• No

Votes: 29 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I'm reserving judgement until I see the replay - If it was not a clear goalscoring opportunity, then it was not a red. If Buckley was going away from goal, and a defender was tracking back, then perhaps it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Clearly the ref disagrees as he decided to send Heaton off for the softest infringement of all time. Clearly making amends.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
I thought the goalkeeper had taken the ball out of the area for the second booking, but the footage (what footage that was available in the replay in the concourse) suggested not, and the official reason seemed to be 'unsporting behaviour.'
I think it may be for handling the ball again once it was out of his hands. That should be a foul and yellow. Having already got a dubious yellow he had to walk. But I was some way from the incident.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
Defender being the last man doesn't matter. If a defender brings down a forward with only the keeper behind him it's a red for a professional foul. In this case the keeper took the role of the defender in making the foul.

As blatant a red as you can see.

This...... my take is that the goal keeper takes out player and last man or not it's a straight red

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Brilliantly I was taking my 6 year old for a wee at the time. I'll have to take everyone's words for it.....

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Clearly the ref disagrees as he decided to send Heaton off for the softest infringement of all time. Clearly making amends.

Exactly if the ref hadn't thought he had cocked up there is no way the second yellow would have happened.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
This...... my take is that the goal keeper takes out player and last man or not it's a straight red

Wrong. It doesn't matter which position the player has. The split second decision that the referee had to make is did the goalkeeper deny a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity. I was sat in the back row of the north directly in line with the incident. From there in my opinion (for what it's worth) the ref got it spot on as Buckley went past the keeper but was heading in the direction of the corner flag. If this is the case it's not a clear goalscoring opportunity and is punished with a caution. .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Wrong. It doesn't matter which position the player has. The split second decision that the referee had to make is did the goalkeeper deny a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity. I was sat in the back row of the north directly in line with the incident. From there in my opinion (for what it's worth) the ref got it spot on as Buckley went past the keeper but was heading in the direction of the corner flag. If this is the case it's not a clear goalscoring opportunity and is punished with a caution. .
When people quote that it has to be a clear goalscoring opportunity - that is completely incorrect. Not that it wasn't anyway watch it again, when a player rounds the keeper it is a clear goalscoring opportunity irrelevant of players between him and goal

C

CT1

Personally I don't think it matters if he was the last man or not. If a defender was back to cover, it would still have been a goal scoring opportunity for the attacker, so why no red? No brainer for me. He's been denied a goal scoring opportunity, end of.

The first one was a straight red in my mind as it was a proffesionsl foul that denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. the second yellow seemed to be the ref making amends.

Agree with this , but even if their defender was covering it was a straight red as the keeper lunged at Buckley and took him out knee high - dangerous play.

Second yellow was never a yellow - I thought he had done him for handball outside the area but the resulting free kick was taken inside the box.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Agree with this , but even if their defender was covering it was a straight red as the keeper lunged at Buckley and took him out knee high - dangerous play.

Second yellow was never a yellow - I thought he had done him for handball outside the area but the resulting free kick was taken inside the box.

Handled the ball twice, without it touching another player. That's a yellow card.

However, it seems it was apparently for unsporting conduct, which is odd.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the ref got both decisions spot on. In the first Buckley had pushed the ball towards the corner flag rather than the goal so was going away from goal so a definite yellow. In the 2nd the goalkeeper played the ball a 2nd time after releasing it which is not permitted and is punishable with an indrect free kick, which the ref gave and then a yellow for unsporting behaviour.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If the keeper had been in his goal, and that was a defender tackling, then yes it should have been a yellow. But the fact it was the keeper, it would have been a tap in for Buckley had he made it past the keeper despite the defender "Covering"

I'm reserving judgement until I see the replay - If it was not a clear goalscoring opportunity, then it was not a red. If Buckley was going away from goal, and a defender was tracking back, then perhaps it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity.
The keeper was so far out of the box and Buckley had so much space in front of him that, whichever direction he was going (and left of the keeper was the most threatening route), he would have had time and space to put a clear shot into the net, without the need to rush anything. You wouldn't see a clearer goal-scoring opportunity than this one.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I think the ref got it right, the keeper wasn't the last man and he has as much right to tackle outside of the box as anyone.

Except it wasn't a tackle as bucca slipped the ball past him before the keeper blatantly took him out. Dyche however agrees with you although whoever wrote up the interview can't tell bucca and Leo apart :lol:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377371687.423659.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here