Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Agreed, and Hughton’s tenure also coincided with Bloom getting the balance right behind the scenes with Burke going and that ridiculous period of too many loans we had that massively contributed to Hyypia’s demise - just wasn’t the team spirit.

And spirit is the key Hughton legacy for me, he forged a team spirit and ethic that remains today, he can’t be faulted for changing the mentality of the club and where he took us. Huge regard for him and what he did for us.

And Potter took that spirit and gave those players a sprinkle of trust and belief that they could take it to the big teams, they didn’t need to park the bus or low block. They were coached and trusted with the ball, always looking to get numbers forward. 3 years of our team dominating games, not always getting the results performances deserved, but absolutely got us cemented in this division.

Then Roberto comes along and gives the dial another twist, not only do I trust you with the ball and to get you to go forward and attack, you’re going to do it quicker after sucking the opposition with more risk. I’m loving how he’s progressing the side.

3 incredible managerial appointments if you ask me. I find it difficult to fault any of them tbh.
this! ta, you're more objective than me! it's all down to one man, genius

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed, and Hughton’s tenure also coincided with Bloom getting the balance right behind the scenes with Burke going and that ridiculous period of too many loans we had that massively contributed to Hyypia’s demise - just wasn’t the team spirit.

And spirit is the key Hughton legacy for me, he forged a team spirit and ethic that remains today, he can’t be faulted for changing the mentality of the club and where he took us. Huge regard for him and what he did for us.

And Potter took that spirit and gave those players a sprinkle of trust and belief that they could take it to the big teams, they didn’t need to park the bus or low block. They were coached and trusted with the ball, always looking to get numbers forward. 3 years of our team dominating games, not always getting the results performances deserved, but absolutely got us cemented in this division.

Then Roberto comes along and gives the dial another twist, not only do I trust you with the ball and to get you to go forward and attack, you’re going to do it quicker after sucking the opposition with more risk. I’m loving how he’s progressing the side.

3 incredible managerial appointments if you ask me. I find it difficult to fault any of them tbh.
Oh so true …so so true

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

Spot on.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This board is far more at peace with Potter gone the man caused a lot of division.
Some thought he was a genius others like me thought what kind of genius can only muster a couple of home wins in year and had him down as a fraud. It was an interesting period to say the least, we are doing well under RDZ yet I don’t see the same pure adulation for him as some showed for Potter things are going back to normal.
RDZ gets on with the job never mentions the supporters or if he does it’s only positive. Never talks us down as a small club lucky to be in the PL when things go wrong I like him a lot.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I don’t blame Potter for the manner in which he left. He had almost no choice in the matter.

I’ve committed myself to my current company and the goals we have for the next 5 years. I have absolutely no intention of leaving and am a very principled type of guy.

But if a competitor offers me five times the salary, I will HAVE to go. It will better secure my family’s future, which is the reason I work so hard in the first place.

Potter was incredible for us and I think a really nice guy with it. Chelsea are the ones we should hate, because Graham Potter did what 99.9% of people would do.

I’m revelling in Chelsea struggling, not Potter.

The fact we’ve come out of it pretty well is even better of course.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don’t blame Potter for the manner in which he left. He had almost no choice in the matter.

I’ve committed myself to my current company and the goals we have for the next 5 years. I have absolutely no intention of leaving and am a very principled type of guy.

But if a competitor offers me five times the salary, I will HAVE to go. It will better secure my family’s future, which is the reason I work so hard in the first place.

Potter was incredible for us and I think a really nice guy with it. Chelsea are the ones we should hate, because Graham Potter did what 99.9% of people would do.

I think that’s what most people feel but for irrational reasons I take great pleasure in seeing Potter’s team struggle, probably because he’s the figurehead of a club and supporters that I despise.

Without wearing the rose tinted specs I had on when he was our head coach I hold a more balanced view and find many of his comments and observations irritating, repetitive and straight out of a leadership development manual.

Failure in management can always be countered by the “they didn’t give him time” argument. I wonder if “how much time” he would be given was discussed at his interview. Also wonder how much it would cost to get rid of Potter, Reid, and the rest of the ex Albion team.

Tough one for them tomorrow. Free hit or season defining?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think that Chelsea need to see what he can do without their huge injury list. Any and every manager would struggle with what they are currently going through.

I still think that given time he will prove to be a very good manager. Unlike many others I also hope he does. Be good to see an English manager succeed at the higher levels playing good football. football which may prove more suited to a higher quality of player.

Having said that I am also glad he has gone because De Zerbi has bought another level of excitement to proceedings, I like this scoring goals lark.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Having said that I am also glad he has gone because De Zerbi has bought another level of excitement to proceedings, I like this scoring goals lark.
And there’s the rub. Potter’s a great coach until it comes to scoring goals and winning games.

I’d be f***ing brilliant at snooker if my third red didn’t keep wobbling in the jaws when I was on a break of 8.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This board is far more at peace with Potter gone the man caused a lot of division.
Some thought he was a genius others like me thought what kind of genius can only muster a couple of home wins in year and had him down as a fraud. It was an interesting period to say the least, we are doing well under RDZ yet I don’t see the same pure adulation for him as some showed for Potter things are going back to normal.
RDZ gets on with the job never mentions the supporters or if he does it’s only positive. Never talks us down as a small club lucky to be in the PL when things go wrong I like him a lot.
I'm not sure if what you saw as adulation was actually that. I think there was so much discussion about him because what we saw was potential. At there were a vocal few who couldn't see that potential it had to be pointed out over and over and seemed like adulation.

Then we had the end of last season and then beginning of this where that potential appeared to have been realised. This bought the evidence that everyone was right so again looked like adulation.

Personally I was suspicious that another lean spell was just around the corner and the project wasn't quite as far along as it appeared.

With De Zerbi, i think he will prove more popular but without the doubters to rally against no-one feels the need to get entrenched in 'team in' or 'team out'. Still it is looking bloody exciting and personally I think it looks like an upgrade.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And there’s the rub. Potter’s a great coach until it comes to scoring goals and winning games.

I’d be f***ing brilliant at snooker if my third red didn’t keep wobbling in the jaws when I was on a break of 8.
Yeah I agree, he needs to learn how to get his team scoring. We laid the blame at the players feet for a long time but De Zerbi has burst that myth.

. . . I am starting to wonder if you can add keeping players fit to that list too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Fantastic post 🙏

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I take the point it was a great offer, setting aside that comparisons to most jobs are pretty much irrelevant. Potter didn’t need to move to better secure his family’s future. By any measure, they’d have been extremely rich anyway after several years at the Albion. In a way, that fact reflects better on him as, for all the extra wealth, it’s probably true that he primarily moved for the chance of winning trophies rather than money.

As you’re a very principled guy, how would you feel about leaving your company, taking several key people with you and coming back for more. That’s the beef most people have with Potter. That aspect doesn’t reveal him to be a ‘really nice guy’ but a ruthless one, prioritising his career above all else. The manner of departure showed very little respect to the likes of Tony Bloom who’d helped him earn that fantastic opportunity.

Football being football, I doubt Bloom holds it against him too much, especially as our new Coach looks capable of moving the club forward. Potter seems to believe Boehly will be every bit as supportive. I suspect he may well be wrong.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I take the point it was a great offer, setting aside that comparisons to most jobs are pretty much irrelevant. Potter didn’t need to move to better secure his family’s future. By any measure, they’d have been extremely rich anyway after several years at the Albion. In a way, that fact reflects better on him as, for all the extra wealth, it’s probably true that he primarily moved for the chance of winning trophies rather than money.

As you’re a very principled guy, how would you feel about leaving your company, taking several key people with you and coming back for more. That’s the beef most people have with Potter. That aspect doesn’t reveal him to be a ‘really nice guy’ but a ruthless one, prioritising his career above all else. The manner of departure showed very little respect to the likes of Tony Bloom who’d helped him earn that fantastic opportunity.

Football being football, I doubt Bloom holds it against him too much, especially as our new Coach looks capable of moving the club forward. Potter seems to believe Boehly will be every bit as supportive. I suspect he may well be wrong.
Come on, yes he would have been very wealthy my most standards, but the money Chelsea are paying is genuinely life changing. He could stop work after they sack him and spend the rest of his life with those he loves, doing the things he enjoys. No way we were paying him enough to do that.

Potter didn't owe Brighton anything, just like I don't owe my company anything. They will get rid of me if they think there is someone else that can be more successful.

He took a load of the staff with him - also not something I find as odious as everyone else. Although I confess that might be because we don't look like it's caused us problems. I was hurt particularly that they took Bruno, but logically I don't think that could have been a huge coaching loss. It's just emotional.

Anyway, I think we're making a bit of a song and dance about it really, that's all :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah I agree, he needs to learn how to get his team scoring. We laid the blame at the players feet for a long time but De Zerbi has burst that myth.

. . . I am starting to wonder if you can add keeping players fit to that list too.

Similar squad = similar results & performances

When I see RDZs side stomp teams with the 2019-2021 squad quality, I'll buy into the idea that it has absolutely nothing to do with the players. :shrug:

Would be very practical of course. Could sell Mitoma, Caicedo, Pervis, Alexis, Lallana, Veltman and so forth for some £200m and just bring back Stephens, Pröpper, Connolly, Maupay and the 2019 gang for a very cheap fee if the players are irrelevant.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

When I see RDZs side stomp teams with the 2019-2021 squad quality, I'll buy into the idea that it has absolutely nothing to do with the players. :shrug:

Would be very practical of course. Could sell Mitoma, Caicedo, Pervis, Alexis, Lallana, Veltman and so forth for some £200m and just bring back Stephens, Pröpper, Connolly, Maupay and the 2019 gang for a very cheap fee if the players are irrelevant.

Oh, did my post suggest to you I thought the quality of player was irrelevant? I suppose I should have been clearer on that. I was more pointing out that de Zerbi has got a very similar squad scoring more goals.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Oh, did my post suggest to you I thought the quality of player was irrelevant? I suppose I should have been clearer on that. I was more pointing out that de Zerbi has got a very similar squad scoring more goals.
Potter could take a massive shit on Swansmans sofa and he would find a positive reason why Potter took a massive shit on his sofa 😂

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

How about when Bloom sacked Hughton, where was the loyalty/principles there? He got us promoted and kept us up two years running, yet we got rid of him because we thought there was someone else who could do a better job (which turned out to be correct).

It works both ways, everyone in football knows there is no loyalty. As per Barber's interview a couple of months ago, Bloom/Barber themselves don't hold any grudges against Potter and said they completely understand why he left - Barber saying he'd done similar in the past when a better opportunity came up.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Last season we had a great squad. With cucu , Biss , burn , mwepu. So arguably as good as now. Yet potty decided to loan caciedo to beershot which in hindsight was mental. And we were rubbish for long periods last season.

Loads wanted potter sacked before the arsenal away game. We had just lost 6 in a row including a humiliation by Burnley at home !! And a shite draw with the woeful Norwich. I just can't see zerbi going through these kind of spells against rubbish opposition, with a good squad like ours.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Last season we had a great squad. With cucu , Biss , burn , mwepu. So arguably as good as now. Yet potty decided to loan caciedo to beershot which in hindsight was mental. And we were rubbish for long periods last season.

Loads wanted potter sacked before the arsenal away game. We had just lost 6 in a row including a humiliation by Burnley at home !! And a shite draw with the woeful Norwich. I just can't see zerbi going through these kind of spells against rubbish opposition, with a good squad like ours.
I agree, it was a great squad. Hence ending up 9th, remains to be seen if that will be beaten. I can agree the Caicedo loan was clearly shite, because things ended up really bad for him.

While the squad last season was great, this is even better. You could see it in beginning of the season and you can see it now. Main difference is Mitoma, a player the squad has been desperately in need of for several years.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He got us promoted and kept us up two years running, yet we got rid of him because we thought there was someone else who could do a better job (which turned out to be correct).
Totally agree with you about loyalty and made the same point on another thread.

But we didn't let CH go because we thought someone else could do it better. TB was quite specific - he said at the time words to the effect of the risk of keeping Hughton was greater than the risk of trying something else. Pedantic point, but goes to Tony's motivation. I think he is a loyal owner, but he felt keeping Chris would endanger the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here