Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have You Ever Been To A Reunion?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd say it depends what it's a reunion of and who's behind it.

Every year for the last 12 or so years we have had a reunion kickabout of our old college football team. Half an hour each way then we repair to a pub we often used to frequent for a couple of hours or more. Second generation players now come along and play too. It's brilliant and always one of the highlights of the year. But of course, we're with friends, we organise it ourselves, and certain people are definitely not invited.

Official reunions are another matter. I've been to a few of those and they've been big enough to avoid anyone you didn't want to meet. The fact that I've never been invited to a school reunion suggests that I might be one of those people ...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A bit like Facebook (and FriendsReunited before that), people seem to split into either:

Those keen to turn back the clock and reminisce about the past, who look forward to such events. Or those hoping to boast about how much money they've made.

Then a quiet majority who want to forget about school and their ex-peers, either because they were lonely and/or bullied there, or have moved onwards and upwards socially and the last thing they want to do is see those old faces.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd rather chew my arm off than talk to old Vardinians about what I am up to now and then pretend to give a shit about them. If I wanted to stay in contact I would have done.

Don't think that's quite true. Back in the days before mobiles and social media, it wasn't easy to stay in touch with people. I still have a handful of friends from Varndean (one of whom posts on here) but there were a lot of people that weren't close friends but with whom I got on well, I would be interested in knowing what they were doing.

Having said that, there's an OV reunion every year and I've never been. If it were year-specific I may be interested but I'd have nothing in common with people who were there in the 50s or early 60s

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I haven't any interest in school reunions, but have been to several forces reunions and one work reunion. The work one was fairly good but I won't be repeating it.
The forces reunions are great and annual.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have been to a number of reunions and thoroughly enjoyed them all. School reunions (first one was 20 years after we left), and reunions of staff of former employers.

Great fun. Go!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
One thing I do recommend - reunions are much much better without wives/husbands/partners who know no one, hang on to you, and who you keep having to introduce to people whose names you can't remember!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One thing I do recommend - reunions are much much better without wives/husbands/partners who know no one, hang on to you, and who you keep having to introduce to people whose names you can't remember!

Oh God, yes. Correct. Awkward for you and awkward and boring for them. A few other halves turned up at our old school one, but they all ended up leaving early (early being relative, we were still in the bar at 4.30am)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not so much a reunion but I went to my old junior schools Centenary open day 2 years ago, the school was open all day and it was great looking round the old place.
I saw a few people that I hadn't seen for a while but no one that I hadn't seen since my school days.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I go to reunions for my 1958 Royal Navy ship HMS Alert 3 times a year at Arundel...not many of us left now but it is good to see how they progress through life.
Also been to a school reunion at Queens Park...not for myself but for my grandfather who got killed at the 2nd battle of the Somme and is mentioned on the school war memorial.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Never have, dont know if i ever will, kept in contact with the few i wanted to.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I've just this week, had a facebook message out of the blue, from my first real girlfriend, who I've not seen in 15 years, inviting me to a Hove Park School one.

She's really quite lovely, but I won't be going.
It's the Hove Park reunion I was talking about! :lolol:

Jul 7, 2003
Went to a Bonkers Showbar Tenerife reunion in 1988 if that counts. Someone organised a school one about 10 years ago and about a dozen people turned up. I'm not on Facebook so don't get pestered by these things as the only people at school who I want to keep in touch with I do already. Work retirement / leaving parties are the closest I get to reunions - that and funerals which, as you get older, are something that you seem to attend far too often.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Don't think that's quite true. Back in the days before mobiles and social media, it wasn't easy to stay in touch with people. I still have a handful of friends from Varndean (one of whom posts on here) but there were a lot of people that weren't close friends but with whom I got on well, I would be interested in knowing what they were doing.

Having said that, there's an OV reunion every year and I've never been. If it were year-specific I may be interested but I'd have nothing in common with people who were there in the 50s or early 60s

I left in 91 and still see people (well, a couple) from school. As you say it's much easier now to keep in touch but we have evolved from landline, mobile etc as we've wanted to stay in touch. I am wracking my brains and I can't think of a single other person who i would want to catch up with. I have filed them all in the mental dustbin.

There are a couple of fit birds from uni mind. Not sure the wife would approve though.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Marcella: You know, when you started getting invited to your ten year high school reunion, time is catching up.
Martin Q. Blank: Are you talking about a sense of my own mortality or a fear of death?
Marcella: Well, I never really thought about it quite like that.
Martin Q. Blank: Did you go to yours?
Marcella: Yes, I did. It was just as if everyone had swelled.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Went to an old school reunion when we had all reached 50...so most there I had not seen for 30+ years.....observations....
1) Some had not moved away from the area, kept in touch and were in a comfortable gaggle, eyeing everyone who came in and saying.." who's that "
2) Some of us were wandering about like lost sheep, thinking..." shit this is a mistake, I feel uncomfortable here "
3) Some seemed desperate to meet anyone who had high achieved. There was one guy who had made it big in the city through finance and restaurants and a lot of the women kept asking..." is Ian here yet, is Ian coming today? "
4) An individual approached me and said did I recognise the man sitting alone in the corner. I replied negatively, was told his name, which I then knew and went over for a chat. Best chat of the night. Intelligent, quiet, unassuming man...wing commander...in charge of one of the most strategically important strike command bases in the UK...his finger on the button etc.
5) Some of the men were still clearly attracted to the women they had fancied or gone out with at school..." look at so and so, she's still gorgeous " etc etc.
6) It was clear, that to some, school was the best years of their life. They were slavering over old timetables, exam results and photographs. They were keen to meet any teachers that turned up. For me, it was all instantly forgettable. I didn't really enjoy school, only sport and girls. I went to meet 3 old pals that I had knocked about with for 4-5 years after school finished and before careers and women took us on different paths. ( Only two turned up )
7) Finished the evening walking back in the direction of the station with one such old pal. He gave me his details and I said..." How long is it since we last had contact with each other...25 years?...no phone calls, no Xmas cards, nothing. There is a reason for that. We've drifted apart, got new families and friends. We've moved on. Its been great seeing you and catching up on old times but I'm not going to make any idle promises to get in touch. If it happens great but the odds are, it won't. He agreed. We shook hands and went our separate ways. Nearly ten years on and neither of us have been in contact. Its no surprise. You shouldn't be looking to turn the clock back. Life is the present and future. It was great meeting the two of them but it didn't give me any burning desire to rekindle old friendships.
8)The list of those no longer with us was disturbing and as a previous poster said..we all think we are immortal and then when you find that a number of your peer group haven't even made 50, it does make you stop and think. Ten years on, I guess that list has grown a fair bit longer.
9) It was an interesting experience but one that I won't be repeating, unlike some there who were desperate for more reunions. I guess you either move on in life or you don't. For those hankering to recapture their schooldays fair enough but its not for me.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Had a BHASVIC reunion from the final school intake a few years ago, and was surprised at how people had not changed. Worst thing was seeing whom amongst my former classmates had died in the interim period, you take it for granted that you're all immortal at times.

I'm going a bit off topic now but I was in the last grammar school year. Was in upper sixth when they let the girls into lower sixth (Sept '75). Might we know each other from those heady days that we thought would never end?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
We had a 10 year reunion back in 2002 but none since. I think Facebook has probably negated the need?
Have to say though that the 2002 night was superb. Well over 100 attendees and a great night had by all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here