Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hi Viz jackets - EVERYONE is wearing them

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Police, street cleaners, construction workers, garbage collectors, bus drivers, train drivers, cyclists, motor-cyclists, lolly-pop ladies ... the list goes on ...

It won't be long before there is a law requiring pedestrians to wear them!

We've already got to the stage where they don't "stand out from the crowd" any more because they're fecking everywhere.

Time soon for there to be a High Viz High Viz jacket to distinguish the wearer from all those wearing High Viz jackets.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
its become rediculous, where I work, the cleaners have been told to wear them whilst they go about cleaning roilets etc. Its crazy.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
its become rediculous, where I work, the cleaners have been told to wear them whilst they go about cleaning roilets etc. Its crazy.

Are they wearing them when they're cleaning the toilets too? Probably also need hard hats in case the lid falls while they're cleaning the pan.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
At a place near me the staff have been instructed to wear Hi-Viz at all times to reduce the risk of being hit by a fork lift truck. Company policy apparently. Only thing is, this branch does not have a fork lift!

And when the schoolkids are being marched crocodile fashion down the street, is it not easier to spot one child has gone missing (Ie the one at the back in the Rudolph jumper) when they are all wearing different clothing, than when you are one yellow jacket out of thirty missing when you have a count up at the final destination?

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
I believe there's a new law about to be passed, that states people who rob Post Offices should wear high Vis' jackets..

Very sensible!

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
yes, from the moment they start to the moment they finish. f***ing stupid

It won't be long before there is a law requiring pedestrians to wear them!
Since a number of European countries have already introduced a new law that requires car drivers and passengers to have ready access to a hi-viz jacket (INSIDE the car), I reckon it's UK car passengers who are next on the list.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
In the winter I wear a Hi Vis vest when coming home from work due to the commonly accepted practice of local folk riding their bicycles on pavements instead of the road.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
As a cyclist I wear hi-viz after dark, but I also believe that hi-viz is a state of mind. It's just one of the many things I do to make sure I'm seen by other road users (and certainly not top of the list), although I also like to assume I haven't been seen by anyone ever!

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
And when the schoolkids are being marched crocodile fashion down the street, is it not easier to spot one child has gone missing (Ie the one at the back in the Rudolph jumper) when they are all wearing different clothing, than when you are one yellow jacket out of thirty missing when you have a count up at the final destination?

I would counter that, by suggesting that it would be easier to spot a single hi viz jacket wandering off from the pack, than normal clothes

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
Never underestimate the power of a hi-Viz jacket. On a lads weekend trip to Berlin, two of us got given hi viz jackets to wear as a joke (names in a hat and everyone had to buy someone something stupid to wear). We were subsequently dared to see if we could control the traffic on a fairly busy road, while the others looked on.

and so we did and so it worked! For 5 minutes we stopped and started traffic with nobody batting an eyelid....We packed it in when we realised we'd stopped a Police car!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
When they were first worn it was only police. When you saw them you reduced your speed etc.. Now we haven't got a clue who is wearing them when you first see them. Times I have hit break, even when inside limit, when I first see the bloody things.

D

Deleted member 18477

i've got a running jacket with a hi-viz reflective stripe across the back. looks quite stylish on the jacket actually. as long as no car mounts the pavement and hits me then i'll be happy with just the stripe for now! stay safe!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As a Health & Safety Professional can I say that most places where you see people wearing them has DICK to do with Health and Safety and everything to do with Jobsworths thinking 'it would be a good idea'.

I have (& wear) various bits of hi-vis and they only get put on when I'm in a work situation that requires that I wear it.

The same nonsense applies to hard hats - a company I used to work for did asbestos inspection work on Motorway Structures e.g. Bridges. We were compelled to wear Hi-vis (sensible given the hazard was being struck by motor vehicles while walking down the hard shoulder and some of our work was in hours of darkness) and Hard Hats (total nonsense).

When I challenged the Client's H&S Manager as to what protective function Hard Hats would perform if an articulated lorry hit us he couldn't answer. :lolol:

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Mate of mine drives top of the range Volvos to small dealerships - he used to enjoy the job, but since being told recently he had to wear a hi-vis at all times, on top of his suit, says he now feels a bit of a dick, especially at garages and service stations in broad daylight.

To me they just make people look scruffy, especially the appalling orange trousers/yellow top combo i sometimes see.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Health & safety is becoming a joke in general.

I used to work as a data engineer installing computer network cabling and fibre optics, so a lot of site work. We did a big job in Havant a few years ago for a pharmaceutical company. The site was virtually finished, we just had some second fixing and testing to do, but we still had to wear hi viz, hard hat, goggles and gloves, not easy when terminating cat7 modules, I took my hat off as the cold plastic was giving me a headache, a health and safety officer walked round the corner, saw me, and promptly slung me off site of disobeying h&s rules. Fcuking jobsworth. No chance of falling hazards as the building was finished.

Also had to go into the office for a days training which included a COSHH briefing on the safe use of epoxy glue and WD40:rant:

It was then I decided to jack in that job and move on, the amount of h&s rules these days is a joke.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
When I worked on site you were meant to wear them because of the cranes but hardly anyone bothered.
Now I understand they are compulsary (cranes or not) as are eye protectors and gloves. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here