Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Thiago Silva is 38 years old. Total class act. He'll have seen a hundred coaches come and go in his playing lifetime. Why would GP even register on his give-a-f***-o-meter?
Can’t argue with your logic, but where does the employee / manager ethos kick in? If it doesn’t, all players would be self coaching / managing

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Other than the usual target Carragher.

Agbonlahor “Cucurella looks like a bad £60m spent by Chelsea for me.”

Sutton “Cucurella, they’ve spent an absolute fortune on him and he looks well, well short for a Chelsea team that want to win trophies."

I thought he was one of Chelsea’s best players (in the first half yesterday especially) and as for those saying he can’t defend, what he lacks in more traditional defensive terms, his team gain via his anticipation and interceptions.

For me it’s a bit like the pelters that TAA has been given recently by the ex-defenders union who don’t seem to like how the game’s changed, and that a traditionally defensive position now largely plays in the opposition half. TAA did lose some form in early season, but so did the rest of the Liverpool team, yet every Salah miscue was somehow TAA’s fault.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He’s a very good chance of succeeding if:
given time
Our scouts continue to develop talent for Chelsea

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thiago Silva is 38 years old. Total class act. He'll have seen a hundred coaches come and go in his playing lifetime. Why would GP even register on his give-a-f***-o-meter?
Clearly he is doing what the manager is saying. Otherwise he would just be instinctively getting rid of the ball as far as possible every time he got it - according to you, that is...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Clearly he is doing what the manager is saying. Otherwise he would just be instinctively getting rid of the ball as far as possible every time he got it - according to you, that is...
Is that the same guy that cleared two shots off his line in the space of about two minutes in the first ten at the Amex recently and was reduced to doing a frantic WTF gesture at his manager?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought he was one of Chelsea’s best players (in the first half yesterday especially) and as for those saying he can’t defend, what he lacks in more traditional defensive terms, his team gain via his anticipation and interceptions.

For me it’s a bit like the pelters that TAA has been given recently by the ex-defenders union who don’t seem to like how the game’s changed, and that a traditionally defensive position now largely plays in the opposition half. TAA did lose some form in early season, but so did the rest of the Liverpool team, yet every Salah miscue was somehow TAA’s fault.
Interesting, I thinking similarly.

Fullbacks seem to be the punchbags when a club has bad results - Wan-Bissaka, TAA, Shaw. Internet posters and pundits claiming they can’t defend, ignoring their medals/trophies. Unwilling to take account of midfield failings or injuries that leave them overloaded.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The answer is obviously yes. Chelsea wasn't really the gig for him. But, then again, his biggest fan ever assured us all he'd never take it. Now he's trying to defend him hashing up the job he thought wasn't right for him.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
why do you never offer up your personal opinion on anything albion sneaky roger?
:lolol: can you be sneaky in plain site? :unsure:

i think potter was superb for us, keeping us up whilst transforming the style of the archaic, suicidal-hughtonball.
this enabled the recruitment team to be able to attract and field all of the technicians we see in our squad now. so he's as vital a coach as poyet in mr blooms narrative, if not more so.

is it cos you luv the blood and thunder, up'n'under, hoofball of the seventies, played by real men?

when we win something, bloom's vocation, will be made into a flimmin, "moneyball" type movie, the man's a genius

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
:lolol: can you be sneaky in plain site? :unsure:

i think potter was superb for us, keeping us up whilst transforming the style of the archaic, suicidal-hughtonball.
this enabled the recruitment team to be able to attract and field all of the technicians we see in our squad now. so he's as vital a coach as poyet in mr blooms narrative, if not more so.

is it cos you luv the blood and thunder, up'n'under, hoofball of the seventies, played by real men?

when we win something, bloom's vocation, will be made into a flimmin, "moneyball" type movie, the man's a genius
While Bloom is, without a doubt, a genius, we wouldn't be in the Premier League had we not decided to temporally bin off the tiki taka / left field coaches represented by Poyet, Oscar and Hyypia and gone with some tried and tested Championship coaching from Chris Hughton and some midfield steel from Kayal.

There would be no De Zerbi and no Pottterball without Hughts. yet he is a coach much maligned on these pages. Bloom's genius was to suspend the whole club plan at the expense of going up, and I'd hazard a guess that's because we were losing fuckloads of money every season we stayed in the Championship.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
While Bloom is, without a doubt, a genius, we wouldn't be in the Premier League had we not decided to temporally bin off the tiki taka / left field coaches represented by Poyet, Oscar and Hyypia and gone with some tried and tested Championship coaching from Chris Hughton and some midfield steel from Kayal.

There would be no De Zerbi and no Pottterball without Hughts. yet he is a coach much maligned on these pages. Bloom's genius was to suspend the whole club plan at the expense of going up, and I'd hazard a guess that's because we were losing fuckloads of money every season we stayed in the Championship.
soz, yeah

hughts is also a key part of bloom's story, a ticket for the big table, and all that;
as a football philosophy and spectacle tho',
still haunted by trying to defend 0-1 v cardiff, at home, and failing!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
soz, yeah

hughts is also a key part of bloom's story, a ticket for the big table, and all that;
Nothing wrong with the spectacle in The Championship. I'll grant you there was some dire looking stuff in the Premier League. Still, results wise, Hughton really only had six bad months and Potter really only had six good months.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
soz, yeah

I’m sure you enjoyed beating Manure that night with Knockhaert running the show, or the home game against Arsenal one glorious Sunday afternoon.
The double over Palace was also special they mayhem in the North when Andone scored was one of the best nights at the Amex.
A couple of dire home games against Cardiff and Bmuff is
a stick quite a few use to beat Hughton with which is short sighted and unfair on the man’s legacy at the club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The double over Palace was also special they mayhem in the North when Andone scored was one of the best nights at the Amex.
a stick quite a few use to beat Hughton with which is short sighted and unfair on the man’s legacy at the club.
Agreed, and Hughton’s tenure also coincided with Bloom getting the balance right behind the scenes with Burke going and that ridiculous period of too many loans we had that massively contributed to Hyypia’s demise - just wasn’t the team spirit.

And spirit is the key Hughton legacy for me, he forged a team spirit and ethic that remains today, he can’t be faulted for changing the mentality of the club and where he took us. Huge regard for him and what he did for us.

And Potter took that spirit and gave those players a sprinkle of trust and belief that they could take it to the big teams, they didn’t need to park the bus or low block. They were coached and trusted with the ball, always looking to get numbers forward. 3 years of our team dominating games, not always getting the results performances deserved, but absolutely got us cemented in this division.

Then Roberto comes along and gives the dial another twist, not only do I trust you with the ball and to get you to go forward and attack, you’re going to do it quicker after sucking the opposition with more risk. I’m loving how he’s progressing the side.

3 incredible managerial appointments if you ask me. I find it difficult to fault any of them tbh.

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Nothing wrong with the spectacle in The Championship. I'll grant you there was some dire looking stuff in the Premier League. Still, results wise, Hughton really only had six bad months and Potter really only had six good months.

While I agree with you re: Hughton’s importance to getting Brighton up and keeping Brighton up, GP’s job of transforming our football and squad from something from the ark into what we see today can’t be underestimated. Hughton didn’t trust players under the age of 25.

I completely understand the manner of GP’s leaving feeds into a desire to rewrite his legacy in negative terms, but watching Hughton’s PL work became increasingly dour as time went on. Potter’s work was far better to watch in two thirds of the pitch, but could still be frustratingly slow/over-intricate in the final third.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
absolutely.

i was using blooms tenure as the timeline, and comparing potter with poyet as potter won nothing and yet is more important to the "project". no potter, no dezerbi; more lauding bloom's masterplan than anything else.

i've never laughed at the football more than the chelsea game, nothing else even close. the thing is, with the nature of potter's departure, and chelsea's trevails, certain individuals on here have convinced themselves that potter couldn't manage his way out of a damp, paperbag. the reality of course, is that potter was perfect, for us, at that, specific time.

i was a huge potter fanboy, and yet, at the time, it appeared that potter had used us as a stepping stone, and cast us aside like an old sock. in reality of course, bloom had already enhanced and extended his contract, (for no discernable reason); and then, with a significant upgrade, walked away with £20M in his sky rocket!

how to create a successful club from the ground up!( :lolol: )

it's uncanny, like the lizard has built the first time machine, a joy to behold!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I’m sure you enjoyed beating Manure that night with Knockhaert running the show, or the home game against Arsenal one glorious Sunday afternoon.
you're absolutely correct of course, i'm just more of a football purist

it's the entertainment industry, and at the moment we are all enjoying booooooooooooooing potter, but if chelsea had come in for hughts, he would've been gone quicker than a rat up a drainpipe, and he would be the pantomime villan, it's what the people want! they didn't come in for him for a blimmin good reason, by the bye.

no idea what happened with hyppia, but hughton was the right man to steady the ship, and turn it around,

it's a BLOOMing narrative, i tells ya. i'm on the wagon atm, but as soon as i fall off, i'll raise a glass to uncle tone!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here