Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough - BBC2

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember at the Recreation Ground in Aldershot in 1967 (Aldershot 0 Brighton 0 - my first Albion match) being able to lift both feet of the ground for long periods of time without falling over while getting out of the ground.
Also remember the (real) Kop at Anfield - could be swept up and down anything up to twenty rows at a time. The secret was to stand just in FRONT of a crash barrier (and watch out for a rolled up copy of the Footy Pink coming through from two rows back).

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Two of your mates gave a turnstile operator a fiver ? Which end ?

It might of been a tenner. Don't know the which turnstile they went through but as you look at leppings lane end from the kop end they were right hand side of it like where the away fans used to be at the goldstone.

I was asked to go with them and i planeed to but had a massive row with then girlfriend on the Friday night. So stayed behind on the Saturday to make it up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My cousin and friend were in the Forest end that day.

I was at Villa Park watching the Everton v Norwich semi-final with my girlfriend who is now my wife, we live around two miles away

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Just left staggered that this happened in our country in the last 30 years. The pens were a disaster waiting to happen and in hindsight seem one of the most dangerous things ever implemented in stadiums in the name of safety. But the cover up just takes your breath away. Can't imagine what the families have been through.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Very moving

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I remember a crush getting out of Fratton Park in 1991. It was an evening game and we lost 1-0, after the game instead of letting us back out the gates we came in, they opened 2 gates that were no bigger than a normal doorway for about 1500-2000 fans to get through. I was lifted off my feet and crushed against a bar. My mate made a tiny bit of space and I managed to get out. Crazy.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This is in no way excusing the senior Officers of the day, but, the whole football supporting experience was different then. It was an open war between some, and I stress some supporters, and the Old bill. When I first went in the North Stand as a 12 year old, one of the popular songs of the time was Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills Coppers, and, to my shame now, I joined in the singing, I didn't even know who Harry Roberts was ,or how he had achieved such notoriety.
Another song was Kill the Bill, again sung with great gusto. Duckenfield was obviously inexperienced, but had heard songs like these and, no doubt, heard of incidence of violence ,and unfortunately couldn't see past that, as a lot of coppers couldn't, in those days

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I remember a crush getting out of Fratton Park in 1991. It was an evening game and we lost 1-0, after the game instead of letting us back out the gates we came in, they opened 2 gates that were no bigger than a normal doorway for about 1500-2000 fans to get through. I was lifted off my feet and crushed against a bar. My mate made a tiny bit of space and I managed to get out. Crazy.

Iwas at that game with my 12 year old nephew, it was so bad, I put a complaint into Hampshire Constabulary, but, after making a statement, didn't hear anything more. I think my sister got a letter of apology, which, more or less blamed rowdy fans.
Sounds familiar

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
. But the cover up just takes your breath away. Can't imagine what the families have been through.

Exactly. The South Yorkshire police force should be investigated, not just for the cover up and lies from 1989 and the 96, but for the lies in the miners strike in 84.... oh and recently the cover up and lies involving Rotherham etc.

It should also be noted that Liverpool at the time had 45000 fans going to Anfield whilst Forest had 22000...... The main end (Wednesday's :lolol:Kop end) held 25000 and the Leppings end held 16000...... so which end would you give the biggest supported team.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would also like the Government to ban all Police Officers from the Freemasons.
An open invite to corruption ,if ever there was one

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Iwas at that game with my 12 year old nephew, it was so bad, I put a complaint into Hampshire Constabulary, but, after making a statement, didn't hear anything more. I think my sister got a letter of apology, which, more or less blamed rowdy fans.
Sounds familiar

Leaving aside for one moment the mistakes, lies, conspiracy and incompetence. The physical thing that did the killing was the fences and locked gates. That experience was awful at Fratton Park but it must have been timed by 10 for pressure at Hillsborough in 1989. I can't imagine how terrifying and heartbreaking it must have been. But if you flood any 'Pen' with fans, seats or terracing and you have fences with locked gates, you risk crushing them. Yet Booze, Fans and Terracing were blamed, none of those had anything to do with it.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. The South Yorkshire police force should be investigated, not just for the cover up and lies from 1989 and the 96, but for the lies in the miners strike in 84.... oh and recently the cover up and lies involving Rotherham etc.

It should also be noted that Liverpool at the time had 45000 fans going to Anfield whilst Forest had 22000...... The main end (Wednesday's :lolol:Kop end) held 25000 and the Leppings end held 16000...... so which end would you give the biggest supported team.

im not 100% on this but the year before liverpool were given the kop end against the same team i think.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The video shot where bodies are crushed against the fence and completely mangled in each other like they were cemented in concrete. I have never seen that before. Its something i don't wish to look at again

Remember when the Sun (pretty sure it was The Sun, was certainly one of the tabloids) published those close-up photographs of the victims being crushed up against the fencing, their agony visible in excruciating detail for every reader to see? Must have been in the days immediately after the disaster.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Remember when the Sun (pretty sure it was The Sun, was certainly one of the tabloids) published those close-up photographs of the victims being crushed up against the fencing, their agony visible in excruciating detail for every reader to see? Must have been in the days immediately after the disaster.

It was the Sun, Edna, and there wss a fair few jokes of a particularly sick kind of humour, knocking about just after it

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Was anyone here at the fa cup game at Peterborough in 85/86? It's the only time at a football match where I genuinely felt that there was a risk of injury or worse to myself and those around me. It was seriously overcrowded behind that goal and when we scored, my feet didn't touch the ground for about a minute

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sounds familiar

The only time I've ever felt so physically uncomfortable at a game that I've started to feel a little bit afraid for my own safety was at Fratton Park. Would have been a few years later than that, I think. Horrible old ground, absolute dump, and with very little control over the spread of fans in the away end at the time.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The only time I've ever felt so physically uncomfortable at a game that I've started to feel a little bit afraid for my own safety was at Fratton Park. Would have been a few years later than that, I think. Horrible old ground, absolute dump, and with very little control over the spread of fans in the away end at the time.

And really short barriers, only about three foot high, I never felt they were safe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here