Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Have we been ripped off?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I wonder if he used tanking slurry ? what are the gutters made of ? iron?

I'f theyre just plastic you could have replaced them all with new for £500 and had change for a Left back.

the gutter will have an end cap ( £5) which just clicks on . . . .

if he's tried to stop a leak in a join . . . silicone sealant (£12) or flash band (£20 a roll) would possibly do it . . . .

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Probably Dicht Fix, waterproof tar-type paint that seals joints even under water, or similar.
German product but you can buy a tin on Amazon or E-Bay for £12/ £13 a tin.
Ask him what hes used, and refuse to pay if its leaking on the downpipe, hes ripping the arse out of you.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Does anyone know what the special German stuff might be? There was reference to a "chemical reaction" and it "going off" so I admit I was a bit blinded by science...

And if that is the case, and he has advised you there could be a chemical reaction while this stuff goes off, I am presuming he told you how long ?
And if so he being a diligent person, working outdoors on roofs etc would naturally be aware of any impending bad weather and what this may entail to the product he is using.

In short you could get out of it, if he as knew (like everyone) that a storm was coming and it was not a good time to do it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Mrs G arranged for our local friendly builder/roofer to come and fix the gutter that runs between our house and conservatory.

One bloke came and worked for 90mins. He swept out the gutter and then “painted” it with some stuff he mixed up in a large bucket. A young lad carried a couple of things and watched.

£700.

Apparently the main cost was the stuff that he poured in/painted on... it “comes from Germany and costs £500”...

Am I right in smelling a Siberian hamster? Or does this sound legit?

ALL advice very welcome.

Was expecting another Locadia thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Having agreed to pay £700 do we still have the right (moral? legal?) to question it after the work has been done? The bloke who runs the small firm is not easy to deal with (Yes! We've used them before...!! They paint some stuff on our chimney every other year for a few hundred quid...) but is it reasonable to ask for an itemised bill before paying? I'm not sure how he'll react...

I also have the problem that during the rain last night the water was gushing out of the end of the gutter and then even when it eased off it's running down the side of the vertical drainpipe rather than going into it... so I have to try and get them to fix that before I pay them.

Why is he happy to use a supper expensive sealant on a valley gutter but not on your chimney? Not that it is super expensive, but Stormdry Masonry Protection Cream is breathable, water repellent cream for brickwork and masonry, BBA approved, 25 year protection when applied correctly. Yes it costs £120 for 5L, but it is a once in 25 year job, and much better product than your typical waterseal stuff.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This........assume you haven't been able to find anything online when searching for 'Magic German Gutter Sealant' or similar

Five minute job :thumbsup:

1ac39979b29c9975c0281af8ec1e6833.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I wonder if he used tanking slurry ? what are the gutters made of ? iron?

I'f theyre just plastic you could have replaced them all with new for £500 and had change for a Left back.

the gutter will have an end cap ( £5) which just clicks on . . . .

if he's tried to stop a leak in a join . . . silicone sealant (£12) or flash band (£20 a roll) would possibly do it . . . .
Just the one plastic horizontal gutter. Problem was water lying in it which was worrying Mrs G as it could lead to triffids invading the conservatory. Replacing the gutter would have been a much bigger and more expensive job according to FLB/R.

The magical German substance was needed to "fill" the gutter somehow and somehow strengthen it or reorientate it so that the water would flow to the down pipe at the end...?

The nice added detail is that the gutter could not be accessed without temporarily removing 6 of the roof panels from the conservatory. Mrs G managed to negotiate the nice man at our friendly local windows company down to only £540 for his 2 hours work. On reflection, given the absence of any mystery continental material costs, that seems a bit on the high side too...? (is [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] onto something...?)

SAC

May 21, 2014
Sorry but it's called an idiot tax. You should have questioned it before they started the work. Get him to fix the problem then pay him. Next time, get more than one quote and find out if you really need you chimney painted every year. And, don't use a company called "I Saw You Coming".

Totally unrelated, I have some magic beans for sale if you are interested?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Next time I’m round your way, gimme a shout.
I’ve got some top notch magic beans

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Having agreed to pay £700 do we still have the right (moral? legal?) to question it after the work has been done? The bloke who runs the small firm is not easy to deal with (Yes! We've used them before...!! They paint some stuff on our chimney every other year for a few hundred quid...) but is it reasonable to ask for an itemised bill before paying? I'm not sure how he'll react...

I also have the problem that during the rain last night the water was gushing out of the end of the gutter and then even when it eased off it's running down the side of the vertical drainpipe rather than going into it... so I have to try and get them to fix that before I pay them.

Seems to me like you are a cash cow for him.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Pretty sure I got quoted £100 for the same kind of job and then the second guy did it for £35. Minus the strange German substance. (In Hastings).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sorry but it's called an idiot tax. You should have questioned it before they started the work. Get him to fix the problem then pay him. Next time, get more than one quote and find out if you really need you chimney painted every year. And, don't use a company called "I Saw You Coming".

Totally unrelated, I have some magic beans for sale if you are interested?
How much? Are they German?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Just the one plastic horizontal gutter. Problem was water lying in it which was worrying Mrs G as it could lead to triffids invading the conservatory. Replacing the gutter would have been a much bigger and more expensive job according to FLB/R.

The magical German substance was needed to "fill" the gutter somehow and somehow strengthen it or reorientate it so that the water would flow to the down pipe at the end...?

The nice added detail is that the gutter could not be accessed without temporarily removing 6 of the roof panels from the conservatory. Mrs G managed to negotiate the nice man at our friendly local windows company down to only £540 for his 2 hours work. On reflection, given the absence of any mystery continental material costs, that seems a bit on the high side too...? (is [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] onto something...?)

Photo?

Are you saying there's an inaccessible gutter, over the conservatory?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
If it helps: I'm having all the gutters and downpipes replaced in my detached 4 bed house, by a reputable builder (who coincidentally lives 2 doors away from me).

Total quoted cost £700. He's recently built his own extension and replaced his own gutters so he knows how much work it'll take.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here