Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you had Covid-19 ......Could you share your experience?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not been on NSC for a while but saw this thread and thought I should comment.
On March 21 I came down with a fever, slight cough etc. For a few days it wasn't too bad and I thought I'd got off lightly.
After 7 days however I was really struggling. I started having trouble breathing. Eventually I called 111 and they were concerned enough to send an ambulance.
When the ambulance arrived they did a variety of tests and then rushed me to hospital.
The breathing was getting harder and I was put on a drip and given an oxygen mask to help breath.
My condition got worse and I was genuinely scared for my life at one point (probably just being paranoid but being alone and not able to breath without help is scary!)
The fever was awful and I was basically on a drip every few hours giving me medicine to help keep my temperature down.
My resting heart rate which is normally about 60 went up to 120!
After 4 days of hell in hospital (but amazing care from the drs and nurses) I started to feel better and was discharged to continue recovery at home.
It has now been 3 1/2 weeks and I am still not fully recovered. I am mostly better but am extremely tired. I went for a walk for the first time yesterday - just a short walk - and it felt like I had run a marathon!!

Do everything you can to not get this thing - it is horrendous!

Glad you're OK Kneon - hope you're back on the chessboard soon.

I didn't have an experience like that but I was hit by a fever and shortness of breath two weeks ago... I gradually got better and then, this weekend, was hit by a second wave that laid me flat out. This time I had to ring 111 and they told me to get in touch my doctor urgently. He said that I just had to rest and contact him again if it got worse.

Touch wood, I seem to be over the worst of it now and, unless I get a third wave, I'm on the mend. But I've been poorly for nearly two weeks now and, at its peak, I couldn't move. Just walking to the kitchen to make a cup of tea left me feeling like I'd run a marathon.

I'm lucky, many people have had it much worse than me but it's certainly something to be avoided. It's like a really, really mad bout of flu and I feel like I need to stay inside for a bit longer.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I send you my best wishes.

As it happens, over the weekend I read an article about possible longer-term effects of the virus (clearly this is still postulation, as nobody in the world had the virus before December). The article did mention clots.

I provide a link here (entirely up to you whether you choose to read it, of course) - Coronavirus infection may cause lasting damage throughout the body, doctors fear

That article is equal parts interesting and terrifying!

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Glad you're OK Kneon - hope you're back on the chessboard soon.

I didn't have an experience like that but I was hit by a fever and shortness of breath two weeks ago... I gradually got better and then, this weekend, was hit by a second wave that laid me flat out. This time I had to ring 111 and they told me to get in touch my doctor urgently. He said that I just had to rest and contact him again if it got worse.

Touch wood, I seem to be over the worst of it now and, unless I get a third wave, I'm on the mend. But I've been poorly for nearly two weeks now and, at its peak, I couldn't move. Just walking to the kitchen to make a cup of tea left me feeling like I'd run a marathon.

I'm lucky, many people have had it much worse than me but it's certainly something to be avoided. It's like a really, really mad bout of flu and I feel like I need to stay inside for a bit longer.

Hope you continue to recover.
I'm trying to do a little more each day but it is taking all my energy juet doing basic things at the moment.
Still able to play chess though :)

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Ok blood showed up some abnormalities which also go with Covid-19
Next couple of days may swing one way or the other but u can go home
Being put down as a probable got it or had it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Blimey, all the best.

I've been wondering if there's also another bug doing the rounds that can give you shortness of breath or constant coughing. I've had a cough on and off for over three weeks and it will not shift. I had a couple of days where I thought it was gone and another couple of days where I've barely slept and missed a couple of breaths. Because it's inconsistent and I've not had a temperature I don't need hospital or a test but I normally run marathons and have a resting heart rate of around 50 so I shift these things pretty quickly. This one is getting worse if anything so getting slightly worried. Kids both had a similar cough after lockdown and recovered within a week.

EDIT - should say I've not had any sort of temperature and am eating like a horse, hence the question about another bug

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just been taken in ambulance down to chi never been so scared
Pains in chest running tests now
Good luck doogie.

Is it doogie or doggie? Being put down sounds harsh.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Blimey, all the best.

I've been wondering if there's also another bug doing the rounds that can give you shortness of breath or constant coughing. I've had a cough on and off for over three weeks and it will not shift. I had a couple of days where I thought it was gone and another couple of days where I've barely slept and missed a couple of breaths. Because it's inconsistent and I've not had a temperature I don't need hospital or a test but I normally run marathons and have a resting heart rate of around 50 so I shift these things pretty quickly. This one is getting worse if anything so getting slightly worried. Kids both had a similar cough after lockdown and recovered within a week.

EDIT - should say I've not had any sort of temperature and am eating like a horse, hence the question about another bug

I had something like that the first week of March just before the lockdown but starting the same day the govt said to self-isolate. I had pretty much the same symptoms as you, but early on I had a temperature on and off for a couple of days, but it wasn't raging. Simply not having a temperature does not preclude coronavirus. I felt pretty rubbish for about 3 weeks and at times was quite short of breath. At the end of it, I phoned my doctor as I was worried about returning to work as I was still coughing a lot. The doctor was very reassuring, but he did say at the end of the conversation that it wasn't unlikely that I had had the virus. The cough has only just started going away this week 6 weeks later.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I had something like that the first week of March just before the lockdown but starting the same day the govt said to self-isolate. I had pretty much the same symptoms as you, but early on I had a temperature on and off for a couple of days, but it wasn't raging. Simply not having a temperature does not preclude coronavirus. I felt pretty rubbish for about 3 weeks and at times was quite short of breath. At the end of it, I phoned my doctor as I was worried about returning to work as I was still coughing a lot. The doctor was very reassuring, but he did say at the end of the conversation that it wasn't unlikely that I had had the virus. The cough has only just started going away this week 6 weeks later.

Interesting. I'm going to see how tonight's sleep is and do a 111 online if it gets worse. I'm currently sitting here with a slight tickle in the top of my lungs but otherwise having cooked, eaten (a quarter of) and washed up after a large shepherd's pie with carrots, having been playing and cracking jokes with the kids. However, last night's sleep was one of the ones where I woke up with my chest totally constricted.

I'm self isolating BTW as anyone from the running thread knows. Kids also want to stay in even though they're clear so we're relying on deliveries and very occasional trips out by Mrs GB.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Interesting. I'm going to see how tonight's sleep is and do a 111 online if it gets worse. I'm currently sitting here with a slight tickle in the top of my lungs but otherwise having cooked, eaten (a quarter of) and washed up after a large shepherd's pie with carrots, having been playing and cracking jokes with the kids. However, last night's sleep was one of the ones where I woke up with my chest totally constricted.

I'm self isolating BTW as anyone from the running thread knows. Kids also want to stay in even though they're clear so we're relying on deliveries and very occasional trips out by Mrs GB.

All the best to you. I know it is hard not to worry too much but almost certainly you will be fine. I had moments where I felt genuinely worried as well, just as you describe, with constriction and soreness in the chest, but as time went by thankfully it eased off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
All the best to you. I know it is hard not to worry too much but almost certainly you will be fine. I had moments where I felt genuinely worried as well, just as you describe, with constriction and soreness in the chest, but as time went by thankfully it eased off.

Cheers, all the best to you too :thumbsup:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Another rough night of sweating and shivering
Never had a cough or loss of smell or taste
Started Monday night with sweating like crazy and shivering for two days
Then felt fine
Then sat morning woke up with chest pains
Had them before where I have pulled the muscle behind the heart from throwing suitcases in boot (taxi driver) but had not done any work ?
According to the amazing staff down there yesterday
I was not staying in and not bad enough to b tested which did surprise me a little but excepted what I was told
Go home rest and if pain gets any worse phone 999
They did say that people that there are so many variables with this everyone that is comming through the door has some thing different
In my case heart ok
X-ray
Temp ok
But blood showed abnormalities of which some of them are equal to people that have got virus
Which was why I am being written down as a probable
Crazy I know but next couple of days should know chest pain will improve or get worse
Any way thank you for good wishes it meant a lot I was shit scared don’t mind admitting that wife was not allowed to b there either which don’t help as I suffer with anxiety

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Another rough night of sweating and shivering
Never had a cough or loss of smell or taste
Started Monday night with sweating like crazy and shivering for two days
Then felt fine
Then sat morning woke up with chest pains
Had them before where I have pulled the muscle behind the heart from throwing suitcases in boot (taxi driver) but had not done any work ?
According to the amazing staff down there yesterday
I was not staying in and not bad enough to b tested which did surprise me a little but excepted what I was told
Go home rest and if pain gets any worse phone 999
They did say that people that there are so many variables with this everyone that is comming through the door has some thing different
In my case heart ok
X-ray
Temp ok
But blood showed abnormalities of which some of them are equal to people that have got virus
Which was why I am being written down as a probable
Crazy I know but next couple of days should know chest pain will improve or get worse
Any way thank you for good wishes it meant a lot I was shit scared don’t mind admitting that wife was not allowed to b there either which don’t help as I suffer with anxiety
Hopefully you don't need to go back in, but if you do they should still be able to sort you out. On the bright side, when the virus is spreading around come winter, you'll hopefully be immune.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Don’t know why but when the paramedics said is there anything you want to take with you yes I said I’m wearing my brighton shirt [emoji12]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here