Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever owned the car of your dreams?

boik

This was my DS23 EFI for 20 years. A Chapron convertible would have been my dream, but don't have 150k!

img0012.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I did, briefly. In the 1970's I bought a lovely red MGB. Unfortunately though, it was the only time I really got done over when buying a car - it was a complete nail. I'm no mechanic, so couldn't do anything to mend it myself, and I certainly couldn't afford to pay to have the work done, so I had to sell it after a few weeks for barely half of what I'd paid for it.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Back in the days before mortgages and Mrs.Wunt be druv,I owned a Lancia Delta Integrale(Evo 2),sold it to pay deposit on my first home,gutted and still dream of this car today.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not yet, no.

I've always wanted a VW T2 split screen with safari windows, ideally in Albion-ish blue and white.

For a decent one nowadays, it will be the best part of £30k.

View attachment 62589

Bozza,I sold one of these about three years ago.
Good condition and great fun,but we didn't use it enough to justify keeping.
If you are interested,keep an eye on the VWSplit Screen Van Club forum!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Amongst others,I have had a 1968 MGC convertible modified with triple SU carbs, a 1963 VW Split -Screen Camper Van, Wrangler Jeep, 1968 Daimler V8 (like a Mark 2 Jag), 1964 Rover 110 and a Beetle.
I was lucky enough to have company cars during this time,for my sensible car!
First car was an Austin A40 and I now drive an XJ Jag
Would love one of those little Bentley jobs that a lot of PL players seemed to have at one time.It ain't going to happen though!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I did, briefly. In the 1970's I bought a lovely red MGB. Unfortunately though, it was the only time I really got done over when buying a car - it was a complete nail. I'm no mechanic, so couldn't do anything to mend it myself, and I certainly couldn't afford to pay to have the work done, so I had to sell it after a few weeks for barely half of what I'd paid for it.

I know how you feel. I had a few MGB's ending with a rubber bumper. Great fun but spent more time staring at the engine than driving it, and when it was good i was stopping to pick pieces up from the road behind me.
This is what I did, but don't scoff yet please.
I don't know if you had the MG because it is an English classic or the thrill of driving a cheapish convertible but I replaced mine with a well looked after, British made, British racing green, 1800cc Mazda MX5 mark 1 (pop up headlights) and although far from my dream car what a car it is.
Reliable, rust free (ish) economical, fast and the many spare partd you can buy will make it look and drive even better.
Most of the Mk 1 is still used on the brilliant latest model.
This car will be the MGB of the future for all classic convertible enthusiasts.
There are others like Honda RS2000 and Porsche Boxter but not as good in my opinion for having your arse cheeks 6 inches above the ground roof open sunny day B road driving.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I had a ST220 until 6 weeks ago when I swapped it for a VW UP! not as cool but still a lot of fun

Now that was a hidden gem. About 10 years ago i had small kids and was looking for a practical car. I test drove a few estates and they had one of those in Evans Halshaw, so i tried it. Absolutely lovely car, practical and very reasonably priced compared to the equivalent from Jag, Volvo, Merc etc (i'd given up company cars and was paying for it myself !). I ended up keeping it for 5 years and loved it.

Dream car though 2948197.jpg

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
2cv special edition " beachcomber "..........that is my dream car and one day I shall have one !

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I know how you feel. I had a few MGB's ending with a rubber bumper. Great fun but spent more time staring at the engine than driving it, and when it was good i was stopping to pick pieces up from the road behind me.
This is what I did, but don't scoff yet please.
I don't know if you had the MG because it is an English classic or the thrill of driving a cheapish convertible but I replaced mine with a well looked after, British made, British racing green, 1800cc Mazda MX5 mark 1 (pop up headlights) and although far from my dream car what a car it is.
Reliable, rust free (ish) economical, fast and the many spare partd you can buy will make it look and drive even better.
Most of the Mk 1 is still used on the brilliant latest model.
This car will be the MGB of the future for all classic convertible enthusiasts.
There are others like Honda RS2000 and Porsche Boxter but not as good in my opinion for having your arse cheeks 6 inches above the ground roof open sunny day B road driving.

None of the MX-5s are British made I am afraid, they were all made in Japan. Well one was! During the design process Mazda used it's design studios in Japan and California as well as International Automotive Design http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Automotive_Design in Worthing. They designed the suspension and also made the first working mock up, so could have a claim to have made the first MX-5 in Sussex. By the way I had a Harvard Limited Edition, which I bought brand new in 1997, wish I still had it......

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I did own a lotus esprit once but that was always second on my list
My dream car and always has been is an old E-type jag
One day 😉

Today's Bond film reminded how much I loved the look of that one. Could never see the appeal of E Types though. I'd want the impracticality of a little 2 seat convertible, or the practicality of a transit type. The green one posted looks superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here