Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hi Viz jackets - EVERYONE is wearing them

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
Health & safety is becoming a joke in general.

I used to work as a data engineer installing computer network cabling and fibre optics, so a lot of site work. We did a big job in Havant a few years ago for a pharmaceutical company. The site was virtually finished, we just had some second fixing and testing to do, but we still had to wear hi viz, hard hat, goggles and gloves, not easy when terminating cat7 modules, I took my hat off as the cold plastic was giving me a headache, a health and safety officer walked round the corner, saw me, and promptly slung me off site of disobeying h&s rules. Fcuking jobsworth. No chance of falling hazards as the building was finished.

Also had to go into the office for a days training which included a COSHH briefing on the safe use of epoxy glue and WD40:rant:

It was then I decided to jack in that job and move on, the amount of h&s rules these days is a joke.

Health & safety is becoming a joke in general.

Yep.....We are being stripped from having a sense of humour by the PC brigade and having our common sense taken away by the Health and Safety Police! May as well just all be robots!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oxymoron??

No, it is a Profession and there is a Chartered Institution (IOSH) that people with suitable qualifications (like myself) can join.

As I have previously posted it is unqualified Jobsworths that make my work difficult, I spend a large part of my time telling Clients they DO NOT have to do the unnecessary things that they are currently doing.

Since a number of European countries have already introduced a new law that requires car drivers and passengers to have ready access to a hi-viz jacket (INSIDE the car), I reckon it's UK car passengers who are next on the list.

In fairness, that is one that does actually make sense. My personal favourite was an elderly assistant in Woolworths a few years back actually wearing one behind the till!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The other one that always raises a smile is people wearing hard huts in an empty field - the only thing that could hit them on the head is a hailstone!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Are they wearing them when they're cleaning the toilets too? Probably also need hard hats in case the lid falls while they're cleaning the pan.

And googles to guard against splashback !

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I remember when they brought out the CSCS card. It was mandatory for anyone entering a building site – not sure if it still is as I’m no longer in the UK. I’m sure it was introduced for the right reasons but it just seemed like another cottage industry for Health and Safety at 20 quid a pop.

When I worked for BAA they insisted all their site workers wore sunscreen during the summer – they also tried getting the traditional builder’s bacon butty replaced with salads and nut cutlets – that went down really well with the average scaffolder and brickkie.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The problem isn't with Health and Safety - it is the litigious world we are now in that has meant common sense isn't good enough, you now have to show that you have taken all reasonable precautions or you leave yourself open to the ambulance chasing 'no win, no fee' claims culture that didn't exist 10 years ago. We seem to have imported that from the US and overnight created a growth industry for scare mongering lawyers. No wonder employers have to take a zero tolerance approach otherwise their insurance premiums rocket.

I seem to recall that David Cameron wanted to loosen the red tape on business including for health and safety - but he really needs to tackle the claims culture first. A reasonable employer who does what is required to comply with the law should be sufficient without fear that he will get hammered everytime someone fractures a fingernail.

H&S has been made into a convenient scapegoat by the media especially when common sense isn't allowed to be used - here's a topical example: schoolkids being banned from playing conkers. Unfortunately there are parents out there who will sue the school just because little Tarquin or Jemima gets a bruised thumb, rather than see it as a life lesson. Complete nonsense. H&S should apply to higher risk activities such as sea kayaking which obviously needs competent supervision etc.

Historically H&S regs have only been introduced because there is a history of tragedies and society has finally called enough. When you go to work or (and your family) are quite right to expect that you will return home again later safe and well. Yet you only have to thumb through the monthly IOSH journal to see the frequency of horrendous workplace accidents to see just how frequently an employer and/or employee have failed to do their duty with tragic consequences. So there is a place for H&S - it just gets a bad rap, mainly because the media quietly overlook the real serious stuff when taking the piss out of H&S.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The problem isn't with Health and Safety - it is the litigious world we are now in that has meant common sense isn't good enough, you now have to show that you have taken all reasonable precautions or you leave yourself open to the ambulance chasing 'no win, no fee' claims culture that didn't exist 10 years ago. We seem to have imported that from the US and overnight created a growth industry for scare mongering lawyers. No wonder employers have to take a zero tolerance approach otherwise their insurance premiums rocket.

I seem to recall that David Cameron wanted to loosen the red tape on business including for health and safety - but he really needs to tackle the claims culture first. A reasonable employer who does what is required to comply with the law should be sufficient without fear that he will get hammered everytime someone fractures a fingernail.

H&S has been made into a convenient scapegoat by the media especially when common sense isn't allowed to be used - here's a topical example: schoolkids being banned from playing conkers. Unfortunately there are parents out there who will sue the school just because little Tarquin or Jemima gets a bruised thumb, rather than see it as a life lesson. Complete nonsense. H&S should apply to higher risk activities such as sea kayaking which obviously needs competent supervision etc.

Historically H&S regs have only been introduced because there is a history of tragedies and society has finally called enough. When you go to work or (and your family) are quite right to expect that you will return home again later safe and well. Yet you only have to thumb through the monthly IOSH journal to see the frequency of horrendous workplace accidents to see just how frequently an employer and/or employee have failed to do their duty with tragic consequences. So there is a place for H&S - it just gets a bad rap, mainly because the media quietly overlook the real serious stuff when taking the piss out of H&S.

and alot of what you say is true,until your last sentence. Where i work we have to attend fire lectures and the basic 'rule' is on spotting a fire imform workmates leave the building calmly (dont run it may cause panic) yet you have a look at an emergency sign what do you see a man running. L drivers are not allowed to drive on any motorway,past your test just drive on no tuition needed,yet kids need goggles to play conkers. Travel on a bus seats with seat belt fitted for YOUR SAFETY,also this bus can carry 25 standees !! Its not thought out.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
One of my customers makes me wear a hi-viz with "CONTRACTOR" on it when on site, apparently for safety reasons.

I work in IT...

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Since a number of European countries have already introduced a new law that requires car drivers and passengers to have ready access to a hi-viz jacket (INSIDE the car), I reckon it's UK car passengers who are next on the list.

En Espagne that's the case. They have to be visible from outside car. Actually I think it's quite sensibl.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
and alot of what you say is true,until your last sentence. Where i work we have to attend fire lectures and the basic 'rule' is on spotting a fire imform workmates leave the building calmly (dont run it may cause panic) yet you have a look at an emergency sign what do you see a man running. L drivers are not allowed to drive on any motorway,past your test just drive on no tuition needed,yet kids need goggles to play conkers. Travel on a bus seats with seat belt fitted for YOUR SAFETY,also this bus can carry 25 standees !! Its not thought out.

Where do I start - you are mixing workplace safety with road safety and school safety.

OK Let me take the easiest one.

Kids need googles to play conkers - Absolute Bollocks - A (rather pathetic) Headteacher came out with this a few years back, for NO good reason - I suspect he/she wanted a slightly disruptive playground activity terminated and as usual used H&S as a convenient scapegoat. No competent H&S Advisor would have done anything more than laugh at this approach to a non-existent 'problem'

The School was quite rightly ridiculed as there was no legal requirement for this, it was not risk assessment based and was clearly ridiculous.

FYI the annual UK Conker Championships are now supported by IOSH, who enter a Team (don't who wear Goggles) just to show this rubbish up for what it is.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Thats my point. It would be chaos and what could they do ? It could be a wet day and you are wearing your workcoat ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The stewards would panic, they wouldn't stand out. Would be harilious.

I did hear that Football League rules, or individual club ground rules, prohibit the wearing (en masse) of fluro yellow. Not sure if this is true but it would not surprise me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here