket so, shoud the worst happen, they'll get you on another flight. There's no guarantee they'll get you on the very next flight - it may already be booked up - but they'll sort you out. I just picked a random day next March and, on that day, they have two direct PM flights to MCO - 16:30 and 20:00. So, if you're due to be on an afternoon flight, there'll likely be the chance of a later evening flight should it come to it.

Sorry - I've just seen the subsequent posts that invalidate much of that - flying to Tampa, for example.

I still wouldn't sweat it too much - we've flown indirect to Florida many times before and never missed a connection. If your flight gets off the ground in the UK in good time, you'll likely be in Montreal ahead of schedule, which will buy you back a bit more time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Flying to Florida in the UK school holidays can be eye-wateringly expensive on the few direct options. You could be looking at £1200+ for an economy seat.

If you get lucky with timing, you could get an indirect routing with one of the major US carriers for £400-500 (somtimes even a little under that). WIth a family of four, of more, that's a big chunk of cash.

You also get to clear immigration wherever you touch down, meaning you can breeze straight through MCO (or wherever) which helps ease any pain somewhat.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Sorry - I've just seen the subsequent posts that invalidate much of that - flying to Tampa, for example.

I still wouldn't sweat it too much - we've flown indirect to Florida many times before and never missed a connection. If your flight gets off the ground in the UK in good time, you'll likely be in Montreal ahead of schedule, which will buy you back a bit more time.

How fitting you should reply. I remember you posted on the original Orlando thread that I would be back and I scoffed at the notion thinking "not at those prices" yet here we are. My nervousness is based on a shitshow in Atlanta a few years back. There were about 20 immigration desks. 10 for the Yanks and 10 for the rest of the World. The American ones were fully staffed no queue and the ROW ones had about 3 staff operating at sloth speed. Needless to say, we missed the connection albeit it was no big deal as we got another flight an hour later. As you say, I'm sure they will get me to Tampa one way or another, I could do without the inevitable earache that would entail and I'd rather de risk it if I could. By the sounds of it, I just need to sit tight for now.

Whilst you are on, I'm currently looking at booking up one of the 3 Universal hotels that give out the express passes for just one night. I was going to book the Royal Pacific but parking appears to be at a premium which put me off given time will be of the essence when we arrive to check in, get to early opening and then take advantage of the passes. I can't be arsed driving around for a space and making wanker signals at anyone who nabs one ahead of me. I wondered if you had any experience of any of them or if Valet parking solves the issue - at another expense of course.

Also, we will do Disney as the kids are bang up for the new Star wars stuff. This new genie plus thing would give those who slag off Barber for monetising the Albion nightmares.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
EasyJet:facepalm:

Summary ..
daughter with husband and children aged 3 and 6 book holiday with them a year ago…due to leave for Kos today…last Friday the company cancelled it …no reason given… “because we can” was the explanation…booked another for same day to Crete ..later flights ..but hey ho….flight delayed…not a lot of communication..then suddenly get told to get to x point…bundled on a bus ..packed in like sardines ..get halfway across the ‘runway’ buss halted ..someone gets on and shouts out ..flight cancelled …that was an hour ago…thirty mins ago they are still in exactly the same position, stuck on a buss on a runway :moo:

I’m livid and I’m not even going ..what a way to run a business

Last edited:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
EasyJet:facepalm:

Summary ..
daughter with husband and children aged 3 and 6 book holiday with them a year ago…due to leave for Kos today…last Friday the company cancelled it …no reason given… “because we can” was the explanation…booked another for same day to Crete ..later flights ..but hey ho….flight delayed…not a lot of communication..then suddenly get told to get to x point…bundled on a bus ..packed in like sardines ..get halfway across the ‘runway’ buss halted ..someone gets on and shouts out ..flight cancelled …that was an hour ago…thirty mins ago they are still in exactly the same position, stuck on a buss on a runway :moo:

I’m livid and I’m not even going ..what a way to run a business

Currently at Gatwick waiting on customers that arrived 2 hours late
Happening a lot at moment on daily basis … no staff,layed them off in pandemic struggling to recruit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Currently at Gatwick waiting on customers that arrived 2 hours late
Happening a lot at moment on daily basis … no staff,layed them off in pandemic struggling to recruit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the EasyJet Facebook page it’s a sorry tale….I see Simon Calder reported in The Independent that EasyFail yesterday at the last minute cancelled thirty odd planes flying out of London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here