Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Barber got it wrong re: club stance on Ukraine?

Well?

• Total voters

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Can’t be bothered to read this tiresome thread, but what have you done?

I think it's curious that you haven't read the thread, the points people have made for or against, and yet you've voted anyway despite not understanding the thread's content.

And despite this, you still take the time to reply to call the thread - which you voted on and acknowledge you haven't read and don't understand - "tiresome".

That's a very... interesting approach.

What I've done is donate £500 to the BRC, put a large Ukrainian flag up in the window of the living room and come on here to urge others to get the club to show support for those suffering in Ukraine.

Oh, and I took time out to reply to a self-confessed moron, but that was for entertainment.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing wrong with making “people feel better”.

Bozza has changed the banner at the top of this forum - why? I presume that it is because he wants to show his support for the Ukrainian people, (I’m sure he’ll soon correct me if I’m wrong). It also implicitly shows that other members of the forum are of similar mind.

A similar display could have been on the big screens on Saturday if the club had had a mind to do so.

Yes, good on him. Pleased he didn't keep the "were loose" text!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The same applies, in a humanitarian response, I have my stance and that is all that defines me, if the football club want to say anything it will affect me in no way whatsoever. My view is its horrific, and war crimes are taking place all over the Ukraine, but never has my thought been, oh yeah, I think thats horrific, but I really wonder what an organisation completely unrelated thinks.

I'm going to down to my local corner shop tomorrow and ask them why they haven't repainted it yellow and blue.

Brighton and Hove Albion are a community football club, who play at the Community Stadium, who aim to be as representative of the community as they can within guidelines set by the authorities.

If solidarity with a sovereign nation who are presently being subjected to horrific war crimes isn't something the community club feels its followers care about, then it isn't the club or community for me any longer.

They represent us, all of us, the Brighton fans.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think it's curious that you haven't read the thread, the points people have made for or against, and yet you've voted anyway despite not understanding the thread's content.

And despite this, you still take the time to reply to call the thread - which you voted on and acknowledge you haven't read and don't understand - "tiresome".

That's a very... interesting approach.

What I've done is donate £500 to the BRC, put a large Ukrainian flag up in the window of the living room and come on here to urge others to get the club to show support for those suffering in Ukraine.

Oh, and I took time out to reply to a self-confessed moron, but that was for entertainment.

Tiresome in terms of someone taking something as serious as this invasion as an opportunity to criticise Paul Barber.

Well done for your donation (most people would have left it as that rather than stating the amount).

Having now scanned the thread I can’t see any posters confessing to being a self confessed moron.

Calm down.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Tiresome in terms of someone taking something as serious as this invasion as an opportunity to criticise Paul Barber.

Well done for your donation (most people would have left it as that rather than stating the amount).

Having now scanned the thread I can’t see any posters confessing to being a self confessed moron.

Calm down.

I like Paul Barber, that's why I haven't voted myself, I am asking people what they think in their considered opinion.

Just because I like him it doesn't mean I think he has managed this correctly.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Stay united don’t start looking for division when there is none to find, fans club country is united in its condemnation of Russia

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Brighton and Hove Albion are a community football club, who play at the Community Stadium, who aim to be as representative of the community as they can within guidelines set by the authorities.

If solidarity with a sovereign nation who are presently being subjected to horrific war crimes isn't something the community club feels its followers care about, then it isn't the club or community for me any longer.

Well, they've done it now, which I fully support, but I wouldn't have been bothered otherwise, I don't believe in telling people what they are supposed to think and represent as it feels disingenuous, they should make their own decision in what to do and they have done so now, and I will judge them accordingly, as they agree with 90% of the population, and this whole thread seems a bit silly.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This is NOT A POLITICAL ISSUE. It is a HUMANITARIAN one.

The world is full off major humanitarian issues. Every day off the year, every year, there will be people suffering. Millions being displaced.There are folk dying in forgotten wars and injustices as we speak.

So the question would be, why would the club choose this and not others ? It's a question we don't need the answer for- because the club is not there to fight for the causes at the forefront of my thinking. It is there to represent my town at football.

But if they choose to do so. I have no issues.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
An excellent gesture by the club IMHO who have read the room even if they haven't read NSC.

Now supporters can buy a yellow shirt with all profits being donated.

Visibility and generosity which unites and helps.

Well done club and up the Albion.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Any connections between the club and Sergey Gotsmanov should be burnt on the centre spot in one of those dustbin incinerators with the little chimney.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Wearing the third shirt and donating profits from sales is a good move. I feel he should go further and state that the club will refuse to play any Russian clubs in European competition next season and that Potter has been instructed to ensure there is no possibility. of being put in that position.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Should we retire Kanchelskis shirt ?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Ukraine to Barber;

Airplane.PNG

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Stop saying community.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The invasion began in the early hours of Thursday, so not sure how you count your hours but there.

I did see some Ukranian flags dotted about, but yes surprisingly little from fans and nothing from the club. Even the screens could have been in blue and yellow like they managed at Wembley - how long might that have needed to load up? It seems other fans managed to do stuff around the country as well.

Our anthem afterall is about young soldiers far from home defending freedom. But you know, lets not risk a yellow and blue jumbo screen in case someone from the FA gives us a behaviour point.

So a whole day then, I'm going to start moaning that piglets didn't do a Borscht guest pie and the sweetie trolly didn't make up bags of yellow and blue smarties.

I guess you changed you avatar at 5am Friday morning

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As a premier league club that is shown live in countries around the world I would like to think that viewers would be able to see gesture of solidarity from our football community, and for us fans to be proud of sticking two fingers up at Putin. We can’t do much to help these poor folk but the least we can do is to let them know we are thinking of them.
Big Ukrainian flag, yellow and blue away kit, Ukraine national anthem instead of GOSBTS, fans wearing blue and yellow, and plenty of “you can stick your bloody Putin up yer arse” sung for 90 minutes.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
As a premier league club that is shown live in countries around the world I would like to think that viewers would be able to see gesture of solidarity from our football community, and for us fans to be proud of sticking two fingers up at Putin. We can’t do much to help these poor folk but the least we can do is to let them know we are thinking of them.
Big Ukrainian flag, yellow and blue away kit, Ukraine national anthem instead of GOSBTS, fans wearing blue and yellow, and plenty of “you can stick your bloody Putin up yer arse” sung for 90 minutes.

Sorry, what a load of utter tosh ! For one we're away this week, when any 'action ' needs to be taken and do you honestly think that native Ukranians will be watching Newcastle v Brighton with all that's going on ? We're already wearing the blue/yellow away kit, what more do you need ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sorry, what a load of utter tosh ! For one we're away this week, when any 'action ' needs to be taken and do you honestly think that native Ukranians will be watching Newcastle v Brighton with all that's going on ? We're already wearing the blue/yellow away kit, what more do you need ?

Tosh eh? Nice. I am not talking about the weekend. I am talking about the sort of things Brighton can do to show the world their support for Ukraine in the period to come. I agree that Ukrainians will have bigger fish to fry than watch us on TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here