Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Albion progressed this season?

Have Albion made positive progress this season?

• Yep - we've moved forward

Votes: 443 89.0%
  • No - we're treading water

Votes: 54 10.8%
  • No - we've regressed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

el punal

Voted Treading Water. Can't ALWAYS rely on there being three seriously piss poor teams below us

As it stands there are SIX piss poor teams below us. With a fair wind and a couple of good performances next up it could be EIGHT piss poor teams below us. Still, I suppose we’re pretty good swimmers as we don’t have to tread water for much longer.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Yes. We’re playing much better football™, and even if the points total doesn’t show it, our players are far better quality.

Lots of youngsters coming through. The treadmill is starting to move. And our club is at a better place than last year.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sorry HT, but still looks Emperor's New Clothes to me. Shockingly poor bottom three this season. When the games all play out, we'll prob still end up 16th. If we still end up in that slot next season then the punt on and the cult of Potter will have run its gormless course shirley?

Shockingly poor bottom 3? really?
I assume you mean in comparison to other seasons, as promoted teams will always struggle in either their first or second season.

In 18/19 we were undoubtedly saved by 3 much, much poorer teams.
The Fulham/Cardiff/Huddersfield teams from that season would have given Sheffield Utd a run for bottom place in this season.

This season Fulham have beaten Liverpool, Leicester, Everton, and drawn with Liverpool, Spurs & West Ham.
They are by no means a piss poor side, in comparison to the teams of 18/19.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As it stands there are SIX piss poor teams below us. With a fair wind and a couple of good performances next up it could be EIGHT piss poor teams below us. Still, I suppose we’re pretty good swimmers as we don’t have to tread water for much longer.

You know the three teams, same as we all do. Which is why we'll end up in sixteenth place :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I never cease to be amazed how these polls always end up with a massive majority being positive, yet a noisy minority on these boards continually talk us down!

Sad, really!

Every club has a few entitled fans/fans who can’t admit they were wrong..some are both :shrug:

We are in the best place that this club has ever been, on and off the pitch, FACT, but it’s still a bit shit for some.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
As I said, we need to learn how to unlock stubborn teams, this is all. Defensively we are sound; in fact, how many have we conceded to the 6 teams below us in 12 games? Is it 9? That WBA was a freak game which I’m not too fussed about. Other than this we only lost to Sheffield United. This is poor, but not shockingly poor....shockingly poor would have been losing a few more. Also, does it matter where the points come from?

We need a different set up for these types of matches, ideally with a target man (Mitrovic) supported by two wingers Izzy hopefully being one of the them.

I’m certain we still have enough class to pick up points against the lower teams but need to accept we have to change up based on what’s in front of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, I'd rather have played entertaining and almost entirely attacking football than continue in the style of the departed Hughton (who I have enormous respect and gratitude to). The football we played in the second half of the second season in the PL was inexcusably bad. Football is not only about winning, it is also about style, and for much of this season we have played with much style and panache. I believe this is the best Brighton team ever, at least in my 49 years of watching the club. The team is capable, given that the scoring problem is solved, of achieving a top ten finish next year, I can't wait to see how it pans out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We need a different set up for these types of matches, ideally with a target man (Mitrovic) supported by two wingers Izzy hopefully being one of the them.

I’m certain we still have enough class to pick up points against the lower teams but need to accept we have to change up based on what’s in front of us.

Possibly. Or same set up but the different tactic of drawing them out and then attacking fast on the break.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
100%.

Defensively we are excellent.

Have said it a lot of times but with different forwards we’d be top 10......

This. Careful, Swanny will tell you the primary problem is the midfield. He is wrong.

Yes, I'd rather have played entertaining and almost entirely attacking football than continue in the style of the departed Hughton (who I have enormous respect and gratitude to). The football we played in the second half of the second season in the PL was inexcusably bad. Football is not only about winning, it is also about style, and for much of this season we have played with much style and panache. I believe this is the best Brighton team ever, at least in my 49 years of watching the club. The team is capable, given that the scoring problem is solved, of achieving a top ten finish next year, I can't wait to see how it pans out.

Hmm - a close call but 1981/82 season surely has to be our best.
Finished 13th, 13 wins, 13 draws & 52 points with 43 goals scored.

Steve Foster, Mark Lawrenson, Brian Horton, Neil Mc Nab, Andy Ritchie, Michael Robinson & Gerry Ryan - arguably ad good if not better than there equivalents today?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hmm - a close call but 1981/82 season surely has to be our best.
Finished 13th, 13 wins, 13 draws & 52 points with 43 goals scored.

Steve Foster, Mark Lawrenson, Brian Horton, Neil Mc Nab, Andy Ritchie, Michael Robinson & Gerry Ryan - arguably ad good if not better than there equivalents today?

Yes, I’d agree.

Michael Robinson would be brilliant in our current team

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can only judge at the end of the season.

There has definitely been areas we've moved forwards but also areas we've regressed.

Ultimately, the final league position will dictate.

It’s absolutely not all about the final league position in a single season for me......there are far more moving parts/other factors to consider. The league position, for example, says nothing about what the next set of talent emerging from the academy is like, how the U23s have performed, how our loanees are doing etc etc etc. It’s almost as though we have fans that don’t understand ‘long term plan’ or ‘strategy’ :shrug::shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s absolutely not all about the final league position in a single season for me......there are far more moving parts/other factors to consider. The league position, for example, says nothing about what the next set of talent emerging from the academy is like, how the U23s have performed, how our loanees are doing etc etc etc. It’s almost as though we have fans that don’t understand ‘long term plan’ or ‘strategy’ :shrug::shrug:

Sometimes a step backwards, to then take several forward.

Very true in football with an entirely new playing ethos and incremental (we can’t do a Villa or a Chelsea) squad overhaul.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Of course progress is being made. 2nd half of the season (15 games) we are 7th. That includes games against Palace and West Brom. We have improved as the season has gone on. If you understand football you can see that. If you can’t look beyond the league table you won’t. I have no doubt we will be mid table next season as we are improving.

el punal

You know the three teams, same as we all do. Which is why we'll end up in sixteenth place :shrug:

Okay, we’ve known for some time that Sheffield Utd and West Brom are relegation certs with Fulham with an outside chance of survival - now very much diminished. Of the other three below us Southampton have been woeful since the turn of the year and I fear for them next season, mainly down to internal problems within the club. Ditto for Newcastle. Burnley could also have a poor season next time around, as Sean Dyche may not be able to turn around their annual poor first three months.

My prediction for 2021/22? I reckon (hope!) that we’ll kick on. This, on the basis that we won’t be so wasteful in converting goal scoring chances that have undoubtedly cost us so many points this time around. Apart that we are definitely a team that has improved in all departments. I also think that Leeds and Wolves will have a poor season.
Leeds - second season syndrome, Wolves - have failed to live up to their performances of the last couple of years.

Time will tell eh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here