Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoax nurse found dead

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I can see both sides of this but have little sympathy for the DJs.

To my mind there is still too decorum surrounding the Royal Family in the UK which is not the case in other Commonwealth countries. I really can't be doing with all the inane questions and press reports on them ("do you feel better ma'am"?). Because of this the reaction to this prank call was maybe a bit over the top as Aussies see them more as celebrities.

However, the Royal Family are massively respected and revered. A prank call should never have been made both because what Kate was going through was very private and because of the consequences for others - which is what has happened here with tragic circumstances.

As has already been said on here, these two DJs have previous with regard to impact on others - and they have learnt nothing. Messing Around-with other people's lives in the name of fun, however fair the game, rarely has good consequences.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not such a hoax now, perhaps they should be put on trial in UK

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The DJs did not make the choice to end the nurse's life. The nurse did (or at least that is how it is thought). She had many choices available and it was her that appeared to choose suicide. So I can't blame them for causing her death.

Nevertheless, we never truly know what shit the people we've never met may be going through in their lives, how emotionally resilient they are or not, what flak they have to endure because of our actions. For not knowing that, and still carrying out their hoax without any care as to the consequences, is truly reprehensible behaviour. They may not have intended the nurse to die but the fact they did not is a worthless defence. It would have changed nothing about the final outcome of the hoax.

AgerBomb22

Jun 2, 2011
Chi Town/Burgess Hill
Found this statement on their offical facebook page:

"Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) and 2Day FM are deeply saddened by the tragic news of the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha from King Edward VII’s Hospital and we extend our deepest sympathies to her family and all that have been affected by this situation around the world.

Chief Executive Officer Rhys Holleran has spoken with the presenters, they are both deeply shocked and at this time we have agreed that they not comment about the circumstances. SCA and the hosts have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy"

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Found this statement on their offical facebook page:

"Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) and 2Day FM are deeply saddened by the tragic news of the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha from King Edward VII’s Hospital and we extend our deepest sympathies to her family and all that have been affected by this situation around the world.

Chief Executive Officer Rhys Holleran has spoken with the presenters, they are both deeply shocked and at this time we have agreed that they not comment about the circumstances. SCA and the hosts have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy"

Still no taking responsibility, I see...

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I blame the press for making such a bloody big issue out of morning sickness which happens to most women during pregnancy.
Now they have something else to get stuck into.
There you go ,that's who I'm blaming.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I'm with [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION] on this. Sure, noone could have predicted that she would have killed herself, but this sort of prank was never going to be something anyone could just laugh off with the story being so high profile.

There is a huge difference between pranking a book store by asking for 'the cliffhanger' by Eileen Dover, and pranking an institute that cares for sick people, where the staff are already under an immense amount of pressure, working pretty horrible shifts for not much money at all, whilst having the responsibility of people's lives on their hands with just one mistake. It doesn't take much foresight to realise that such a 'joke' might not be a great idea.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
If she did commit suicide, you would have to be a moron of the highest rank to blame the DJ's for her killing herself. They asked her to be put through on the phone. That is all. Get off your mindless bandwaggon.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Sorry for THEM? They won't have an ounce of genuine sympathy at all. They'll just carry on with their job of being evil horrible obnoxious people. Right now all I feel is the torment and anguish that the nurse went through and her family and friends will do for the rest of their lives. :down:

I have to agree. An appalling 'look at me aren't I funny 'joke' backfires with horrific consequnces.

In all seriousness that will make me think before I post some flippant responses to people on here. One never knows what state of mind someone can be in and what precisely the straw is that will break the camels back.

Absolutely horrific.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Perhaps someone should dress up as Aussie coppers and go round the respective DJ's houses when their partners are out, and tell them they have died in a car crash. I'm sure they would see the funny side

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Am I missing something here. Because for me the BBC has blood on their hands.

Has anyone actually heard the prank call ??? It was completely harmless. All it was was the two being put through and the nurse telling us pretty much what we knew. It was so light hearted and did NOT really intrude on Kate's privacy. I actually found it quite funny and just a bit silly. Heck even Prince Charles found it funny.

Now the problem here is that the BBC portrayed it as being some sort of outrageous intrusion of privacy. The BBC are so over the top into the royal family, they treat the slightest splinter of a royals finger as head line news. It's utterly sickening the amount of coverage they get. I'm no fan of the royals but neither am I against them. Some people like them, we live in a tolerant society so I have no objection to the monarchy.

But for the BBC to react the way they did to the hoax and make it out to be such as crime both by the Ozzy's and the hospital employees, for me they are liable for this death. Consider their coverage and then consider the hospital employees feelings and imagine if one of them was emotionally unstable.

Another example of the BBC being disgraceful this year.

The way they slated those Ozzy radio guys as well as the hospital employee was discusting.

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
It wouldn't be to outlandish to imagine our very own gutter press 'journalists' climbing all over this poor lady, her family, her friends and her past just digging and intruding into her life for a different angle on the story and a sensationalist weekend headline to sell a few more copies of their respective rags.

Or it could have been Prince Phillip . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here