Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have ultras, vloggers and CCTV killed football fashion?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One thing I noticed straight away at the ArenA was the banner “Amsterdam Casuals” and yet behind that goal everyone was in black. It’s the same in these March to ground videos or where there’s a bit of hold me back dancing - black coat, hood up, presumably to make it harder to be IDed in a video.

Meanwhile, in England, the only brand worn is Stone Island. Years ago it was rarer and they did better clothes. Now everyone’s getting the badge in and a lot of it is the starter range or just snide.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, football and casual fashion seemed a lot more diverse. Bright coloured jumpers, tracky tops, Lois cords and kickers morphed into stuff like C17 and Chevignon. When raves and bands like the Mondays came out suddenly a lot of Joe Bloggs flares, band T-shirts and hoodies. Way more diverse but you could always tell a football fan.

Has it changed into ‘look at me but don’t look at me’?

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The sense I get from a lot of the Stone Island and all-in-black is that they see it as shorthand for proppa nawty while really, from the vast majority, it's an impression they want to give rather than the reality. Because there's much less nawtyness with which to build a reputation the need for a shorthand and uniform is greater than before for those who feel the need to be seen as edgy and dangerous. As a consequence the variety of clothing has diminished dramatically among a significant demographic of football attendees.

There's probably a correlation over the past few decades between decreasing incidents of nawtyness and increasing wearing of the nawty uniform.

For some of us who are older though it's all about comfort these days!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The goons behind the “No face no case” movement would do well to actually meet the threshold of a case rather than bounce around.

Considering the actual cost of Stone Island, CP company, etc you have to also assume most of it is snide as getting the badge in whilst also wearing track suit bottoms really isn’t the look.

I’m hoping the club redesign the shocking non Nike clobber in the club shop, Tone Island, PB Company anyone?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
There's a very good book written by @Taybha about the casual look, I've not quite been inspired to dress like Compo to go to the football but he's your man for all things ultra casual related :hilton:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Was a great casual shop in the dam ,but shock horror mainly stone island zzzzz

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I maybe outta the loop somewhat regarding fashion, but to me it seems there is no fashion trend anymore full stop.
The tribes and youth cults have amalgamated and anything goes, the last trend I recall was the hipster look.
Sometimes I double take in Brighton at students in flares and the whole 70s look, thinking really! That was such a terrible look, worse still is 40/50 year olds in skinny jeans, come on…

The black/stone island thing is yes a nod to the European football look, it’s ok, 100 of them is in no way as threatening as 7 bleached jeans, shaven headed skinheads walking towards you, so I don’t see the point.

Im just old.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
There's some very iffy Brighton and Sheffield Utd casuals in this photo,the Movember charity must have made a fortune in the 80s

69945-fa97760296a5c9195ed6f397edbb4244.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
One thing I noticed straight away at the ArenA was the banner “Amsterdam Casuals” and yet behind that goal everyone was in black. It’s the same in these March to ground videos or where there’s a bit of hold me back dancing - black coat, hood up, presumably to make it harder to be IDed in a video.

Meanwhile, in England, the only brand worn is Stone Island. Years ago it was rarer and they did better clothes. Now everyone’s getting the badge in and a lot of it is the starter range or just snide.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, football and casual fashion seemed a lot more diverse. Bright coloured jumpers, tracky tops, Lois cords and kickers morphed into stuff like C17 and Chevignon. When raves and bands like the Mondays came out suddenly a lot of Joe Bloggs flares, band T-shirts and hoodies. Way more diverse but you could always tell a football fan.

It is almost like a lot of people are cosplaying at being Ultras

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I like stone island but you can tell by what the person looks like if it’s fake. I don’t like the foreign fashion of all getting together to put on a show with man at front with megaphone. It seems, and I hope I get this gets past admin, a bit “gay”. And us english can’t organise a line for the urinal let alone 200 chanting down a street in the same colour clothes.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I like stone island but you can tell by what the person looks like if it’s fake. I don’t like the foreign fashion of all getting together to put on a show with man at front with megaphone. It seems, and I hope I get this gets past admin, a bit “gay”. And us english can’t organise a line for the urinal let alone 200 chanting down a street in the same colour clothes.

Why not just say lame or crap rather than gay? Seems completely unnecessary.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I maybe outta the loop somewhat regarding fashion, but to me it seems there is no fashion trend anymore full stop.
The tribes and youth cults have amalgamated and anything goes, the last trend I recall was the hipster look.
Sometimes I double take in Brighton at students in flares and the whole 70s look, thinking really! That was such a terrible look, worse still is 40/50 year olds in skinny jeans, come on…

The black/stone island thing is yes a nod to the European football look, it’s ok, 100 of them is in no way as threatening as 7 bleached jeans, shaven headed skinheads walking towards you, so I don’t see the point.

Im just old.
Correct. I think youth trend, as a monoculture, died out in around 1973. At that time things split into different looks, some being hobbies and some tribes.

I'm of a pre-fashion era. Ted mod and skin in the 50s and 60s were not 'fashions' at their core but lifestyles. As was, later, punk. None of these are 'football fashions'.

Personally I could not accept taking a style (let alone a lifestyle) from what I saw on the terraces, but maybe that's because I bypoassed the casual era. That, or I thought it was a bit wanky.

Badly done 'Bowie' cuts. Scarf on wrist. General scruffiness. Or naffness. The appropriation of Sta Press (especially tonic) and DMs came in the early 70s. After that, my style was not football generated, and I regarded all the tomfoolery with disdain.

By the time I hit 40 an the late 90s, I'd missed all of what most of this thread is likely on about. So I'm quite interesting in learning about how football casuals during that time (1988-2000) invented something commendable (that did not require at least one fight a week).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

30 year ago I used to go to matches in flat cap and lumber jacket. I still have a flat cap and similar attire that is brought out. I think football fashion passed me by.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's some very iffy Brighton and Sheffield Utd casuals in this photo,the Movember charity must have made a fortune in the 80s

View attachment 169633
Compared with what was going on in the alternative music scene, this lot look like they were dressed by their mum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here