Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Albion progressed this season?

Have Albion made positive progress this season?

• Yep - we've moved forward

Votes: 443 89.0%
  • No - we're treading water

Votes: 54 10.8%
  • No - we've regressed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
...only if you have a single measure of performance assessment. To use your big company analogy, that’s pretty unlikely to be the case for any organisation.

I agree. But the OP was pretty clear:

There's a host of different ways to measure progress, so use whatever measure(s) you feel appropriate. I also appreciate this season is not over yet.

Have Albion made positive progress this season?

Win two of our four remaining games and I have egg all over my face (and I won't care because the progress I crave will have been achieved). Surely that's WAY more satisfying than possession stats or xG?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sort of.

14th or better represents a measurable improvement as does any points haul over 41. But we ain't there yet. It's why maliciously bouncing threads or offering olive branches before anything is done and dusted is pointless. If we beat 41 points or finish above 15th I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say we've really succeeded and succeeded by an indisputable measure. But we could still finish 17th on 37 (we've not exactly got "easy" games left but then we've done better against the not so easy opponents). Let's just see.
Exactly, those who have been more cautious about Potter and results and especially after a loss get told it’s a long term project and not look at short term results. Funnily enough when the team wins we get olive branches, Potters a genius, best Albion manager ever etc etc...If that’s not reactionary I don’t know what is :shrug:

The team has improved no doubt about it until the play gets to the final third then we become hesitantly unpredictable. The argument about a better striker is valid to a point although there are hardly any goals scored from the midfield to help the team which in turn heaps more pressure onto the forwards. Maupay has looked low on confidence in front of goal for a while now with no evidence of improvement. The majority of supporters blame him entirely for our lack of goals which also isn’t helping I genuinely feel for the lad.

To suggest with a shiny new forward we will suddenly propel into the top ten is also a tad reactionary until we can score goals from different areas we will always struggle to an extent. Had we lost to Leeds we would be panicky to say the least so it’s definitely not all roses in the garden just yet. Some improvement this season although nowhere near enough to get carried away.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
We'll have not progressed.

GB I think you may be looking at it from a rather narrow perspective regards progression
I understand your angle about points and league position being a good indicator
But I’m sure you would agree Or maybe not That the squad is progressively improving
As is the playing style As a unit our youngsters are gaining experience and improving overall
Which to me bodes well

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree. But the OP was pretty clear:

Win two of our four remaining games and I have egg all over my face (and I won't care because the progress I crave will have been achieved). Surely that's WAY more satisfying than possession stats or xG?

They wouldn’t be on my list of factors........or if they were, they wouldn’t carry a lot of weight.....

You’re statement kind of validates my thoughts.......whether we’ve progressed or not doesn’t hinge on the 4 remaining games (where we will probably see odd results anyway). The number of points we get of course does depend on those games. If it was simple as being based on number of points, there wouldn’t need to be a thread/question at all as it would be a simple matter of fact

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We're a much better team than last season.

We'll finish above Palace on 42 points :thumbsup:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Exactly, those who have been more cautious about Potter and results and especially after a loss get told it’s a long term project and not look at short term results. Funnily enough when the team wins we get olive branches, Potters a genius, best Albion manager ever etc etc...If that’s not reactionary I don’t know what is :shrug:

The team has improved no doubt about it until the play gets to the final third then we become hesitantly unpredictable. The argument about a better striker is valid to a point although there are hardly any goals scored from the midfield to help the team which in turn heaps more pressure onto the forwards. Maupay has looked low on confidence in front of goal for a while now with no evidence of improvement. The majority of supporters blame him entirely for our lack of goals which also isn’t helping I genuinely feel for the lad.

To suggest with a shiny new forward we will suddenly propel into the top ten is also a tad reactionary until we can score goals from different areas we will always struggle to an extent. Had we lost to Leeds we would be panicky to say the least so it’s definitely not all roses in the garden just yet. Some improvement this season although nowhere near enough to get carried away.

Agreed more goal s from around the team are definitely required
But overall an improvement rather than a regression

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Don’t think too many are getting carried away, but I don’t agree that getting less than 41 points means no progression (and neither do you......)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
GB I think you may be looking at it from a rather narrow perspective regards progression
I understand your angle about points and league position being a good indicator
But I’m sure you would agree Or maybe not That the squad is progressively improving
As is the playing style As a unit our youngsters are gaining experience and improving overall
Which to me bodes well

Again yes-ish.

What we have is potential. Better playing style and better players should equal better results or what's the point? If that turns up next season then happy days. But this season we've only really needed to focus on 14th to 17th when looking at the table.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Screenshot_20210502_161139_com.android.chrome_edit_64038666265228.jpg

I was wondering if the poll or NSC was broken. Only 11% treading water and ZERO % regression.

Then I caught up with the thread and relaxed. The normal minority of posters spouting their biased crap in a last gasp desperate bid to remain 'right' despite all evidence to the contrary.

Great to see that almost 90%of fans are able to see the truth when it slaps them in the face (or on the pitch).

Looking forward to getting back to the Amex next season.

UTA.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In general, the mood music surrounding the answer to a question like this is often very much dependent on the latest performance and result.

Yes, I can see a positive shift in the centre of gravity; however ask this question in the aftermarth of a very assured 2-0 victory over Leeds and the general sense of satisfaction with overall progress will be a good deal higher than if we had just stunk out Bramall Lane and lost one nil to the worst PL side in recent memory. And that was only 8 days ago.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Shame that some of fans still resist praising him...even if the fare on the pitch is a MASSIVE improvement to all but the blinkered or those in denial :shrug:

Get the impression that if next season we yield more wins and finish say 12th, the last remnants of the naysayers will begrudgingly say GP is doing ok. But with some qualifications to that.

A strange state of affairs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
View attachment 136311

I was wondering if the poll or NSC was broken. Only 11% treading water and ZERO % regression.

Then I caught up with the thread and relaxed. The normal minority of posters spouting their biased crap in a last gasp desperate bid to remain 'right' despite all evidence to the contrary.

Great to see that almost 90%of fans are able to see the truth when it slaps them in the face (or on the pitch).

Looking forward to getting back to the Amex next season.

UTA.

Aftertiming again? Or maybe you can let us all know the url of the threads and articles you posted in December pointing out how all this would end?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s absolutely not all about the final league position in a single season for me......there are far more moving parts/other factors to consider. The league position, for example, says nothing about what the next set of talent emerging from the academy is like, how the U23s have performed, how our loanees are doing etc etc etc. It’s almost as though we have fans that don’t understand ‘long term plan’ or ‘strategy’ :shrug::shrug:

[emoji106]

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
In general, the mood music surrounding the answer to a question like this is often very much dependent on the latest performance and result.

Yes, I can see a positive shift in the centre of gravity; however ask this question in the aftermarth of a very assured 2-0 victory over Leeds and the general sense of satisfaction with overall progress will be a good deal higher than if we had just stunk out Bramall Lane and lost one nil to the worst PL side in recent memory. And that was only 8 days ago.
This, it’s been a frustrating season with a mixed bag of high and low points. It seems we can’t discuss our football team anymore without the constant Potter lovers or haters theme creeping into every thread which is a shame. Progress has been made although we are still very much unpredictable as the last 10 days have shown.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just watching Spurs destroy Sheffield United on MOTD2.

But they're Spurs.

Yeah, we beat Spurs 1-0.

If ever another game summed up our season.......

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
In two thirds of the pitch - huge improvement.

At the sharp end... we’d probably be chasing West Ham if we’d converted 33% of the chances we’ve missed.

May 13, 2013
What a ridiculous post, anybody who doubts we've made any progress this season doesn't understand football. In the 34 yrs I've watched BHA this is easily, by a country mile, the best football we've ever played.

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Aftertiming again? Or maybe you can let us all know the url of the threads and articles you posted in December pointing out how all this would end?

Nah mate, avoided posting in most of the football threads, full of idiots posting crap that's been proven to be totally wrong and still today, despite every indication to the contrary, hold onto their views. Why argue with someone who is so entrenched in their view that they cannot see any other point of view. Got better things to do, like watch my grass grow.

You seem to have taken it personally.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
It’s absolutely not all about the final league position in a single season for me......there are far more moving parts/other factors to consider. The league position, for example, says nothing about what the next set of talent emerging from the academy is like, how the U23s have performed, how our loanees are doing etc etc etc. It’s almost as though we have fans that don’t understand ‘long term plan’ or ‘strategy’ :shrug::shrug:

It isn't solely about the final league position for me either and I appreciate progress isn't always linear.

But Guinness Boy summed it up well, for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here