Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Albion progressed this season?

Have Albion made positive progress this season?

• Yep - we've moved forward

Votes: 443 89.0%
  • No - we're treading water

Votes: 54 10.8%
  • No - we've regressed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes with the one caveat next season starts with small bang.

I don't want unbeaten run or anything silly, but they must start with some kind of impact in the division.

If they start by dribbling around the bottom 6 into Oct, then it's:-

No to progress
No to GPott.
&
Down with this sort of thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without doubt. As I said elsewhere on this board, this is a longer term project, a manager who is newish to the EPL, who has totally transformed the playing style but is still learning himself, a team which is still young and learning. This is a club which is going places in the top flight and I am exited for the summer transfer activity and for next season. We need to learn to break down stubborn teams and find the net with a bit more frequency but it will come. The major difference I see at the moment is that we have a solid defense no matter who plays in the back 5 and are not scared of the big teams and never seem completely out of any game. We still need to work in some areas but this will come is a calm and progressive manner like the other aforementioned positive aspects did.

Onwards and upwards!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How much of it is down to the basics of bedding in a settled side tho? Took stupidly long to reach this point IMHO

Imho Lamptey and our summer 2020 signings were the game changers, enabling GP’s game-plan to finally flourish. Even then it took ages, Lallana and Welbeck weren’t match fit and possibly playing within themselves due to a catalogue of injuries.

Variously; Propper, Stephens, Duffy, Connolly, Montoya, Bernardo and Ryan were in 2019/20 teams given the run around.

Finally we have an EPL squad to truly compete, now just lacking a reliable finisher.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Without doubt. As I said elsewhere on this board, this is a longer term project, a manager who is newish to the EPL, who has totally transformed the playing style but is still learning himself, a team which is still young and learning. This is a club which is going places in the top flight and I am exited for the summer transfer activity and for next season. We need to learn to break down stubborn teams and find the net with a bit more frequency but it will come. The major difference I see at the moment is that we have a solid defense no matter who plays in the back 5 and are not scared of the big teams and never seem completely out of any game. We still need to work in some areas but this will come is a calm and progressive manner like the other aforementioned positive aspects did.

Onwards and upwards!

Looking forward to flying in for home games next season?

I’m genuinely excited.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good points as always.

However, I would say last season didn’t feel much of an improvement from where we were under CH (sorry [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION]) whereas this season feels a very real improvement because our shape is so good without the ball.

I know it’s disgusting that Potter couldn’t change the style completely and make a massive improvement, on veteran CH’s achievements, as a PL rookie :wink:

Last season was MASSIVE improvement in entertainment over the one before though :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How much of it is down to the basics of bedding in a settled side tho? Took stupidly long to reach this point IMHO

Possibly. But last season was about transformation and embedding his culture, playing ethos and style. The change could not be any more extreme so this couldn’t happen overnight. Last summer and the first half of this season was about shipping unwanted players out and Potterball players in and seeing who is the best personal for his squad.....and the second half of this season we are seeing the results. Its been a calm, progressive and measured change....which is fine with me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking forward to flying in for home games next season?

I’m genuinely excited.

Absolutely. I really do feel we are at the start of something quite special over the next few years.

I also miss the bars and restaurants in Brighton as well.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes, we've made significant progress on the pitch in terms of style of play, chance creation and integrating new players into the side.

And off the pitch when Bissouma leaves for big money, we'll have taken big steps in addressing the balance sheet.

Improving the striker options is still to be done, but to be fair, we've been waiting 3-4 years for that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Possibly. But last season was about transformation and embedding his culture, playing ethos and style. The change could not be any more extreme so this couldn’t happen overnight. Last summer and the first half of this season was about shipping unwanted players out and Potterball players in and seeing who is the best personal for his squad.....and the second half of this season we are seeing the results. Its been a calm, progressive and measured change....which is fine with me.

Sorry HT, but still looks Emperor's New Clothes to me. Shockingly poor bottom three this season. When the games all play out, we'll prob still end up 16th. If we still end up in that slot next season then the punt on and the cult of Potter will have run its gormless course shirley?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry HT, but still looks Emperor's New Clothes to me. Shockingly poor bottom three this season. When the games all play out, we'll prob still end up 16th. If we still end up in that slot next season then the punt on and the cult of Potter will have run its gormless course shirley?

As I said, we need to learn how to unlock stubborn teams, this is all. Defensively we are sound; in fact, how many have we conceded to the 6 teams below us in 12 games? Is it 9? That WBA was a freak game which I’m not too fussed about. Other than this we only lost to Sheffield United. This is poor, but not shockingly poor....shockingly poor would have been losing a few more. Also, does it matter where the points come from?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The question was 'have we improved' not 'will we do better next season and if not should Potter be sacked?'.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Voted "Yep" but I can see where the treading water guys are coming from. My "Yep" is based on the improved quality of our play (overall, without dwelling on the woeful finishing) and the potentially great future we could have by bringing in the likes of Moder, Caicedo, and promoting Sanchez to No.1. I think we're going places, and it isn't down!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wonder what the gormless NSC HerdMind would have said if the same question were asked in the aftermath of last week's pathetic capitulation to Sheffield United

I'm not especially interested. Anyway, I have most of the worst of the hysterics and lunatics on ignore :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here