Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have the plastic fans taken over this club

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think both sides have a point here. On the one hand it's clearly ridiculous to expect only 'died in the wool' lifelong Brighton fans in the ground. Everyone has to start somewhere and today's JCL's/Plastics will become a generation of 'proper' fans over time. However, I do cringe at things like the mexican wave, the moaning about queues, choice of pie etc, those who are already planning their day out at Wembley etc etc.

But most of those are just because times have changed and what it means to be a fan have changed with it. If it were up to me I would go back to the 80's football experience in a heartbeat with all that comes with it, but it isn't up to me and I welcome all new fans and hope/trust that over time they will find a true passion for the club like the rest of us have...

Just lose the bloody Mexican wave eh? :sick:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As long as these "plastic" fans can fit 7 syllables into a space for 4 during tonight's (hopefully) hour long rendition of the Wembley song, then they will have passed the test and should no longer be termed plastic. :thumbsup:

this sort of sentiment is the reason I can't be arsed with nsc mostly nowadays. we had a crap atmosphere at withdean almost always. the atmosphere at the goldstone from 81 onwards was crap, except for the north stand. now we have a huge and full ground, that on big match days absolutely rocks! half the people i go with are from other towns originally and brighton is their second team. that is to be celebrated. when I lived in london if I couldn't go to the priestfield I would go and watch wimbledon or fulham, it's the same principle. you want to support the local team. it's hardly like the new fans are keeping the diehards out is it? the queue for season tickets isn't that long that died in the wool albion fans are denied a seat. there are definitely some quiet games at the amex when I wish there was more singing, but hey ho, a lot of the newbies don't know the old songs. The newbies bring their kids, their kids become the new diehard fans. What's to moan about? Except for a few sad sacks that feel they don't feel as important aas they once did.

Awesome post. Any true fan knows that we need ALL fans to move to the next level. Without these fans we would not be in the position we find ourselves in today. Those of us who were there in the past can reflect on where we came from with an angle that not all fans can, but that doesn't take away from the real feeling of excitement that this club is generating right here, right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here