Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

holiday hotel wifi rip off

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why is the reaction to someone wanting to use their devices on holiday as crazy. I enjoy having the opportunity to sit with my ipad round a pool (in the shade as can't read the bloody thing in the sun) and surf the net without always having to worry about checking for work emails etc, I also us ethe ipad to upload all my photos into the cloud that I take while away in case for any reason I lose memory cards etc the holiday snaps are stored away. To me all that is an enjoyable part of the holiday. I leave my work phone at home so I can't be contactable by work colleagues etc but having the ipad and my phone to use whilst away is a pleasure. Everyone enjoys their down time in different ways whether with or without technology. It doesn't mean they are enjoying their holiday or free time any less.

Nailed it, plus it's hugely useful for researching things to do locally, opening hours, routes, restaurants etc and booking stuff (last year I booked a fishing trip, speedboat hire etc). Work blackberry stays at home.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Had this in many hotels. Can't use two devices at a time, but can log one off and the other on using the same credentials (usually a password on a till receipt from reception or similar) usually. They don't tell you this.......

Couldn't you just log on with one device and then tether your second one?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most people have misunderstood this moan it is not about whether or not a person should take their phone tablet or laptop on holiday. If it was, it could to also be levelled at TV in the room , why when on holiday did you need to watch the soaps etc. This is a question of being in the 21st century when most people have 1, 2 or 3 devices that use wifi why is the service restricted to only 1 device. To me this seems ridiculous and outdated.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That's easy for YOU to say. How about if you were left to your own appliances? ???
In that case, I would pick up a brochure about the sun and learn to ignore what the photographer saw. I would probably then leave you and say goodbye. Or maybe I could love you if I try.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tablet to read my book phone to keep in contact not difficult to understand. I didnt think

If you have a Kindle app on your tablet, you could download the book. You wouldn't need the internet to read it. Amazon have loads of free ones too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you have a Kindle app on your tablet, you could download the book. You wouldn't need the internet to read it. Amazon have loads of free ones too.

I have that and use it but still have to take tablet and phone and while having both want to use them. Am I wrong to believe that in the 21st century hotels shouldnt be restricting the wifi to 1 appliance. Wifi is so cheap and accessible world wide.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Most people have misunderstood this moan it is not about whether or not a person should take their phone tablet or laptop on holiday.

Keep taking the tablets, BG.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I enjoy surfing the net, I find it relaxing, that doesn't go away because I'm in a different country. I quite like being able to stay connected while I'm abroad, it used to be a lot harder to keep in touch with friends and family but it really doesn't matter any more. I don't go on holiday to escape my life at home, I like my life at home! It's just nice to go to different places, especially places with guaranteed sunshine.

That doesn't mean i've got anything against people who want to disconnect themselves, each to their own!

Does anyone remember before mobile phones? I only had a couple of trips by myself before they were widespread, but in the livelier resorts there used to be queues of people at public telephones so people could call home, it's kind of unthinkable now :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have that and use it but still have to take tablet and phone and while having both want to use them. Am I wrong to believe that in the 21st century hotels shouldnt be restricting the wifi to 1 appliance. Wifi is so cheap and accessible world wide.

It's called making a profit. Most businesses do it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't understand why your mobile needs wifi? I get wifi for my ipad, but my phone calls use the local network.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Is being glued to a tablet / phone any worse than being immersed in a damn good paperback ? Over an 11-14 day holiday I quite often get through 4 or 5 books while I'm loafing around by the pool or on the beach.
Fair enough. I guess it depends what sort of person you are. I wouldn't pay hundreds to go somewhere to read a book.

My idea of a holiday is exploring and meeting people, seeing things.

My job doesn't allow me to sit about during the day. I do that in the evenings. Maybe we are all creatures of habit.

If you are a desk job, it must be a great opprtunity to not sit down all day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't understand why your mobile needs wifi? I get wifi for my ipad, but my phone calls use the local network.

Mine doesnt, but wifes I phone does, as does mine, hers, and my granddaughters Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Perhaps I have got it wrong and the phones dont need wifi but wife says it does. I dont have a modern touch phone just a Doro for the hard of hearing with no internet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here