Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever owned the car of your dreams?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This was my DS23 EFI for 20 years. A Chapron convertible would have been my dream, but don't have 150k!

View attachment 62600

If I went for a "Classic car", this would be it - either that or a Citroen light 15.

I didn't realise until fairly recently that DS, when pronounced a la francaise (Dayess), means Goddess.
And ID (pronounced "eday") would be the French for idea.
And both were deliberate.
I'm a modern languages graduate, so I should have realised years ago!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Early 90's we had a Rover Sterling. My first automatic, air-con, heated leather seats and armrests, all the electronic add-ons you could hope for (phone/sat nab etc)....... Having never been a boy racer it was the perfect grandad car and you could (and we did) cover literally thousands of miles in perfect comfort. Sadly got stolen for parts and burnt out.

Nowadays I guess our van conversion camping-car isvnear perfect in what it allows us to do but we've never matched the feeling of comfort and pure luxury of that Sterling.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
2011_039.jpg

wangeye

Dec 1, 2014
I always wanted a mk1 focus rs then when I got a rare 2004 reg with only 22k on the clock it ruined my life I was obsessed with cleaning the dam thing so glad it went.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
This is my weekend car. I don't think it's the car of my dreams, as I still hanker after a 911. But at least it's the right Marque and probably handles better than a 911 of the same vintage.
2cc1ee35081ed2003149ae23502bdc8f.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Have just been trying to upload a picture of one, and failed miserably.

But we bought early last year a Hymer Classic Motorhome. It's not a car, but we've always wanted one. It's 8 years old, but we love it.

solly

Aug 31, 2005
Yes! Good man. Is it stock or have you tinkered with it? I used to have a '73 in baby blue, Dragstar wheels, slammed front end, 8" steering wheel, T-Bars, it was a wicked little Cal-look. Only ran a 1200cc engine but I went all over the place in it, Big Bang, Bug Freeze, Bug Jam etc...she cost me £250 and the only thing that went wrong was the lead broke off of the battery terminal.

shes pretty much stock jsut the Empi 8 alloys ..... my youngest was offered it, but hsi comment was "it needs an injection of horsepower" heathen little git, so it stays for the grandchildren when they come along ... and I get to enjoy .... her indoorscant criticise me : ) ... thinking about it, its out stayed a few girlfirends

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I've had 3 adults sat in the back, and it's fine for modest journeys, but yes, the rear leather seats are really designed for two.

Yes, VW saw the error of their ways and changed the design recently to having 3 in the back. I just love my CC although the engine collapsed on me after 48k when the timing chain broke and mashed up the engine. VW paid £3.5k for a new one but it cost me a couple of grand in labour. It was worth it. Probably not the car of my dreams, but comes close.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have a very quick Cooper S, but I'd really like one of these!

I absolutely LOVE my Cooper S, I've been wanting one for years so I guess it is one of my dream cars. I've got a 2004 model with the super-charger, there's nothing quite like the noise it makes when you put your foot down. I'd love to have a go in the latest version with a fair bit more horse-power, I don't reckon it would sound as good though.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I absolutely LOVE my Cooper S, I've been wanting one for years so I guess it is one of my dream cars. I've got a 2004 model with the super-charger, there's nothing quite like the noise it makes when you put your foot down. I'd love to have a go in the latest version with a fair bit more horse-power, I don't reckon it would sound as good though.

I have a 2007 Cooper S, with a turbo rather than a supercharger.

image.jpg

I don't like the design of the latest Gen 3 Mini; in fact I think it's quite ugly. My next car will be a JCW or a GP (if I win the lottery!)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, VW saw the error of their ways and changed the design recently to having 3 in the back. I just love my CC although the engine collapsed on me after 48k when the timing chain broke and mashed up the engine. VW paid £3.5k for a new one but it cost me a couple of grand in labour. It was worth it. Probably not the car of my dreams, but comes close.

Happily mine is a company car, so apart from the big pound of flesh the taxman takes for the privilege, none of the costs fall to me. Just as well - cost £500 for two TYRES recently! Ridiculous.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Happily mine is a company car, so apart from the big pound of flesh the taxman takes for the privilege, none of the costs fall to me. Just as well - cost £500 for two TYRES recently! Ridiculous.

Tell me about it, I've spent £750 on tyres since July including TWO punctures on the SAME wheel (I'd never had a puncture before on any car before that).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Replaced two yesterday at Fields for £300 which was £75 cheaper than two similar tyres bought from them two years ago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

£250 a tyre? I'm in the wrong business.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Yes recently bought a 2nd hand Audi S4 Avant 4.2 V8 and loving it - would like a '65- '66 Mustang convertible but that doesn't seem to matter so much at present !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here