Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

holiday hotel wifi rip off

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When I go on holiday the last thing I worry about is my phone or tablet. For 2 weeks of the year I'm delighted to get away from the damn things. If I really need to make a call I'd use the phone at the hotel I was staying. If you can't go away without your devices why go on holiday at all!

Spot on.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Just returned from 1 weeks holiday. The hotel advertise free wifi, which it was in the bar for 30 mins unsecured. Secured was available €10 for 5 days €30 for 1 month. There for a week so paid for 10 days €20 which was ok.BUT it only covered 1 appliance. I had phone and tablet so did wife, granddaughter had a tablet so total 5 appliances. Most people in the 21st century have similar. Bars, McDonalds etc offer free wifi for unlimited appliances. Why should hotels not offer the same other than to make extra money and rip off the residents.

A rip off for sure but much cheaper than paying the phone companies direct if youre abroad (been burnt!)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I always take my iPad away and always make sure our hotel has free wifi - they nearly all do. Most of our holidays normally encompass some time in a city so it's handy sorting out good bars and restaurants in your area during that period before you go out for the evening.
I mean how else will I know where the craft beer bars are in Bologna.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is being glued to a tablet / phone any worse than being immersed in a damn good paperback ? Over an 11-14 day holiday I quite often get through 4 or 5 books while I'm loafing around by the pool or on the beach.

The good thing about the book though is that no one rings, texts or you can't see emails. :)

Jan 30, 2008
I always take my iPad away and always make sure our hotel has free wifi - they nearly all do. Most of our holidays normally encompass some time in a city so it's handy sorting out good bars and restaurants in your area during that period before you go out for the evening.
I mean how else will I know where the craft beer bars are in Bologna.

couldn't you do that before leave the country, ever tried trip advisor :facepalm::rolleyes:
regards
DR

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just as an example I spilt some tomato from a tapas down a white polo shirt so googled how to remove it while still wet and found the answer, end result shirt not ruined.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had no objection to paying, although the hotel advertised free wifi, which was correct in the bar. My objection was that it was restricted to 1 appliance which in the 21st century is ridiculous for couples.

Ours was limited to one device too. Hotel bahai princess, Adece in Teneriffe. Another hotel in the posher German area had fee wifi and we tapped into that every now and again. Mostly to use star walk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The rates were for either 1, 3 5 or 10 days. I would think the vast majority of holiday makers go for 7 10 or 14 days or even a month, so why not cover those periods of time. The hotel we stayed at in October allowed unlimited wifi for a designated time on receipt of payment for the password which was allocated to your room number and it contained your surname eg a1b2c3smith 111. Which was allocated at sign in and cancelled on sign out. Very simple.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The rates were for either 1, 3 5 or 10 days. I would think the vast majority of holiday makers go for 7 10 or 14 days or even a month, so why not cover those periods of time. The hotel we stayed at in October allowed unlimited wifi for a designated time on receipt of payment for the password which was allocated to your room number and it contained your surname eg a1b2c3smith 111. Which was allocated at sign in and cancelled on sign out. Very simple.

Why not take a step back, take a deep breath, and have a very serious word with yourself? Why on EARTH do you even bother going on 'holiday'? ???

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why not take a step back, take a deep breath, and have a very serious word with yourself? Why on EARTH do you even bother going on 'holiday'? ???

Some people cannot live without NSC

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I would assume that by using such irregular time blocks they'd be able to convince people to spend more over the course of their stay. It would still cater for those holidaymakers who're there for the month, they'd just be paying through the nose.

If the hotel is willing to monetise the wifi access in the first place why would you be surprised when they take steps to increase it further?

Also, I'm confused by the idea of 'unlimited wifi for a designated time'. Do you mean unlimited over the course of your stay or unlimited at certain periods, making it very much limited?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I use my tablet for many things on holiday not least for e reading instead of a book or kindle. Having a granddaughter wth Lukaemia wife and I like to be easily contacted, is this wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Also, I'm confused by the idea of 'unlimited wifi for a designated time'. Do you mean unlimited over the course of your stay or unlimited at certain periods, making it very much limited?

It was as if at home any number of devices for 24 hours a day for in our case 8 days at the rate as advertised. We paid the money, got given the password and used it until we checked out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ours was limited to one device too. Hotel bahai princess, Adece in Teneriffe. Another hotel in the posher German area had fee wifi and we tapped into that every now and again. Mostly to use star walk

Had this in many hotels. Can't use two devices at a time, but can log one off and the other on using the same credentials (usually a password on a till receipt from reception or similar) usually. They don't tell you this.......

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Why is the reaction to someone wanting to use their devices on holiday as crazy. I enjoy having the opportunity to sit with my ipad round a pool (in the shade as can't read the bloody thing in the sun) and surf the net without always having to worry about checking for work emails etc, I also us ethe ipad to upload all my photos into the cloud that I take while away in case for any reason I lose memory cards etc the holiday snaps are stored away. To me all that is an enjoyable part of the holiday. I leave my work phone at home so I can't be contactable by work colleagues etc but having the ipad and my phone to use whilst away is a pleasure. Everyone enjoys their down time in different ways whether with or without technology. It doesn't mean they are enjoying their holiday or free time any less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here