Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Haydon Roberts - new 3 year deal and loaned to Rochdale

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
[tweet]1308055814737981442[/tweet]

Funnily enough we have been telling Leeds to do exactly that on quite a few occasions recently, but their MIGHTINESS seems to be making them a bit slow on the uptake.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
A nuisance because we can defend. Not many teams will concede 7 goals in 2 games, including 3 against Fulham!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seen a few references to this out of interest what has his Dad said ?
Very critical of the albion about player development; words to the effect that his son should be in the first team.

You'll have to trawl NSC for the exact quotes as it's possibly been removed from twitter.

I'd get rid. I'm totally sick of this sort of entitlement, attitude and ingratitude.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Very critical of the albion about player development; words to the effect that his son should be in the first team.

You'll have to trawl NSC for the exact quotes as it's possibly been removed from twitter.

I'd get rid. I'm totally sick of this sort of entitlement, attitude and ingratitude.

What, he actually thinks his son should be starting ahead of White or Webster? Or possibly club captain Dunk or Dutch International Veltman?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What, he actually thinks his son should be starting ahead of White or Webster? Or possibly club captain Dunk or Dutch International Veltman?
Yep. Not in those words but that was the only logical conclusion.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Bizarre stance to take from the Dad at that age it is more important to be playing regularly than being in the first team squad and it would be hard to find an argument for him to unseat Dunk, White, Webster or even Veltman.

Hopefully this is just his Dad being a bit of a knob and Roberts is a bit more sensible about his own development as a player.

After all I can’t see him leaving us and waltzing into another premier league starting 11 with his lack of playing experience.

Like the noise around the White situation am sure this one will resolve itself with a new improved contract.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Yep. Not in those words but that was the only logical conclusion.
You’d have thought he’d have seen the brilliant way we’ve handled White’s development and his ultimate progression as a premier League defender and been thrilled his son is in the best place?

He’s nearly 5 years younger than White, can’t see what he’s expecting?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You’d have thought he’d have seen the brilliant way we’ve handled White’s development and his ultimate progression as a premier League defender and been thrilled his son is in the best place?

Probably a new car from his grateful son???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
SSN reporting this morning that we've rejected the Leeds bid (not exactly new news, I think?) but also that we don't want him to go out on loan.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Agreed. It is somewhat baffling the level of arrogance and expectation involved on such a young kid. If managed well he can have a 15+ year professional career, no need to force things at a young age

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Clarke and Ostigard will both probably want to be in the first team squad next year, with Roberts and O'Hora on their coat tails.

I personally think we’ll cash in on Clarke, he looks decent enough when I’ve seen him play, but doesn’t look better than what we have. Ostigard expected lower championship Club loan for this season may get top end championship club next “if” he performs well over the season, if he doesn’t, he may have found his level and move on.

Big season for Van der Hecke too, Eredivisie is a jump up to the Dutch second tier, it’s still a big jump from that to PL so anything could happen.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we’re entertaining huge bids for White and Lamptey next close season, potentially opening spots, if the club/offer is right for the player and our valuations.

Not all the current development path players are going to end up in the first team, so if Roberts is that good and listens to and trusts the club, he’ll get his opportunity.

fwiw Bielsa will be gone next summer and we’ll get more than 800k in a tribunal if we keep him and bring him on as a late sub in a few PL games.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
From the Argus:

Potter is asked whether he should be pleased young players are attracting interest.

"If it's a genuine interest based on football performances, that's really positive. If it's just noise from the media or agents, that's not so helpful.

"The important things is the players are here, they train properly, they prepare for the games.

"That's the best way to think about your football career as a young player.

"Focus on the job you have to do on the pitch."

I may be wrong but I can't help think that this is a dig aimed at those around Roberts.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
From the Argus:

Potter is asked whether he should be pleased young players are attracting interest.

"If it's a genuine interest based on football performances, that's really positive. If it's just noise from the media or agents, that's not so helpful.

"The important things is the players are here, they train properly, they prepare for the games.

"That's the best way to think about your football career as a young player.

"Focus on the job you have to do on the pitch."

I may be wrong but I can't help think that this is a dig aimed at those around Roberts.

Probably as much, if not more, about Ben White's agent and all the Leeds-centric hot air in the media at the time (and even since!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here