Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Have we been ripped off?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
He's milking you like a field of prime Jerseys. I replaced my whole roof for £1500. And guttering is cheap as chips. Whilst liquid plastic based waterproofing products are costly, he's hardly covered the roof of the Amex. As for annual repairs on a chimney, he should be doing that once with a ten/fifteen years guarantee.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
KoverTek TekPur Polyurethane System (2k) for £227 ...? Is it possible that he used two tubs of this stuff and the job cost is entirely justified...?

bit of an OTT product to use, might have had some left over from building an aircraft carrier?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just the one plastic horizontal gutter. Problem was water lying in it which was worrying Mrs G as it could lead to triffids invading the conservatory. Replacing the gutter would have been a much bigger and more expensive job according to FLB/R.

The magical German substance was needed to "fill" the gutter somehow and somehow strengthen it or reorientate it so that the water would flow to the down pipe at the end...?

The nice added detail is that the gutter could not be accessed without temporarily removing 6 of the roof panels from the conservatory. Mrs G managed to negotiate the nice man at our friendly local windows company down to only £540 for his 2 hours work. On reflection, given the absence of any mystery continental material costs, that seems a bit on the high side too...? (is [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] onto something...?)

Half round plaster gutter fixing brackets: £0.82 each
3m length of half round gutter: £5.28 each
Half round union bracket: £1.89 each
Half round end stop: £1.59 each
Pack of suitable screws: £1

If they were able to access and repair the existing in under 2 hours, can't see why taking the old off and replacing, potentially with a bit more fall on the gutter would have been an issue.

Sometimes you have to accept that coming out to do a small job is a pain and there is a bit of cost in time to get there etc. but yeah, £540 to take some glass out seems very high too, I'd expect replacement units to be fitted for that sort of money.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If it helps: I'm having all the gutters and downpipes replaced in my detached 4 bed house, by a reputable builder (who coincidentally lives 2 doors away from me).

Total quoted cost £700. He's recently built his own extension and replaced his own gutters so he knows how much work it'll take.
But is one of your gutters fiendishly inaccessible and impossible to replace without major accompanying building work?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
KoverTek TekPur Polyurethane System (2k) for £227 ...? Is it possible that he used two tubs of this stuff and the job cost is entirely justified...?

It says 1.5 - 2 kg of the stuff per square meter of coverage. That tub is 15.5kg, so should do 7 sq m or so. That is a lot of gutters!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Laad flashing to the back of the house and a plastic gutter on the back of the conservatory roof? under the lead. Sounds like the problem is the fall of the gutter, hence ponding? If that's the case, has it moved ? or was it never right ? assuming its not leaking, will it drain both ends ? It doesn't sound like the addition of any sort of goo will fix the problem if its not actually leaking?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Having agreed to pay £700 do we still have the right (moral? legal?) to question it after the work has been done? .

well thats a different question. if you've asked for something done, agreed a price and its done, how its done is upto them.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sometimes you have to accept that coming out to do a small job is a pain and there is a bit of cost in time to get there etc. but yeah, £540 to take some glass out seems very high too, I'd expect replacement units to be fitted for that sort of money.
Yes (joking aside) we were advised that as it was "two visits" we effectively needed to pay for a day's labour - which I guess is what the cost works out to. We got a second quote from another windows company to do the same job and they wanted a lot more money.

Crazy times - but, with no holidays for two years now, people are obviously spending on their houses and market forces are doing their stuff in regard to prices...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes (joking aside) we were advised that as it was "two visits" we effectively needed to pay for a day's labour - which I guess is what the cost works out to. We got a second quote from another windows company to do the same job and they wanted a lot more money.

Crazy times - but, with no holidays for two years now, people are obviously spending on their houses and market forces are doing their stuff in regard to prices...

2 guys, 2 trips, travel, risk management (I know I know, but they should be...), potential the units are difficult to get in or out, so can see that isn't altogether unreasonable.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
2 guys, 2 trips, travel, risk management (I know I know, but they should be...), potential the units are difficult to get in or out, so can see that isn't altogether unreasonable.
TBF, a bloke managed to do it on his own but I can see why the job cost would normally allow for needing two workers...

Update on gutter/drainpipe is that I phoned friendly local builder/roofer and he was surprisingly pleasant. He said the downpipe must be blocked and they will come and "rod it" for us tomorrow morning.

We are clearly valued customers.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
TBF, a bloke managed to do it on his own but I can see why the job cost would normally allow for needing two workers...

Update on gutter/drainpipe is that I phoned friendly local builder/roofer and he was surprisingly pleasant. He said the downpipe must be blocked and they will come and "rod it" for us tomorrow morning.

Better get about £300 out of the ATM ready :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Obviously, he knows how to look after you cos he has you down as a soft touch.
A £40 tin of Ever Cryl would of sealed any joints and just clean out the guttering of any leaves, moss etc.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have you been ripped off? - almost certainly yes.
Do you have to pay £700? - no, but it's not worth the aggro and the legal costs not to.

Next time (for any building or maintenance work) get a quote in writing first. Here endeth the lesson .................. learn it well. You're paying £700 for it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Stand by for a quote to dig a new soakaway when the pipe is shown to be clear. Never heard of rodding a down pipe. :)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think you possibly have been ripped off. Did you do due dilligence on the business first? An online search will usually throw up if others have been ripped off or have been disatisfied with the work.

You don't have to pay. You can pay what you think it's worth and let him sue you for the rest. You might have a problem if your wife entered into a written contract for the price quoted.

If the work is defective as you suggest, you must give the trader the opportunity to put it right. Of course, all communication should be in writing from now on.

If you are going to let him sue you I would recommend getting a reputable building firm in to check the work and if it is defective or you were over-charged for the work, get them to give you a written report to aid your defence. I would certainly be inclined to contact Trading Standards to report the trader. For some reason, Trading Standards now hide behind the CAB; I'm not sure you can contact Trading Standards directly any longer - but I could be wrong.

At least name & shame the trader here so at least your NSC brothers & sisters in arms can steer well clear.

good luck.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Does anyone know what the special German stuff might be? There was reference to a "chemical reaction" and it "going off" so I admit I was a bit blinded by science...

3F82A9CB-7D5F-46FD-BD87-04C698FD5AFC.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here