Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough - BBC2

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Was anyone here at the fa cup game at Peterborough in 85/86? It's the only time at a football match where I genuinely felt that there was a risk of injury or worse to myself and those around me. It was seriously overcrowded behind that goal and when we scored, my feet didn't touch the ground for about a minute

Very much this. The one and only time I have genuinely feared for my life. Absolutely disgraceful profiteering to allow Peterbrough to put 6,000 of us in there. That terrace hadn't changed much by the time it was knocked down a few years ago when it's official capacity was 1,760 FFS.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The video shot where bodies are crushed against the fence and completely mangled in each other like they were cemented in concrete. I have never seen that before. .

I thought I "knew" Hillsborough and had seen the footage of it.

And then I saw that exact scene last night. I didn't sleep well.

As you say, horrific.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Feeling shocked this morning after watching documentary. I have lived in Liverpool since Sept 88 and went to plenty matches around that time, North Stand from mid eighties, Kop from 88. I also remember standing on the Kop in 79 with my dad, sister and brother, I think I was 11 at the time. The thought of families, brothers, sisters being caught up in Hillsborough is just so upsetting. I think it was the testimony of family members who have had to fight all this time for the truth / justice that has moved me the most. Just very, very sad. These brave families deserve nothing but the utmost respect. YNWA.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Remember when the Sun (pretty sure it was The Sun, was certainly one of the tabloids) published those close-up photographs of the victims being crushed up against the fencing, their agony visible in excruciating detail for every reader to see? Must have been in the days immediately after the disaster.

To illustrate that it wasn't just The Sun that ran stories and images that , in hindsight, are now shocking and misleading then I think this was in fact the Mirror...
The "wrap around" front cover is easily found online.

"I recall the late and much-respected editor of the Daily Mirror, Richard Stott, coming on BBC Radio Merseyside to defend his paper’s front-page coverage of the tragedy when the crushed faces of fans against the railings were featured in graphic horror.
When asked what he would feel if his children’s faces had been featured in such a way he gave what our listeners deemed to be a feeble explanation.
via http://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2016...-by-former-bbc-radio-merseyside-head-mick-ord

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The police should never be allowed to investigate itself again-they simply cannot be trusted.

You often hear police officers talk about "police family" (one of them did last night) and it's understandable that they feel solidarity with each other, regardless of which force or even country; it's a pretty unique and challenging job and one which most of us, from the outside, can never understand fully.
However, this solidarity and fraternity can, if complaints are made, be perceived as "closing ranks" and can lead to justice not being seen to be done.
For that reason, there needs to be an independent investigating body that can be called in if necessary comprising people who have never been in the police (the problem being finding people with the requisite skills).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Wasn't that the free red scarf on the football special train day? Snow. Should never have been played. Ball hit a mound of ice and bounced over Digweed? We got a replay?

They gave out the free red scarfs with the tickets, I think. I complained because I never got one (anyone still got one they want to get rid of?!)

I just remember the pitch covered in snow and the orange ball. Dale Jasper was our hero that day.

Can't remember the crush, but a lot of games back in the 70s and 80s were like that - Southampton away (at the poxy Dell), opening game of the 77/78 season, springs to mind.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I was at Elland Road that fateful day watching Brighton lose to Leeds (1-0 i think) i went with my Dad who was listening to the events unfold on his portable radio, I am sure that within the ground it was reported as deaths as a result of fighting. The Liverpool coaches with empty spaces that we saw on the motorway on the way home will haunt me forever.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To illustrate that it wasn't just The Sun that ran stories and images that , in hindsight, are now shocking and misleading then I think this was in fact the Mirror...
The "wrap around" front cover is easily found online.

"I recall the late and much-respected editor of the Daily Mirror, Richard Stott, coming on BBC Radio Merseyside to defend his paper’s front-page coverage of the tragedy when the crushed faces of fans against the railings were featured in graphic horror.
When asked what he would feel if his children’s faces had been featured in such a way he gave what our listeners deemed to be a feeble explanation.
via http://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2016...-by-former-bbc-radio-merseyside-head-mick-ord

Yes, it was indeed the Mirror, I noticed that earlier today.

I'd be surprised if a media outlet featured such graphic shots of tragedy nowadays.

Though the Mail and Kay Burley on SkyNews seemed to be pretty ghoulish after that flight with all the Dutch people was shot down over Ukraine a couple of years back, so perhaps things haven't changed all that much.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The Peterborough game crush was exacerbated as the old open side terrace (the glebe) was closed and those who had tickets for it ( it was segregated) were put in the end terraces

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLnkc0rlH3w

Just after Hilsborough, Leeds fans at Boro. We have been close to a disaster a few times around the dame period and early 90's.

Good god! Crushed to death or impaled on those spikes. What a choice!

Amazing to remember the grounds that used have those spiked fences.

Didn't the old East stand at the Goldstone get fitted with those flywheel looking spikes in a section during the late 80's ?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
That old "We must learn from our mistakes " cliche ,when mistakes are made,was totally overlooked as a previous semi final had a crowd problem with overfilling the pens.........!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Wasn't that the free red scarf on the football special train day? Snow. Should never have been played. Ball hit a mound of ice and bounced over Digweed? We got a replay?

I was there but don't remember any crushing in the crowd though. Just bloody horrible journey to and from.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Liverpool fans and Everton too for that matter were never angels and hardly the most popular supporters amongst other teams fans in the 80's so when the lies started that is why they were easy to believe for some and still till this day some still believe they were pissed up and trying to jib in without tickets.

That could have been anyone of us who went regularly to football in the late 70's and during the 80's, treated like shit by the police and anyone involved in policing it, shoved into pens and treated like cattle and it was just by luck that similar disasters didn't happen. Many a time the North Stand behind the goal was rammed solid and you could surge from top to bottom at times such as the Norwich quarter final but nobody learnt or cared enough to learn and in the end the disaster did happen.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I remember a crush getting out of Fratton Park in 1991. It was an evening game and we lost 1-0, after the game instead of letting us back out the gates we came in, they opened 2 gates that were no bigger than a normal doorway for about 1500-2000 fans to get through. I was lifted off my feet and crushed against a bar. My mate made a tiny bit of space and I managed to get out. Crazy.
Yep I remember that.....very scary. Had crushes before but that was unbelievable.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was so glad the reason the inexperienced Duckenfield was put in place was finally exposed to a wider audience at the start of the documentary.

I've read extensively about the tragedy over the years.

What particularly odd about this one is "the truth" wasn't on a blog or part of some conspiracy theory. It was all part of public record. The above was widely reported.

It took another public inquiry just to re-iterate in part what was already systematically recorded as part of other "public" inquiries.

In a sense much of the truth was already known. But still you read the urban myths and (sadly) much of it on here over the years.

The only parallel I can think of was the Falklands War. My own view sits in the "self determination" argument, but still bollocks are spewed about what happened leading up to that, irrespective of what was uncovered by the official investigation.

Even those you agree with **** up.

Don't let your politics (or club allegiance) get in the way of the truth. There is only the truth.

Last edited:

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Very much this. The one and only time I have genuinely feared for my life. Absolutely disgraceful profiteering to allow Peterbrough to put 6,000 of us in there. That terrace hadn't changed much by the time it was knocked down a few years ago when it's official capacity was 1,760 FFS.

Same here, i could feel the pressure of those around me literally bending my rib cage, not a nice feeling, I couldn't breathe and nothing I could do about it. I seriously wanted to get out of there.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Was you directly behind the goal? I don't know what the sides were like but it was horrible in the middle
Not directly behind sort of in line with penalty area.

I remember going to see U2 at Milton Keynes bowl in 1985 about a month after the Heysel disaster. We worked our way towards the front but as soon as they came on I was lifted off my feet and had no control of where I went. As soon as it calmed down I went back about 50metres where it was a bit less frantic. I must admit I was really scared that time.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
The most telling part for me is the Taylor report 3 months after, that showed the main reason for the crush was allowing gate c to be opened because of the crush at the turnstiles but without a second thought as to where all those thousands of fans were going to go, and with the middle section entrance not being blocked off by police as they had previously done so as to shepherd all of them to the relatively empty side pens. The Taylor report exonerated the fans and laid the main blame with duckenfield and his assistants. What is the most shocking of it all is that is was largely ignored and the lies continued to be perpetuated and repeated for over 20 yrs without any justice or closure. A national disgrace.

I've actually read the whole report over the last 24 hrs and it is a brilliantly constructed report that taylor I hope was proud of and it makes sickening reading!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here