[Offers] Her Majesty The Queens Platinum Jubilee - Official Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can you also let me know how many Scottish people are in that photo, based on the back of their heads.

Div.

You are not understanding what I'm saying.

Div 4

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spent 4 years living in Asia in my 30s and 11 months in Oz. Never wanted to leave either but Mrs GB wanted to have our kids here, so fair enough. My dad's retired to France. Hasn't set foot in the UK for 14 years and doesn't want to :shrug:

Arguably a mistake my leaving Vancouver after 4 years, in part because my (now ex-)missus (Canadian) fancied living in London.

All that said, I love the South East, with the chance to watch The Albion regularly a big part of that.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
That very much depends where abroad.

Britain can be great. It currently isn’t.

I’m sure there are plenty of people who go abroad and it makes them think Britain is great. Sort of people that go to Spain and drink every day in the Red Lion. Except when it’s Spanish night, of course.

ah! the old Spain reference

I live in France,I'm lucky,I don't have to work

wages are a third of what they are in the UK and the cost of living,from my experience is far higher

Europe is no Utopia

Where did you live and for how long?

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Spent 4 years living in Asia in my 30s and 11 months in Oz. Never wanted to leave either but Mrs GB wanted to have our kids here, so fair enough. My dad's retired to France. Hasn't set foot in the UK for 14 years and doesn't want to :shrug:

no,but he wouldn't want to work here :wink:

earned enough money back in the UK :wink:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

Arguably a mistake my leaving Vancouver after 4 years, in part because my (now ex-)missus (Canadian) fancied living in London.

All that said, I love the South East, with the chance to watch The Albion regularly a big part of that.

stop blaming the women and grow some :lol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

wages are a third of what they are in the UK and the cost of living,from my experience is far higher

Europe is no Utopia

I ran the Red Lion in Spain.

You want to get rich in a gold rush… sell shovels.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That very much depends where abroad.

Britain can be great. It currently isn’t.

I’m sure there are plenty of people who go abroad and it makes them think Britain is great. Sort of people that go to Spain and drink every day in the Red Lion. Except when it’s Spanish night, of course.
I can confirm this. From the perspective of most expats I speak to it doesn't look very appealing at the moment. Divided, unpleasant and difficult.

As you say though I guess it depends on where.

We all know that Britain is a magnificent place packed with magnificent people doing magnificent things. The problem is that so are many other places. The trouble is that Britain is not showing its best self to the world at the moment.

Fwiw Brexit and Johnson have been a PR disaster for its image over here is Australia. Well with most people I speak to anyway. A shadow of its former self. With the caveat that it still produces incredible content through the arts (and Mrs Brown's Boys).

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I can confirm this. From the perspective of most expats I speak to it doesn't look very appealing at the moment. Divided, unpleasant and difficult.

As you say though I guess it depends on where.

We all know that Britain is a magnificent place packed with magnificent people doing magnificent things. The problem is that so are many other places. The trouble is that Britain is not showing its best self to the world at the moment.

Fwiw Brexit and Johnson have been a PR disaster for its image over here is Australia. Well with most people I speak to anyway. A shadow of its former self. With the caveat that it still produces incredible content through the arts (and Mrs Brown's Boys).

There are so many countries around the world not showing themselves in a great light at the moment. Granted many under the radar, but the far right has been on the rise in loads of western countries for a start - far more than here (see France for example). Its more of a worldwide phenomenon that people have become more divided than a British phenomenon, which is obviously linked to the rise in the far right around the world. Unfortunate that we've had brexit which has highlighted a divide here more than other countries, but I'd bet my house on most countries being no less divided than here overall.

Easy to think the grass is greener elsewhere but dig deep in to any culture and all countries have a load of issues one way or another.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Europe is no Utopia

Shhh... Britain is a shithole and everywhere else is infinitely better with infinitely better people - that's a Fact :rolleyes:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
There are so many countries around the world not showing themselves in a great light at the moment. Granted many under the radar, but the far right has been on the rise in loads of western countries for a start - far more than here (see France for example). Its more of a worldwide phenomenon that people have become more divided than a British phenomenon, which is obviously linked to the rise in the far right around the world. Unfortunate that we've had brexit which has highlighted it here more than other countries, but I'd bet my house on most countries being no less divided than here overall.

Easy to think the grass is greener elsewhere but dig deep in to any culture and all countries have a load of issues one way or another.

You do have a point, but I feel that our 'fall from grace' (as it were) has been far more pronounced around the world, especially as 'we' seem to hold ourselves in such high esteem.
I think that belief is so misplaced, now - even more so than it was before.

And, of course, we have Johnson. :facepalm:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There are so many countries around the world not showing themselves in a great light at the moment. Granted many under the radar, but the far right has been on the rise in loads of western countries for a start - far more than here (see France for example). Its more of a worldwide phenomenon that people have become more divided than a British phenomenon, which is obviously linked to the rise in the far right around the world. Unfortunate that we've had brexit which has highlighted a divide here more than other countries, but I'd bet my house on most countries being no less divided than here overall.

You are right of course but there is always the option of being counted jn the countries that are NOT divided and not creating a rise of the far right.

Here people comment on the UK because it is both the 'motherland' for a lot of people and we still take cultural cues from it. But also because it has been a world leader in culture, fairness and positivity in a lot of ways. People seem sad that from the outside it currently looks like a similar basket case to those counties you mention.

I went for a large work lunch with mostly Aussies just after the Brexit vote and the overriding questions to me where 'what the **** have you done?' and 'Why?' (I am still waiting for a decent answer to the second one).

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You do have a point, but I feel that our 'fall from grace' (as it were) has been far more pronounced around the world, especially as 'we' seem to hold ourselves in such high esteem.
I think that belief is so misplaced, now - even more so than it was before.

I see your point, but does the average person here really have that belief though? I don't know anyone who does. There will be some granted, just as there are some who think Britain is awful and everywhere else a utopia. Most people imo are more balanced and somewhere in between.

Probably like most countries, although I know a lot of French people from living there, and christ they are hard on themselves! Many of those i know anyway. I love the French culture overall but they do have deep rooted issues that we don't have, and vice versa.

Anyway, if we're talking about countries showing themselves in a poor light right now, step forward the good ol USA for top spot award currently after the shooting and fallout from it!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Quite a lot of brainwashed individuals on here. If you ignore the BBC and look at what you’re celebrating for what it really is you’ll realise that it’s an absolute joke.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You are right of course but there is always the option of being counted jn the countries that are NOT divided and not creating a rise of the far right.

Here people comment on the UK because it is both the 'motherland' for a lot of people and we still take cultural cues from it. But also because it has been a world leader in culture, fairness and positivity in a lot of ways. People seem sad that from the outside it currently looks like a similar basket case to those counties you mention.

I went for a large work lunch with mostly Aussies just after the Brexit vote and the overriding questions to me where 'what the **** have you done?' and 'Why?' (I am still waiting for a decent answer to the second one).

Good points. Most frustrating thing about brexit though is that it was only actually about 20(?)% of the population. And of the % that voted many will have been duped by the ridiculous Brexit party lies and not really understanding what they were voting for.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Brexit thread is elsewhere on NSC. Feel free to rehash it all on there.

Cheers :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports