Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Yes. Feel he jumped ship too soon and needed a better CV to command respect from the premadonnas in that dressing room.
100%. Timing was all horribly wrong, but when someone puts double / treble wages on the table it’s hard to say no, especially if he was being promised time to build his team. In hindsight I suspect he’ll wish he stayed at BHA longer, especially if we somehow get a European place.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Well we have asked this question about one ex Albion custodian, now it's time to pose the same question about another. He isn't exactly having the best time of things at Chelsea is he?
Did you start this thread because you thought there weren't enough other threads for Swansman to contribute to?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
For me, it’s one of those ones where I’ve no skin in the game, but I rated GP while he was here, so do have a sliver of curiosity as to how he does.

I wish it wasn’t Chelsea coz I hate them, but I think he’s a good coach and he’s been an important part of our progress in the past couple of years. The fact that Boehly has tried to transplant our operation wholesale to Stamford Bridge can’t be laid at his door.

To my mind it’s going to come down to: Can Boehly ignore a fickle fan base and an absence of short term success?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
For me, it’s one of those ones where I’ve no skin in the game, but I rated GP while he was here, so do have a sliver of curiosity as to how he does.

I wish it wasn’t Chelsea coz I hate them, but I think he’s a good coach and he’s been an important part of our progress in the past couple of years. The fact that Boehly has tried to transplant our operation wholesale to Stamford Bridge can’t be laid at his door.

To my mind it’s going to come down to: Can Boehly ignore a fickle fan base and an absence of short term success?
The absence of short term success often doesn’t bode well for medium or long term success, unless for example the youth set up is firmly embedded and starting to produce a conveyor belt of good young players. As we know it takes years to see the results

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The absence of short term success often doesn’t bode well for medium or long term success, unless for example the youth set up is firmly embedded and starting to produce a conveyor belt of good young players. As we know it takes years to see the results

Agree, but if Boehly is data driven as all the PR suggests, and has liked Brighton’s model so much he’s tried to buy it, then presumably he knows what he wants and is prepared to allow time for all the new pieces to bed in and start having an effect.

Alternatively, it could all be PR nonsense designed to distract from what has seemed an absolutely insane transfer policy since his takeover. We’ll find out soon enough I’m sure.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I could never understand the Potter hype. In the 2021/2 season we started off with four wins in five games and were in the top three. After that we had loads and loads of draws. Somehow, we started to win a few leading up to the last ten or so games,. Luckily we did as we were in danger of being sucked into a relegation fight. Potter was being lauded as a great manager but so many draws and a persistence in picking Maupay showed weakness.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw signs last night that the Chelsea players are buying into Potterball, they were much the better side in the first half and hardly gave City a kick.

The Mahrez goal turned the game completely and having watched it again, the keeper takes 100% responsibility imo, dreadful keeping and Carragher is a **** for blaming Cucurella imo

Gonna be tough for him but if he has the strength of character to tough things out Potter will do well there imo

In case nobody mentioned it, he signed when the transfer window closed didn't he? Therefore it might be like when he started with us, few players playing out of position or not their best. Also look at Cuca. He got hell of bad press by fans when he wasn't performing because he was playing in wrong position. Now he's playing where he did for us he's been one of their best players

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I saw signs last night that the Chelsea players are buying into Potterball, they were much the better side in the first half and hardly gave City a kick.

The Mahrez goal turned the game completely and having watched it again, the keeper takes 100% responsibility imo, dreadful keeping and Carragher is a **** for blaming Cucurella imo

Gonna be tough for him but if he has the strength of character to tough things out Potter will do well there imo

Agree with that, everything good that Chelsea did down that side had Cucurella heavily involved. Thought Carragher got it very wrong in his analysis on that occasion.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
. Also look at Cuca. He got hell of bad press by fans when he wasn't performing because he was playing in wrong position. Now he's playing where he did for us he's been one of their best players
Has he? You had Better ask that tosser Carragher

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
GP has been amusingly promoted way beyond the level of his ability and is now being found out bigtime in a way he never was at the Albion. Highly funny to watch this car-crash happen in real time. Just a shame he had to drag some decent Albion people down with him
why did you take an instant dislike to him, tom?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Other than the usual target Carragher.

Agbonlahor “Cucurella looks like a bad £60m spent by Chelsea for me.”

Sutton “Cucurella, they’ve spent an absolute fortune on him and he looks well, well short for a Chelsea team that want to win trophies."

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Agree, but if Boehly is data driven as all the PR suggests, and has liked Brighton’s model so much he’s tried to buy it, then presumably he knows what he wants and is prepared to allow time for all the new pieces to bed in and start having an effect.

Alternatively, it could all be PR nonsense designed to distract from what has seemed an absolutely insane transfer policy since his takeover. We’ll find out soon enough I’m sure.

Thing is most of the pieces were in place prior to Potter's arrival here, seems at Chelsea they aren't. With that it still took him two-and-a-half seasons to get a tune out of us.

I can't see the Chelsea faithful sitting through a couple of seasons of dull abject pass it about but don't threaten the goal Potterball like we did.

Seems Chelsea are still in the blaming the players phase of Potterball. Popular and easily graspable scapegoat. Just like we did for large parts of the winless/goalless runs during his tenure. Side note, the same goal-shy squad, without Biss, Cucu and Maups, just scored 17 in the last 6 league games under -IMHO- superior management.

I think he's being found out. Give him a couple of years and Chelsea may well be looking at the top 4 again. Until then the fans will have to sit through: Players playing out of position, inept substitutions, knowing you're not going to win if you go a goal down, players looking demotivated after half time and uninspiring post match interviews coupled with belittling the fanbase. He's doing exactly what he did here and turning them into a boring to watch mid-table side.

As well as time, for Potter to be a success it takes the squad to buy into his ideas. Maybe here that was an easier sell than to a squad of seasoned top-level players who are used to winning things a certain way, not being told they're doing it all wrong by some unproven bearded brummie.

I'm not convince Boehly has much of a clue, unless he truly is playing the long/very-long game. I mean, £60M+ for Cucu? (Or whatever it was) Then signing players on 7+ year contracts? I dunno, either way I think they may have been better sticking with Tuchel.

Maybe it was Potter who needed the history lesson in the expectations associated with managing a top 6(7) side before his mega-money move.

I still think Roberts was the greatest loss.

TL;DR
Potter is Potter, and Chelsea have a growing quantity of bedwetters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here