Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hi Viz jackets - EVERYONE is wearing them

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
and alot of what you say is true,until your last sentence. Where i work we have to attend fire lectures and the basic 'rule' is on spotting a fire imform workmates leave the building calmly (dont run it may cause panic) yet you have a look at an emergency sign what do you see a man running. L drivers are not allowed to drive on any motorway,past your test just drive on no tuition needed,yet kids need goggles to play conkers. Travel on a bus seats with seat belt fitted for YOUR SAFETY,also this bus can carry 25 standees !! Its not thought out.

I agree with the bus scenario. I would also ask the last time you heard of a bus/coach driver enforce the wearing of seat belts, where provided?

I think the learner driver verses motorway tuition issue will change under pressure from car insurers. However it be interesting to see how you provide practical training in areas where there isn't a motorway.......which still applies to large parts of the UK? The compromise seems to be a mix of theory test and practical on dual carriageways.

The fire instruction v signage example is interesting. The key thing is that both give instructions to take positive action. Yes it is important to calmly evacuate the building without creating panic or a stampede (think of busy public places, sports stadia, places of entertainment etc) but the 'running man' logo is also a generic icon supposedly recognisable across Europe for giving 'at a glance' emphasis that it is an 'emergency' exit route so to proceed directly to the exit, don't dawdle or stop to send an e-mail or look for your handbag or coat, or go to the loo, which sadly many will do. There is some classic cctv of punters inside burning shops who remain at a checkout trying to pay for their shopping yet there is a fire rapidly spreading behind them and the smoke quickly obscures their exit route, yet some fail to get out. I can live with the slight conflict in advice as the underlying message is the same: 'get out'.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Maybe things will/might change. Yet why is it you can be sacked for not wearing Hi-viz etc on the spot warnings are clearly posted,but allowing a 'new driver' i/e 17yo could take a few years ? IT IS NOT THOUGHT OUT.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Police, street cleaners, construction workers, garbage collectors, bus drivers, train drivers, cyclists, motor-cyclists, lolly-pop ladies ... the list goes on ...

It won't be long before there is a law requiring pedestrians to wear them!

We've already got to the stage where they don't "stand out from the crowd" any more because they're fecking everywhere.

Time soon for there to be a High Viz High Viz jacket to distinguish the wearer from all those wearing High Viz jackets.

It's already happened on building sites. Orange ones are usually for banksman. Site agent once had a go at me because I was taking my jumper off , which meant I had to remove hi-viz temporarily. Told me to put it on , I said how could you see me then. Trust me I'm all for H&S but it's all for the companies and real issues are ignored.

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Maybe things will/might change. Yet why is it you can be sacked for not wearing Hi-viz etc on the spot warnings are clearly posted,but allowing a 'new driver' i/e 17yo could take a few years ? IT IS NOT THOUGHT OUT.

At the end of the day it may be a reasonable if not essential thing to require wearing of hi-vis especially in some high hazard work environments so the employer has to apply sanctions if staff don't comply. The employer will (rightly) get hammered if he/she fails to maintain all reasonable controls in their workplace and in return employees have a duty to comply. 'Comply or Goodbye'.

However the young driver thing is not strictly to do with H&S law which is largely about workplaces and employment - more to do with road traffic laws applicable to all road users. I agree that maybe over time this will get addressed if the practical issues can be overcome but the driver (pun) will probably come from road safety groups, insurers, Police etc. If H&S were allowed to address I guess it would be on an incremental basis after a certain amount of driving experience then gradual and controlled exposure to motorways following suitable training. In my experience too many young drivers over-estimate their driving skill even in very basic situations so being allowed to use motorways without an assessment is asking for trouble.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Dick F**K CYCLISTS DONT-USELESS TWATS(but hey that's another thread)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
so Brighton have a cloakroom for 30,000 jackets/coats of any description ?

Admission refused, or ejected if you refuse to remove said garment I guess.

Just something mentioned in conversation, I have no proof to offer.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
At the end of the day it may be a reasonable if not essential thing to require wearing of hi-vis especially in some high hazard work environments so the employer has to apply sanctions if staff don't comply. The employer will (rightly) get hammered if he/she fails to maintain all reasonable controls in their workplace and in return employees have a duty to comply. 'Comply or Goodbye'.

However the young driver thing is not strictly to do with H&S law which is largely about workplaces and employment - more to do with road traffic laws applicable to all road users. I agree that maybe over time this will get addressed if the practical issues can be overcome but the driver (pun) will probably come from road safety groups, insurers, Police etc. If H&S were allowed to address I guess it would be on an incremental basis after a certain amount of driving experience then gradual and controlled exposure to motorways following suitable training. In my experience too many young drivers over-estimate their driving skill even in very basic situations so being allowed to use motorways without an assessment is asking for trouble.

Ah,right can drive after passing his test at 17, yet at the college he goes to he wants to play conkers he has to wear goggles.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He wore, he wore, he wore a Yellow jacket,
he wore a yellow jacket 'cos the orange wouldn't fit,
And when I asked, him why he wore the jacket
he said it's 'cos I'm a steward and my head is full of shit

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This seems as good a place as anywhere to post this.

When out on my early morning rural ride out this morning - sun is low in sky - I came across a fella out hedge cutting. No pavements. He was top to toe in green camouflage. As a kid I got knocked of my bike because low sun dazzled someone, so maybe I am a little more aware, but 'asking for it' doesn't seem to cover it. How manly in his army gear will he feel if he gets wiped out by a 4x4?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

When out on my early morning rural ride out this morning - sun is low in sky - I came across a fella out hedge cutting. No pavements. He was top to toe in green camouflage. As a kid I got knocked of my bike because low sun dazzled someone, so maybe I am a little more aware, but 'asking for it' doesn't seem to cover it. How manly in his army gear will he feel if he gets wiped out by a 4x4?

I have seen this type of thing before especially in rural areas,people drive stupidly-oh but i know the road they claim-well that's as maybe but most accidents happen within 3 miles of a persons home due to complacency-

Why should a guy not be able to cut his hedge in camo gear?

Equally i may add most people of the cammo type mentality become yet another statistic-especially cyclists..

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Not surprised. Some punters have a lack of common sense or worse still know what they should do, but can't be asked. Maybe it will be his luck to meet a road user who has a similar attitude and they wipe each other out.

Have you noticed the number of drivers who haven't switched into Autumn/Winter driving mode yet - driving around in fog/reduced visibility on wet greasy roads at ridiculous speeds, tailgating and without lights on? Really pisses me off that they have no common sense. Some other poor innocent punter will cop it because they don't think or care.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Not surprised. Some punters have a lack of common sense or worse still know what they should do, but can't be asked. Maybe it will be his luck to meet a road user who has a similar attitude and they wipe each other out.

Have you noticed the number of drivers who haven't switched into Autumn/Winter driving mode yet - driving around in fog/reduced visibility on wet greasy roads at ridiculous speeds, tailgating and without lights on? Really pisses me off that they have no common sense. Some other poor innocent punter will cop it because they don't think or care.

Driving point is a good one,Leek is pretty high up and where i work over 1200 feet and you often get low cloud,bit like the downs really. So many cars are now silver,grey,off white/cream and yet time and time again just SIDELIGHTS on,whats the point ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This guys not wearing a Hi viz jacket!

Snarkey5

Banned
Feb 8, 2011
yeah can definitely see why everyone is wearing one

Attachments

• viz.png
    viz.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 25

DanielT

When they were first worn it was only police. When you saw them you reduced your speed etc.. Now we haven't got a clue who is wearing them when you first see them. Times I have hit break, even when inside limit, when I first see the bloody things.

I read an editorial in a biker mag recently against the effectiveness of hi-viz as they are so commonplace. In town, during the day, I can sort of agree but at night it's essential for anyone who's vulnerable: bikers, cyclists, joggers, children.

But the quote above goes to prove that people do notice them. Whether or not you assume they're police, you see the person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here