Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have ultras, vloggers and CCTV killed football fashion?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No, just bored of blokes in their 50s and 60s imagining that being a "Casual" was something interesting...
I remember getting to Ipswich late in 1976 because my mum was still do my 32 stitch inside turn up on my Brutus jeans…..
I’m very sorry but it really did matter

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember getting to Ipswich late in 1976 because my mum was still do my 32 stitch inside turn up on my Brutus jeans…..
I’m very sorry but it really did matter
Then it was Farah slacks.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Then it was Farah slacks.
When platforms were in in the early 70.’s I went into battle with a Watford fan once and I was 6ft 10in…. I’m normally 6ft 4in. Very difficult to fight on stilts

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
How about some of these bad boys!! I remember when Chelsea came down in 73 in the FA Cup, some of their fans were wearing butchers coats like these. Who remembers this fashion statement. Who wore the one from the BHA museum.
I recall white Lab coats were a thing for a while - probably inspired by the film Clockwork Orange. Then of course in the late 60s early 70s there were the crombies, ‘arry’ jackets, DM boots, brutus and Ben Sherman and Fred Perry shirts, turn up Levi’s ( held up with braces), royals, loafers, Prince of Wales check, stay press and 2 tone trousers. And if you wanted to smell nice it had to be Brut after shave.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, just bored of blokes in their 50s and 60s imagining that being a "Casual" was something interesting...
It’s another youth culture and there are kids today 16-24 still into the idea. I just think the clothes today are a lot more homogeneous.

In my day football lads were at raves and indie gigs whereas now many want to protect monuments. Why’s that?

And it’s a look many “normal” celebs are into. Three star chef Simon Rogan wears Stone Island. DJs Andy Weatherall (RIP) and Terry Farley were / are incredibly well dressed and also involved in Boys Own that used to rip the piss out of homophobic Millwall fans.

The point of the thread is actually that the original Casual Look book is fascinating but now you’d need three pages - The Gillet, The Clone Island and Burberry and the black hooded anorak.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It wasn’t the book itself it was that he had photos of certain incidents still at his home when the police raided after Leeds. Nice lad actually, known him a long time.
LB? Went to school with him. Great lad.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Potters near St Peter’s Church was the best place for these, a few years before they did a roaring trade in Harrington jackets and sta pressed trousers.
Memory is getting hazy, but I think Colt's in the lower part of the old Churchill Square sold me a pair of Farah slacks, circa 1985.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Memory is getting hazy, but I think Colt's in the lower part of the old Churchill Square sold me a pair of Farah slacks, circa 1985.
I remember the shop but don’t think I went there.
There was a golf shop in Lewes Road opposite Preston Barracks that sold Farah trousers but the Potters were cheaper and the trousers seemed to be a better fit for some reason.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I remember the shop but don’t think I went there.
There was a golf shop in Lewes Road opposite Preston Barracks that sold Farah trousers but the Potters were cheaper and the trousers seemed to be a better fit for some reason.
The Golf Shop on Lewes Road is where I got my first Lyle & Scott jumper. Lambswool and blue, IIRC.

Can't remember if 'strip at The Ship' was going on nearby :)

Happy days.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes but is it a vintage Mountain Warehouse🤔🤣
:lolol:
Look at the logo, very similar to some of the original Stone Island stuff.
IMG_1293.jpeg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The Golf Shop on Lewes Road is where I got my first Lyle & Scott jumper. Lambswool and blue, IIRC.

Can't remember if 'strip at The Ship' was going on nearby :)

Happy days.
The shop got robbed of all the jumpers, I believe some lads went in through the roof, not sure if they got caught.

I lived nearby and definitely remember The Ship :wink:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here