Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Haydon Roberts - new 3 year deal and loaned to Rochdale

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very critical of the albion about player development; words to the effect that his son should be in the first team.

You'll have to trawl NSC for the exact quotes as it's possibly been removed from twitter.

I'd get rid. I'm totally sick of this sort of entitlement, attitude and ingratitude.

Calm down, Dad wants best for his son but not very good on social media shock. I have some sympathy with parents of kids going through development systems - they are unforgiving brutal places at times.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
From the Argus:

Potter is asked whether he should be pleased young players are attracting interest.

"If it's a genuine interest based on football performances, that's really positive. If it's just noise from the media or agents, that's not so helpful.

"The important things is the players are here, they train properly, they prepare for the games.

"That's the best way to think about your football career as a young player.

"Focus on the job you have to do on the pitch."

I may be wrong but I can't help think that this is a dig aimed at those around Roberts.

If it isn't it should be!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The CB conveyer belt we have going on at the moment is quite ridiculous, it is something about our area that means we produce quality young defenders but pretty much no strikers? Odd one.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Blimey, this would have been one of the dads from hell if his son was playing for the youth football team you were trying to coach.
I had one once. Loudly criticising the other "inferior" players in the team. I told him that I would not select his son if he persisted. Never had a peep from him afterwards.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Pure speculation but I wonder if us reportedly not wanting to loan him out is because we know he’s going to walk away next summer, so there’s no point helping him develop only for another club to benefit.

Arguably, he'll develop more here than he would do at a League 1 or 2 club. I would have thought that our set up is better than playing at a lower level but every player is different and you might have a point. Personally, I think he's too young to have to be playing at this stage. I hope Lewis Dunk puts an arm around his shoulders and tells him about his own path into regular football.

If Roberts signs a nice 4 year contract, plays in the u23s for 6 months and proves himself capable of competing in the Football League trophy, he'll be out on loan in January and probably a whole season next year. But he's still just a puppy, he should listen to the players who know.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Just reported this post. Someone posts they imagine his dad is doing something and this is your response.

You seem totally incapable of acting like an adult and I personally have had enough of your childish trolling.

Thank you so much. I happen to know about the guy in question. You clearly don’t. I will leave it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pure speculation but I wonder if us reportedly not wanting to loan him out is because we know he’s going to walk away next summer, so there’s no point helping him develop only for another club to benefit.

I think there's two reasons: to deal with his moaning dad (hence perhaps making Roberts put that signature to a new contract) and because Roberts still is only 18 and probably will develop equally much from training with the Brighton first team squad as he would playing in League One or Two. His lack of height would always put him in danger of getting benched or whatever in the lower divisions, if the team struggles. Unnecessary risk.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's been playing in a 6-a-side league on Sunday evenings in Hove Park, which seems a pretty stupid thing for a professional footballer to do.

And again tonight, after apparently being warned not to. Seems like the guy is a total bellend. Sounds perfect for Leeds, to be honest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seems very odd. Imagine if he got injured , how would he explain that. And if he’s done it again after being warned sounds like a proper ****.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And again tonight, after apparently being warned not to. Seems like the guy is a total bellend. Sounds perfect for Leeds, to be honest.
Very disappointing if this is the case.

To use a well known phrase which is not always accurate, but may well be in this case - I blame the parent..............

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Papa Roberts has got a hell of a lot of unwarranted stick to be honest, within both this thread and others.

The bloke makes a couple of snide comments about what’s most useful for youth development on social media, all of a sudden he’s an unfit parent who is going to ruin the career of one of our brightest young talents...

Anyway if this is what Haydon is doing the blame is squarely with him. Explains why he hasn’t been playing in the U23s the last few games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Papa Roberts has got a hell of a lot of unwarranted stick to be honest, within both this thread and others.

The bloke makes a couple of snide comments about what’s most useful for youth development on social media, all of a sudden he’s an unfit parent who is going to ruin the career of one of our brightest young talents...

Anyway if this is what Haydon is doing the blame is squarely with him. Explains why he hasn’t been playing in the U23s the last few games.
Leaving aside Roberts senior's questionable comments, I totally agree with your final paragraph. A very good young prospect, according to most, and one that I'd hate us to lose, but if he's really that much of a dickhead ........................................

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh dear.

Sounds like he is being advised to behave poorly to engineer a transfer away.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Still find it a bit mental to be doing that - on the eve of an England call up too :ffsparr:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This is where the positive role models within the club need to be involved to earn their salt. People like Bruno, Dunk, Ashworth.

Hell, if I'd had that sort of guidance as an 18 year old maybe I'd have made better decisions. It sounds like the lads head is spinning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here