Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help needed: how much should a new combi-boiler cost?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have you not had the phone calls- Government legislation says that every house must ha ve a boiler etc. We get a call everyday.along with PPI and accident no win no fee claims.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You can look up online how much the boiler costs and then expect 300/400 hundred for a swap over. Very rarely is it a straight swap if you have had the old one for a few years either. It's a good earner for the gas boys as they can do one in a day if all goes right.
What boiler is in your quote Buzzer ?

Last edited:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Oh sorry. I thought you'd gone to bed. Don't get the humour? That's why you're trade. Stick to On the Buses.

Well done on making a pop on all the qualified tradesmen here.. Of which, there's some very good brickies, chippies and plumbers on here.
Lets hope you never need any help eh ? :thumbsup:

I only had a pop at a big mouth who can dish it out in spades but can't take it. I've just been saying what great guys the guys in the trades are. There is one person I'd rather not deal with though.

I would hope he wouldn't help a Palace fan like yourself out anyway.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I only had a pop at a big mouth who can dish it out in spades but can't take it. I've just been saying what great guys the guys in the trades are. There are people I'd rather not deal with though.

SIMMO is NSC's go to person in this field so he has an undisputed good rep. He has pointed me in the right direction just recently.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Honest question - how old are you?
No silly comeback just the truth.
When you got banned I thought you were about fifteen.
You obviously are older but you still come across as a bit dense.

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm older than 15.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Oh really??

I'm a plumber with over 25 years experience with my own business.

Any professional company would not be charging £700 for even a straight swop combi.

The boiler you have fitted is currently on sale in Screwfix at £474.33 with a free flue.

Did your gas installer do a power flush on the system?
Did he use inhibitor?
Did he use any fittings or pipe?

As I said he is probably a good friend of yours .
What you think I'm going to be ripped off by some idiot who wants to charge me a grand just to swap a combi boiler over? I'm in the business of making money not giving it away. I personally think two grand to change a boiler is insane but fair play if you can get the mugs to pay it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What you think I'm going to be ripped off by some idiot who wants to charge me a grand just to swap a combi boiler over? I'm in the business of making money not giving it away. I personally think two grand to change a boiler is insane but fair play if you can get the mugs to pay it.

Fair play to you, but the price you said and your first comment on this thread hasn't really helped the OP one bit, this thread isn't about you getting a deal because the OP hasn't got a gas installer mate called Tony.

Not sure when you bought the boiler but today's price isn't £400.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Fair play to you, but the price you said and your first comment on this thread hasn't really helped the OP one bit, this thread isn't about you getting a deal because the OP hasn't got a gas installer mate called Tony.

Not sure when you bought the boiler but today's price isn't £400.
The boiler was on a deal but that is irrelevant here, all the resident plumbers got a bit touchy with me because they know a grand to change a boiler is taking the piss out of the average homeowner.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've always had bad luck/expense with boilers.

First place had water tank and a really old boiler. Had all that taken out and a new one put in that I had constant problems with. Was a good make but with a design fault on a circuit board that was never identified until I guess word got round the installers.

Eventually found a very good boiler guy who happened to quite clever with electronics. He took it away and mananged to get it going - but that was the last chance. Unfixable after that and they company had rightly stopped making the board.

So 5 years after installation had to have the whole thing pulled out and replaced with a new one.

In the current property an old boiler that I spent hundreds on to keep going. Couldn't have it replaced because I actually needed it moved long term into another room.

So all that done now.

The point is that I've had three boiler installations (both swap and complete rip out and move) and accouting for inflation - I'm not sure I've paid the above until the last occurance (probably just over) where there was quite major work re-routing everything.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The boiler was on a deal but that is irrelevant here, all the resident plumbers got a bit touchy with me because they know a grand to change a boiler is taking the piss out of the average homeowner.

Buy one, get two free ?
:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here