Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

He found out from the BBC.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Does anyone who's worked in PR have the answer to why it would ever be a good decision to release a statement KNOWING he is on tv?

I'd love to know

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I'm pretty certain Gus would not have made ANY comments live on tv to the BBC and nation if he didn't know exactly what was in the club statement and if his legal team had not already read the letter from the club sacking him and told him how to play the halftime interview!!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I find it hard to believe the club would have released that statement without telling Gus and his representatives first. Then again, whats gone on over the last month, or hasn't as the case may be, there's little that would surprise me now.

The club would have known full well Gus was booked to appear as a pundit tonight. If this decision to give him the boot was made, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or whenever, why would the club wait until this evening when he's on air? There's definitely some mind games being played by the club here, whether Gus knew or didn't know.

Maybe the club knew already he planned to appeal and upped the anti with this mind game stunt? This whole farce is like 1997 revisited!

oh_the_drama.jpg

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Say he did know, still why would you release the statement while he is on TV?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Technically I can believe he is right the club probably didn't tell him directly he was sacked as I suspect all correspondence is going through his lawyers. Whether his lawyers told him and he is spinning the truth or whether they choose not to tell him yet I have no idea but I suspect the club did the appropriate notifications as the seem intent on following "correct procedure".

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Does anyone who's worked in PR have the answer to why it would ever be a good decision to release a statement KNOWING he is on tv?

I'd love to know

My point exactly! Bizarre after WEEKS of waiting we can't wait another 70minutes of transmission time!

albionite

May 20, 2009
It's sad that he has gone and it has ended like this. But when is a good time to be sacked? It's a live by the sword, die by the sword scenario with gus's love for the media. A lot of people have been moaning they can't wait another day. Now it's bad timing?! Brighton need to move on and get ready for this season.... Not fit in with gus media appointments.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Another angle could be that the club followed the correct channels and did advise all parties earlier this evening, hoping that Gus would be asked live on air about it and put his foot in it a bit more. The comments Gus has made about not knowing until advised by the BBC if proved to be wrong, will be classed as further defamation against his employer and so an appeal will be pointless as he's dug a bigger hole live on the televison. The best thing the club can do now is to call his bluff and give a statement to the BBC before the end of the game advising who and when were advised and at what time. Great poler hand by Bloom and Co !

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
i fail to believe the club would have put out a statement on the website without informing gus first. definitely playing games.

I tend to agree. But releasing that statement while he's live on TV was always likely to be a massive own goal.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
It's sad that he has gone and it has ended like this. But when is a good time to be sacked? It's a live by the sword, die by the sword scenario with gus's love for the media. A lot of people have been moaning they can't wait another day. Now it's bad timing?! Brighton need to move on and get ready for this season.... Not fit in with gus media appointments.

Totally agree with this. The club cant win, People moan that its taking ages regarding an announcement, then when they announce something people still have a moan up. Hes gone, Move on.

I agree its not the best timing but when would be!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here