Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoax nurse found dead

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That still doesn't answer why none of them asked "Kate who?"

Kate could be a nurse, a cleaner, a cook, a visitor, a patient or even a wrong number.

Culture has absolutely nothing to do with that question. Yet not once was it asked to ascertain who the caller was wanting to speak too.

Are we to believe that in India if someone rings a Hospital and asks for Sidharth that they don't ask for a surname?

Something isn't right, yet among all the angst nobody has bothered to ask "Kate who?".

You're ignoring the fact that everyone in the hospital probably knew for certain that 'Kate Middleton' was in residence and the accents used, no matter how ridiculous to most of us, may well have meant the nurse knew exactly who 'Kate' was.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
They can all understand it, they just choose not to. If you're going to make a point that goes against the grain you need to make sure everything in there is watertight, otherwise some posters will use any discrepancies to deliberately miss the point and avoid debating a perfectly valid subject so as to focus on a side issue to try and make you look silly. In this case it was use of the term PC!

Reading back, I think it would have advanced Twizzle's argument if he used the more precise term 'social etiquette' rather than the much more loaded 'political correctness.' Political correctness has become such a catch-all, ambiguous term liable to take this discussion about the suicide in a different direction to the one he wants.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
At last we have Morrissey's take on the whole thing. His damning verdict? Kate Middleton is directly responsible because she should not have been in hospital in the first place.

Morrissey blames royal family for nurse's death

Singer criticises Duchess of Cambridge over the suspected suicide of Jacintha Saldanha, saying 'she feels no shame about the death of this woman'

Morrissey has blamed the royal family for the suspected suicide of Jacintha Saldanha. The singer accused the royals of "staggering arrogance" following the death of Saldanha, a nurse who was tricked by two Australian DJs into revealing details of the Duchess of Cambridge's pregnancy.

"It wasn't because of two DJs in Australia that this woman took her own life, it was the pressure around her," Morrissey told New Zealand's 3News. While much of this stress can be blamed on the press, he said, or the "maximum pressure [of] … the Palace and Clarence House," he called on the duchess to take direct responsibility.

"[She] was in the hospital, as far as I could see, for absolutely no reason," the singer said. "She feels no shame about the death of this woman, she's saying nothing about the death of this poor woman. The arrogance of the British royals is absolutely staggering."

Morrissey has even accused Kate Middleton of being in hospital for spurious reasons, despite doctors diagnosing her with the serious complaint known as hyperemesis gravidarum. "Does she have a health condition?" the singer asked. "Is it anorexia or is it pregnancy? … I mean morning sickness already? So much hoo haw and then suddenly as bright as a button as soon as this poor woman dies she's out of hospital? It doesn't ring true."

This is in stark contrast to the medical evidence, which views hyperemesis gravidarum as a serious medical condition with symptoms that include 24-hour periods of vomiting and dehydration. Hospitalisation is a common consequence for those who suffer from it.

Buckingham Palace must receive "thousands" of prank calls every day, the 53-year-old said. Blaming the incident on the DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, "is just a way of distracting people". "The fact they got so far probably astonished them beyond belief. But the pressure put on the woman who connected the callers was probably so enormous that she took her own life … And we forget about that and of course the royals are exonerated as always."

Morrissey is a long-time critic of the monarchy. "They're absolutely horrible people," he said last year, on American TV. "I think they're arrogant, horrible dictators."

Greig and Christian have both apologised for their prank call, as has their employer, 2DayFM. According to the Associated Press, executives at the radio station could face criminal charges for airing the conversation without its participants' consent.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Also, WTF was her husband up to during all of this if he couldn't support his own wife though a troubling time. Mabye I'm missing some sort of cultural difference here :shrug:

We can all speculate, but one thing is for certain - what we've been told doesn't stack up and there's more to it than we know.

it's being reported that the husband and children did not know about the hoax at the hospital until they heard about the nurse's death. It seems that she did not say anything to them.

It has often been said that once people have made the decision to commit suicide, they can become amazingly calm. Perhaps that helped her to hide the fact that all was not well with her.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
They can all understand it, they just choose not to. If you're going to make a point that goes against the grain you need to make sure everything in there is watertight, otherwise some posters will use any discrepancies to deliberately miss the point and avoid debating a perfectly valid subject so as to focus on a side issue to try and make you look silly. In this case it was use of the term PC!

I often believe this is the case, but it is them what do it that seem silly.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You're ignoring the fact that everyone in the hospital probably knew for certain that 'Kate Middleton' was in residence and the accents used, no matter how ridiculous to most of us, may well have meant the nurse knew exactly who 'Kate' was.

So what if they knew she was in residence?

Does that still mean you won't enquire as to "Kate who?" as a measure of security or at the least so that you don't look like an idiot and put them through to the wrong person.

What kind of an person doesn't find out exactly who the person is looking for. Especially at a hospital. That's totally unprofessional.

This is just such a basic and normally instinctive reaction by 99% of people when fielding a call from someone they don't know.

There's no way that nurse could have known for certain they meant Kate Middleton and can't believe the most basic phone protocol was some how missing.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
At last we have Morrissey's take on the whole thing. His damning verdict? Kate Middleton is directly responsible because she should not have been in hospital in the first place.

Singer criticises Duchess of Cambridge over the suspected suicide of Jacintha Saldanha, saying 'she feels no shame about the death of this woman'

Morrissey has blamed the royal family for the suspected suicide of Jacintha Saldanha. The singer accused the royals of "staggering arrogance" following the death of Saldanha, a nurse who was tricked by two Australian DJs into revealing details of the Duchess of Cambridge's pregnancy.

"It wasn't because of two DJs in Australia that this woman took her own life, it was the pressure around her," Morrissey told New Zealand's 3News. While much of this stress can be blamed on the press, he said, or the "maximum pressure [of] … the Palace and Clarence House," he called on the duchess to take direct responsibility.

"[She] was in the hospital, as far as I could see, for absolutely no reason," the singer said. "She feels no shame about the death of this woman, she's saying nothing about the death of this poor woman. The arrogance of the British royals is absolutely staggering."

Morrissey has even accused Kate Middleton of being in hospital for spurious reasons, despite doctors diagnosing her with the serious complaint known as hyperemesis gravidarum. "Does she have a health condition?" the singer asked. "Is it anorexia or is it pregnancy? … I mean morning sickness already? So much hoo haw and then suddenly as bright as a button as soon as this poor woman dies she's out of hospital? It doesn't ring true."

This is in stark contrast to the medical evidence, which views hyperemesis gravidarum as a serious medical condition with symptoms that include 24-hour periods of vomiting and dehydration. Hospitalisation is a common consequence for those who suffer from it.

Buckingham Palace must receive "thousands" of prank calls every day, the 53-year-old said. Blaming the incident on the DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, "is just a way of distracting people". "The fact they got so far probably astonished them beyond belief. But the pressure put on the woman who connected the callers was probably so enormous that she took her own life … And we forget about that and of course the royals are exonerated as always."

Morrissey is a long-time critic of the monarchy. "They're absolutely horrible people," he said last year, on American TV. "I think they're arrogant, horrible dictators."

Greig and Christian have both apologised for their prank call, as has their employer, 2DayFM. According to the Associated Press, executives at the radio station could face criminal charges for airing the conversation without its participants' consent.

With his history of self publicising rhetoric, not least this and his recent comments in Argentina,... I conclude that this northern twat is a first class KOONT.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Further evidence that the guy hasn't a clue!!!!!

So what if they knew she was in residence?

Does that still mean you won't enquire as to "Kate who?" as a measure of security or at the least so that you don't look like an idiot and put them through to the wrong person.

What kind of an person doesn't find out exactly who the person is looking for. Especially at a hospital. That's totally unprofessional.

This is just such a basic and normally instinctive reaction by 99% of people when fielding a call from someone they don't know.

There's no way that nurse could have known for certain they meant Kate Middleton and can't believe the most basic phone protocol was some how missing.

Firstly, I, like you, don't blame the DJs for her death. I blame the hospital. Having said that, you do yourself a dis-service with comments like that. This is a nurse, not a receptionist, and she hears voice that she believes is that of the Queen and you think she is going to engage is some security protocol to establish which 'Kate' the Queen may be referring to! Get real. It's like just because you can spot it was a prank call you look down your nose at someone who fell for it. The problem is that the hospital didn't have a receptionist on duty who would know how to handle these types of phone calls.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Firstly, I, like you, don't blame the DJs for her death. I blame the hospital. Having said that, you do yourself a dis-service with comments like that. This is a nurse, not a receptionist, and she hears voice that she believes is that of the Queen and you think she is going to engage is some security protocol to establish which 'Kate' the Queen may be referring to! Get real. It's like just because you can spot it was a prank call you look down your nose at someone who fell for it. The problem is that the hospital didn't have a receptionist on duty who would know how to handle these types of phone calls.

I actually work on telephone systems in a few hospitals, the bigger one's in London tend to have a 24 hour switchboard. The smaller private hospitals tend to divert all their main number calls to a ward once switchboard closes (because there's only 1 or 2 wards), which I guess is what happened here and would make sense given the time difference.

The only people calling at that time of night are family calling about patients, so this would've been a pretty normal occurance for the nurse on ward reception. I'm surprised that they weren't given any instructions by the royal security team on how to handle calls, but really the buck stops with the hospital for not putting anything in place.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Why doe sthe buck have to stop with anyone. It's an unfortunate series of events. It's endemic of these times that the media in all forms has to cry "Someone is to blame, someone MUST PAY!!!!". No, it's tragic, it's unfunny.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why doe sthe buck have to stop with anyone. It's an unfortunate series of events. It's endemic of these times that the media in all forms has to cry "Someone is to blame, someone MUST PAY!!!!". No, it's tragic, it's unfunny.

Not sure how you've extracted that from my post. The buck stops with the hospital for not giving clear instructions on how to handle calls when a high profile patient is in the ward, that is what we were discussing, I didn't mean it in terms of the whole sorry episode.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Firstly, I, like you, don't blame the DJs for her death. I blame the hospital. Having said that, you do yourself a dis-service with comments like that. This is a nurse, not a receptionist, and she hears voice that she believes is that of the Queen and you think she is going to engage is some security protocol to establish which 'Kate' the Queen may be referring to! Get real.

Getting real would be understanding you have a high profile patient under your care. Assuming should not come into play when dealing with any contact trying to be made regarding her.

What if the people making the call wanted to find out where she was in the hospital and pulled such a stunt so to locate her in order to harm her or cause some misadventure.

The complete lack of privacy protocols in place to protect her was woeful.

I work in a sales role, take upward of 50 calls a day. If anyone asks for any other staff members we are required to ask for who they want (full name) who they are and why they are calling.

If a simple procedure like that can be put in place in a normal business you'd think a exclusive hospital would have and even stricter set of procedures in place to protect their patients.

You don't need to be a receptionist to ask a few questions of the caller.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

did he really say that? clearly not read or understood (or believed) any of the story, just applied his prejudices. gone from bit mad eccentric, to grade A canute, very horrible and very arrogant himself.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Getting real would be understanding you have a high profile patient under your care. Assuming should not come into play when dealing with any contact trying to be made regarding her.

What if the people making the call wanted to find out where she was in the hospital and pulled such a stunt so to locate her in order to harm her or cause some misadventure.

The complete lack of privacy protocols in place to protect her was woeful.

I work in a sales role, take upward of 50 calls a day. If anyone asks for any other staff members we are required to ask for who they want (full name) who they are and why they are calling.

If a simple procedure like that can be put in place in a normal business you'd think a exclusive hospital would have and even stricter set of procedures in place to protect their patients.

You don't need to be a receptionist to ask a few questions of the caller.

You're either being deliberately obtuse or you are not as intelligent as you might think you are! You're in a sales job and on the phone regularly so it's perfectly normal to you. To a nurse, caring for a patient is her primary role and I doubt her job description inlcudes much reference as to how to deal with telephone calls. As a nurse she will know about patient confidentiality but she didn't breach any confidentiality, the other nurse did. The lack of necessary protocols is not the nurses fault but that of the hospital who seem to be adequately side stepping the blame.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Jacintha Saldanha suicide note criticised hospital staff | World news | The Guardian

Inquest hears that nurse who died after Duchess of Cambridge hoax call left three letters before apparently taking her own life​
One note deals with the hoax call by the DJs from 2Day FM, another details her requests for her funeral, and the third addresses her employers, the hospital, and contains criticism of staff there, the Guardian understands from two separate sources.​

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Jacintha Saldanha suicide note criticised hospital staff | World news | The Guardian

Inquest hears that nurse who died after Duchess of Cambridge hoax call left three letters before apparently taking her own life​
One note deals with the hoax call by the DJs from 2Day FM, another details her requests for her funeral, and the third addresses her employers, the hospital, and contains criticism of staff there, the Guardian understands from two separate sources.​

Crikey. i've always thought it best not to critisise others in a suicide note. Looks rather undignified I think.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wouldn't it be great if Morrissey died.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Crikey. i've always thought it best not to critisise others in a suicide note. Looks rather undignified I think.

i'm not sure there is a proper etiquette to penning a suicide note, but i'm damn certain someone doing so is in no mental state to worry about it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You're either being deliberately obtuse or you are not as intelligent as you might think you are! You're in a sales job and on the phone regularly so it's perfectly normal to you.

It's perfectly normal for anyone picking up the phone. Someone rings your home and asks for someone. If you don't know them don't you ask who it is and what do they want?

You just seem to be making excuses for the complete amateurish way the nurses responded to the call. Especially a hospital that's so exclusive.

To a nurse, caring for a patient is her primary role and I doubt her job description inlcudes much reference as to how to deal with telephone calls.

Common sense can't play a role?

As a nurse she will know about patient confidentiality but she didn't breach any confidentiality, the other nurse did. The lack of necessary protocols is not the nurses fault but that of the hospital who seem to be adequately side stepping the blame.

Correct, which is why this nurse taking her life over patching through a call is the biggest beat up of a story going around.

The story is really only about the second nurse who actually took the call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here