Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help needed: how much should a new combi-boiler cost?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Simmo as ever is both reasonably accurate and a little rude ;).

I like to think of it as a very dry wit :rolleyes:

In all the fun of last night I said the boiler we use is £800.00
This is for the smallest output boiler.
+ flue + programmer + filling loop could add another £200.00 to this :ohmy:

That's my LAST POST on this thread :vuvu:

Last edited:

We're looking to replace our old combi boiler in our bathroom and just had a quote for around £2,200, is that the going rate please? Seems a little high to me but I must confess I'm completely ignorant about these things.

many thanks in advance.

I was thinking of replacing my Glow worm boiler soon and found these at a good price, all you need is a fitter, seems like a good few on here would give you a price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glow-Worm...PG-10008854-/201401609505?hash=item2ee478ad21

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm resurrecting this thread because the title seems appropriate and we'll get an idea of inflation.

Yesterday we noticed our 17 yo boiler wasn't working and was leaking water into the cupboard below it. I called the engineer out and he said it was spraying water inside including onto the PC (?) board. Hes isolated the part and it sounds like a big job and I'm thinking of replacing the boiler. Waiting for quotes.

Any recommendations for new boilers and idea of costs please? Can any work with hydrogen?

I'm assuming that an air source heat pump is too expensive as I'll probably need new radiators. Cheers.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Meanwhile back at Jimbobs

Fire Jump GIF by Xbox

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not a combi, but we replaced our system boiler (ie it has a hot water cylinder) earlier this year.

It was also old - it came with the house we bought about eight years ago. Like yours, at some point it sprayed water everywhere. We have BG home cover and it was repaired, repeatedly, and every time we were warned that due to its age we could soon reach a point where the parts were no longer available for it.

We decided we'd rather get it replaced at a time that suited, ie not waiting for it to die in the middle of winter and face days to weeks without heat and hot water.

I got quotes from a few places online - such as Box - they all go through a series of standard-ish questions to ascertain what you need, as well as getting BG to quote.

The BG quote was...

Boiler: £1,182
Installation: £2,930

Some random discounts: £150

Total: £3962

Our installation costs were ramped up due to the location or our boiler and the need to put scaffolding in place to change the flue.

I knew from a prior quote with BG that if you wait two weeks after the initial quote, you get another £200 discount emailed through, so I waited two weeks and that arrived, taking it down to £3,762.

We went with BG because they offered 5-years interest free credit. Additionally, they heavily discounted our BG Homecare for a few years which also offset the initial outlay a fair bit.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Completely different scenario but we recently renovated our 2 bed flat which had an old school boiler with separate water tank and night storage heaters. The total cost including pipework, radiators, boiler, labour etc came to 5,500.

Also what ever happened to Buzzer? He was the only NSCer I've ever knowingly met in the flesh when we swapped some music.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
We had a new Vailant Pure 830 fitted in Oct 2020, which required little extra doing apart from just putting it in exactly the same place as the old one and renewing the pipework around it. That was £2500.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm resurrecting this thread because the title seems appropriate and we'll get an idea of inflation.

Yesterday we noticed our 17 yo boiler wasn't working and was leaking water into the cupboard below it. I called the engineer out and he said it was spraying water inside including onto the PC (?) board. Hes isolated the part and it sounds like a big job and I'm thinking of replacing the boiler. Waiting for quotes.

Any recommendations for new boilers and idea of costs please? Can any work with hydrogen?

I'm assuming that an air source heat pump is too expensive as I'll probably need new radiators. Cheers.
We had ours done last year. Apparently after a decade or so, boilers substantially lose their efficiency, so my hunch is that you'll more than compensate for the outlay through decreased bills. We got a Vaillant (again) which cost about the same as Bozza paid. Can't tell you about cost of installation, because it was woven in with many other jobs done by the (very good) plumber.
We looked at air source heat pumps, and couldn't justify the cost. There are subsidies, but the noise around the process of claiming isn't exactly encouraging, and the uptake is low. All I'll say on this is that in the EU they've thrown a load of money at transitioning to heat pumps, and reports are pretty positive on that, so the technology is rolling out (and that ought to impact on cost, efficiency of installation, etc).
Hydrogen is still a long way off, but think they'll be designed to deliver through a gas boiler (rather than a heat pump) once it comes on board.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure where you're based but Jacksons have done a lot of work for me and come highly recommended.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We had ours done last year. Apparently after a decade or so, boilers substantially lose their efficiency, so my hunch is that you'll more than compensate for the outlay through decreased bills.
I'm not saying that advice is wrong, but I was told that although our boiler was old, it was highly efficient meaning we would see little difference in our gas bills upon replacing it. Prior to that, I was hopeful that a new boiler would see our gas bills come down. From what I could tell - our boiler was changed at the beginning of January - they were right, and we've seen no benefit in terms of efficiency and reduced gas consumption.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Had a Wiessman installed by an excellent local plumber I think in 2021. Really good boiler. Fitted and th old 'system' pipework all other pipework sorted and the header tank in the attic and everything properly removed and disposed of and a new WiFi controller system installed for approx £3.5k.

Beware the usual 'I got mine done for 50 quid - you're being ripped off' ers. You generally get what you pay for .

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Completely different scenario but we recently renovated our 2 bed flat which had an old school boiler with separate water tank and night storage heaters. The total cost including pipework, radiators, boiler, labour etc came to 5,500.

Also what ever happened to Buzzer? He was the only NSCer I've ever knowingly met in the flesh when we swapped some music.
Isn't that a bit big for a flat ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I replaced mine 3 month ago. Went from a old school gravity fed hot water tank to a Worcester Bosch combi boiler. Used iHeat who supplied and installed and removed the old system. Ordered on the Wednesday and it was installed by Friday. Was £3.6k. Be warned there could be some added extras you hadn't budgeted for if you are switching systems. My shower controller wasn't compatible with the new system so that was another £450 to get a new controller board. On the plus side though the fancy tap I was sold when I replaced my kitchen which wasn't compatible with a gravity fed system now works so I have hot water in the kitchen.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not saying that advice is wrong, but I was told that although our boiler was old, it was highly efficient meaning we would see little difference in our gas bills upon replacing it. Prior to that, I was hopeful that a new boiler would see our gas bills come down. From what I could tell - our boiler was changed at the beginning of January - they were right, and we've seen no benefit in terms of efficiency and reduced gas consumption.
I'm also not digging heels in: but it wasn't advice (from, eg, a plumber), but something I garnered from just reading around the issue. It probably depends on what boiler you're replacing.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

I know that the current Weissman boilers are ready for 10% hydrogen (or at least plenty above the target that we'll never hit for adding hydrogen to our gas supply and I would recommend them.
PCB plus labour is probably going to hit £700 notes because they are often needlessly and ridiculously expensive and it's not guaranteed to sort your problems.

Straight swap assuming pipes roughly right position already, gas supply doesn't need uprating, flushing system etc and commissioning looking at £1k labour.

And yes you do need bigger rads for a heat pump and a well insulated house.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Thanksgor all suggestions. Current boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 24. Been quoted £1900 for an Ideal Atlantic with 5 year guarantee. Also options for other Gloworm, Worcester boilers. Cheapest Worcester is the Greenstar 4000 with 7 year warranty + £500. Prices include a loyalty discount. (On a contract)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here