Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough - Not All Liverpool Players Seem To Care

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What an idiot. The guy he's nudging is looking at him like he's completely mad. And if you watch carefully just before the camera cuts away, the guy on the other side seems to be shaking his head, possibly after making eye contact with the big bloke behind who's looking seriously unamused.

How brainless do you have to be to not behave yourself for an hour, regardless of whether you care about the Hillsborough tragedy?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I know I'm in a minority, but I'm fed up with the Hillsborough mythology. Yes it was tragic, but ffs why do we have to all be dragged in to this Dianaish melodrama. Enough already.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I know I'm in a minority, but I'm fed up with the Hillsborough mythology. Yes it was tragic, but ffs why do we have to all be dragged in to this Dianaish melodrama. Enough already.

Hardly a Dianaish melodrama though is it? Someone acting disrespectfully at a memorial service for 96 ordinary men, women and children who died at a foot ball match can't be compared to the OTT outpourings of grief for one woman who died in a car crash?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth

You are not alone (but accept we are in the minority). Its all getting a bit Jade Goody for me. Bradford fire disaster was just as sad but does not get even a 1/10th of the press coverage of Hillsbrough.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Hardly a Dianaish melodrama though is it? Someone acting disrespectfully at a memorial service for 96 ordinary men, women and children who died at a foot ball match can't be compared to the OTT outpourings of grief for one woman who died in a car crash?

Well it was 20 years ago, and it's not like we haven't had countless memorials to it since is it?

As it happens in the context it was a crass thing to do. However why are we still being asked to this event on such a scale?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You are not alone (but accept we are in the minority). Its all getting a bit Jade Goody for me. Bradford fire disaster was just as sad but does not get even a 1/10th of the press coverage of Hillsbrough.

I agree with that to a certain extent. If the disaster had happened at lowly BHAFC and 96 died the coverage would be massively less. Its because it happened at a big club.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
WTF?! Hillsbrough is a HUMAN tragedy, not a football one or a personal one, 96 people died that day, have some respect. You people probably thought the coverage of 9/11 was a bit over the top aswell! Christ, some people are so insensitive to events that actually do matter in context. The Goody saga was appalling and the coverage it received was an embarrasment to the country, but Hillsbrough is a real tragedy and deserves all the emotional coverage it receives, every year. This was the 20th anniversary so obviously it was getting more press than usual, but it's a worthy event for the coverage.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
WTF?! Hillsbrough is a HUMAN tragedy, not a football one or a personal one, 96 people died that day, have some respect. You people probably thought the coverage of 9/11 was a bit over the top aswell! Christ, some people are so insensitive to events that actually do matter in context. The Goody saga was appalling and the coverage it received was an embarrasment to the country, but Hillsbrough is a real tragedy and deserves all the emotional coverage it receives, every year. This was the 20th anniversary so obviously it was getting more press than usual, but it's a worthy event for the coverage.

I'm not saying it wasn't sad or a human tradegy. Just that its a bit OTT 20 years later. Your post sort of proves my point.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I agree with that to a certain extent. If the disaster had happened at lowly BHAFC and 96 died the coverage would be massively less. Its because it happened at a big club.

...and to a certain extent I agree with this, most people have forgotten what happened at Bradford just a few years earlier...however, I am guessing that the people in that city mark the anniversary in an appropriate manner, as I am sure we would if something similar had happened to our fans...maybe it is because Liverpool is a big club that there is more interest, maybe not, I don't really know...I am leaving home in about half an hour to go to the footy, hopefully I will be back again for my tea afterwards...I have absolutely no problem with people wanting to mark the anniversary of the death of so many other people just like me who didn't go home after their game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The one thing I will say in Itandje's defence is that the gravity of the offence seems to grow with every report. This from the Guardian:

"Filmed footage which appeared on the internet showed the 26-year-old laughing and joking at the service on Wednesday to remember the 96 people who died on April 15, 1989".

Hmm. Didn't see laughing and joking. An immature bit of messing about maybe, and then possibly slight embarrassment when he realised his mate wouldn't play ball.

On a less serious subject, it's a bit like when Pardew said 'rape' on Match of the Day. Virtually every reports said that Adrian Chiles and the other guest looked shocked, squirmed in their seats, blah blah. But Pardew was talking over footage of the tackle, so actually nobody saw what they did. And by the time the footage had ended, they just ignored his comment completely. Somehow, the exaggerated version becomes accepted as fact.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not saying it wasn't sad or a human tradegy. Just that its a bit OTT 20 years later. Your post sort of proves my point.

What a load of rubbish, OTT?! It'll still be spoken about in 50 years time, and so it should as far as I'm concerned. It puts football into some kind of perspective for me, it's just a game. The effect of Hillsborough was long lasting though of course, so many rules were changed as a result of it.

I agree that the Bradford fire should get more coverage though.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Well it was 20 years ago, and it's not like we haven't had countless memorials to it since is it?

As it happens in the context it was a crass thing to do. However why are we still being asked to this event on such a scale?

Because it was a totally preventable tragedy who's effects we still feel today every time we go to a football game. It changed the way the game is watched and how supporters are treated forever. For that reason it still has massive resonance outside of those immediately affected by the deaths of loved ones. That's why it should never be forgotten.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Btw I wasn't saying that the coverage of Hillsborough is ott, just the reaction to Itanje. Everyone makes mistakes.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Btw I wasn't saying that the coverage of Hillsborough is ott, just the reaction to Itanje. Everyone makes mistakes.

Yes they do but why do people make excuses for something he had complete control over. He didn't have to act in that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was he even alive when Hillsborough happened? He probably just doesn't know how people really feel. I'm sure he now realises how inappropriate his behaviour was and unfortunately the fans will probably turn on him for ever. Imo nothing should be made of it, I'm sure he didn't mean it.

Agree. Also, was he behaving like this throughout the whole of the service or is this a case of the the cameras being trained on them and this was the only thing they found. Inappropriate, no doubt about it, but not a public flogging event. Still, it is Liverpool! Don't see many scousers getting the same treatment when they quite happily remind Manure of Munich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here