Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Sammi offered his resignation?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I won't ask names, but would it be fair to suggest the players he wants are a bit of our reach...?

I don't know any names other than the obvious ones which are floating around currently.

Is that not very similiar to what you said about Oscar? Are his targets achievable?

I think it's the complete opposite to Oscar. I'm not sure anyone, including Oscar, knew what he wanted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Differs to what I've heard in that Sami is so exacting in what he wants, that is why we appear to be struggling on acquisitions. He knows what he wants and nothing else will do. He doesn't want to waste money just to bolster the squad with numbers.

I struggle to believe we are selling off all our most valuable players without Sami's agreement. If he and the board are singing from the same hymn sheet, what is going on at the moment although drastic, is no big deal to me. If we have a season struggling whilst Sami puts together the team he wants with the players he wants, that would be totally acceptable to most fans I think? Only question then is whether he is actually a good manager, which nobody really knows at the moment.

If we are just selling players off and telling Sami he'll have to make do with what he is given, which is also a possibility, then he will be gone soon and the Amex will be an angry and unhappy place.

Tellingly there was an article in the Argus the other day that alluded to players who were here that didn't want to be. I imagine Buckley was almost certainly one of them.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don't know any names other than the obvious ones which are floating around currently.

I think it's the complete opposite to Oscar. I'm not sure anyone, including Oscar, knew what he wanted.

Wasn't Oscars request for 'quick skillful players' to Burke and sadly couldn't be any more specific than that ?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
So far we've signed a very good CB, a squad player that fills a 3rd striker role, on the fringe of signing our 2nd best player last year. If Buckley goes we've lost the CB of last year (but I believe AH covers that), Ulloa (we've yet to see that marquee signing), Buckley (who doesnt fit the new tactics and I'm guessing will be replaced by McCourt).

There's two weeks left of the window, we're lacking players, there's a loan window to follow. Do you think SH thinks they don't know what they're doing? I think he would have known about Ulloa and Buckley going before agreeing to join.

There is no way Hyypia would have known that Ulloa & Buckley were going. Those deals were not even close to being a reality at that stage.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I struggle to believe we are selling off all our most valuable players without Sami's agreement. If he and the board are singing from the same hymn sheet, what is going on at the moment although drastic, is no big deal to me. If we have a season struggling whilst Sami puts together the team he wants with the players he wants, that would be totally acceptable to most fans I think? Only question then is whether he is actually a good manager, which nobody really knows at the moment.

If we are just selling players off and telling Sami he'll have to make do with what he is given, which is also a possibility, then he will be gone soon and the Amex will be an angry and unhappy place.

Tellingly there was an article in the Argus the other day that alluded to players who were here that didn't want to be. I imagine Buckley was almost certainly one of them.

If Sami and the board are in total agreement over what he wants to do and he's intent on acquiring his "own" players who will eventually make us a far better team then I'm not too bothered either.
Plenty of other teams have gone through a major overhaul and have come out better the other side - perhaps it's our turn to do that
Hopefully it's that rather than your second thought . . .

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There is no way Hyypia would have known that Ulloa & Buckley were going. Those deals were not even close to being a reality at that stage.

That we know about. Lord knows how long initial negotiations had been going on for, especially as they'd had bids for Ulloa turned down before Sami joined.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I won't ask names, but would it be fair to suggest the players he wants are a bit of our reach...?

Is that not very similiar to what you said about Oscar? Are his targets achievable?

Good summary, I think.

It clearly didn't work out with Oscar for whatever reason(s). I can't believe the same thing would happen again in such quick succession.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not according to Tony Bloom who stated Oscar's list was full of Players that were not available or too expensive.

Did he say that? Not read that before. I'd heard that Oscar had turned down everyone on a list presented to him...

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
If Sami and the board are in total agreement over what he wants to do and he's intent on acquiring his "own" players who will eventually make us a far better team then I'm not too bothered either.
Plenty of other teams have gone through a major overhaul and have come out better the other side - perhaps it's our turn to do that
Hopefully it's that rather than your second thought . . .
Just as long as this does not involve relegation this season.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Differs to what I've heard in that Sami is so exacting in what he wants, that is why we appear to be struggling on acquisitions. He knows what he wants and nothing else will do. He doesn't want to waste money just to bolster the squad with numbers.

So how does that fit in with the speculation that Ward will sign shortly. He's never seen him play live and he can only guess whether he will fit into the new system, although I do expect he can as he has played in a variety of positions at Wolves. Much as I will be happy if Ward signs, I can't see that Sami will have had much input into this particular signing.

We live in strange times

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So how does that fit in with the speculation that Ward will sign shortly. He's never seen him play live and he can only guess whether he will fit into the new system, although I do expect he can as he has played in a variety of positions at Wolves. Much as I will be happy if Ward signs, I can't see that Sami will have had much input into this particular signing.

It is entirely possible that he's watched hours of DVDs of our players, and still liked Ward...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Sami said when he joined, that he had watched (on tape, obv) a lot of last season's matches - and had come to his conclusions about what needed to change.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I heard Sami expected a War-chest but instead was handed a small ladies purse.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did he say that? Not read that before. I'd heard that Oscar had turned down everyone on a list presented to him...

He is paraphrasing but Tony did say 1 particular player was over budget and out of our reach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here