Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you turned the heating OFF yet? [Spring 2023 edition]

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
My heating is still set to come on, with thermostat at 18C, for 2 hours each evening and hot water cylinder for 30 mins each morning. Gas Aga still fully on, but expect to turn everything off around mid May by which time solar PV panels will be supplying 100% of my energy needs through to end of Sept.

I'm still £660 in credit, so will be reducing my direct debit from £192 ( £400 govt subsidy was on top) to £115 a month.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Heating is off tonight, but I've lit the fire to remain toasty on this miserable wet evening.

We leave it on till at least June! 1890s terraced house in a conservation area with single glazed windows ( not paying 10 grand to replace) and with poorly insulated roof so get drafts everywhere

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
January temperatures at the end of April!

Are you all still going to tough it out with zero heating?
664C62F0-1084-4392-8999-352B0ADF2DD4.png

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had an air-source heat pump installed last week. Trying to be more environmentally concious (and taking advantage of government rebates).

April is always a bonkers time for weather in Toronto, so it's been a good time to test it. It was around 28C over the weekend, so the air conditioning kicked in and it's ice cold.

On Monday it was snowing :lolol: so I've had chance to test the heating side of the system. It seems to be holding up well to the lower temperatures. I'm sure they backup furnace will kick in next winter when we get the really cold days but I was assured the heat pump should be good down to around -20C.

One thing I miss about the UK - radiators. You don't get that same warm, cosy feeling with forced air heating.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
CH off for a month now, just the occasional evening fire. Things may be chilly next week

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
In Eastern Ontario and most of Québec, we've had the following weather, recently:
  • 3 weeks ago, it was 20 ºC; local golf clubs opened their doors
  • 2 weeks ago, we were hit by a once-in-a-generation ice storm that knocked out power for 1 to 3 days and left millions of us shivering in the dark; local golf clubs shut down
  • last week, it was between 25 ºC and 30 ºC for several days; local golf clubs opened back up and were turning away customers
  • yesterday, I joined the picket line and stood for 5 hours in -5 ºC weather and light flurries; local golfers bundled up in several layers of knitwear and wore their January snow-shovelling gloves between shots
  • tomorrow, the high will be 20 ºC again; local golfers will burn incense at the altar of the Temple of Vesta and pray that spring and winter stop playing tag
  • for the 3rd time in 6 years, the Ottawa River will overflow its banks due to heavy rains and the late spring melt; and in spite of the thousands of sandbags already in place, several hundred homes and low-rent apartment buildings will be flooded and leave owners and tenants with millions of dollars of damaged property and belongings, not to mention a free, but very uncomfortable stay of several weeks/months at a local shelter until the waters recede and insurance claims are processed. My neighbourhood is on the edge of an affected area, which means that sooner or later, we'll lose power.
  • have I mentioned that we haven't had a serious tornado in 4 years? We are due. One of those is always good for a week of of candelit dinners and early bed times.
So... No, we haven't turned off the heat yet!

:sneaky:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Thermostat is set for 16 degrees and its still coming on for 45-60 mins in the early hours when the wife gets up for work - but thats it. Havent needed to have it on in the evening for a while now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All CH heating still off, house currently at 16c downstair and 17c upstairs. Did have to have a fire Monday night, just too cold and wet outside.

Should be it, unless the oldies come to stay as they feel the cold

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Financial considerations mean that the heating (which has been on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening with thermostat set to 18) is going off on Friday until autumn.

Here’s hoping for mild weather from here on in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here