Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Barber got it wrong re: club stance on Ukraine?

Well?

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You may well be right but my donation to an arms fund is totally insignificant compared to the billions in arms already being offered by governments. However even small amounts can make a very real difference to those who have fled from the fighting and are crossing the border out of Ukraine with literally just what they can carry.

It’s so desperately sad. I’m torn by anger and empathy towards what is happening, the historical connotations, the real peril everyone including us here in the UK is potentially facing. Many are indifferent to what is happening, like it’s some dull current affairs programme. Were the inhabitants of England in 1938-39 similarly ‘bored’ by the threat Hitler posed to their very existence? No, they started preparing. We are all living in a bubble believing it doesn’t really effect us. Just like the news of some Archduke’s assassination in a far away land was tucked away on the inside of the paper

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s so desperately sad. I’m torn by anger and empathy towards what is happening, the historical connotations, the real peril everyone including us here in the UK is potentially facing. Many are indifferent to what is happening, like it’s some dull current affairs programme. Were the inhabitants of England in 1938-39 similarly ‘bored’ by the threat Hitler posed to their very existence? No, they started preparing. We are all living in a bubble believing it doesn’t really effect us. Just like the news of some Archduke’s assassination in a far away land was tucked away on the inside of the paper

The vast majority of Brits had zero interest in Ukraine and Ukrainians. Most people cope with life by hedonism/booze and/or deliberately ignoring any non-UK issues, to maintain sanity.

Putin waging war with the illegal invasion and crimes against humanity has changed all that.

I’ve been heartened by the genuine concern, interest and anger from people I know across age groups, also all our politicians acting in unison, the EU/US (after a hesitant start), sports bodies and mankind.

Putin expected division. He miscalculated, big time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, mostly they were. That's why they all heaved a sigh of relief when Chamberlain returned from Munich with his poxy piece of paper.That's why why the BEF was totally unprepared and quickly smashed - even though we rescued 300,000 of them the rest were left, dead or captured. That's why 'The Few' literally had to perform miracles against overwhelming odds to revent the Nazis getting control of the air and winning the war.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm not sure that is strictly true in the sense you are comparing it to now. The 1919-1938 period where the spirit of the Labour movement started to rise up, more so elsewhere than in the UK, but there was universal striking, dissatisfaction, the government changed 4 times between 1922 and 1929. The depression then hit in 1930, and continued - Britain was not thinking about foreign policy, or rearmament at that point, Stanley Baldwin who led the government by 1937 resigned, Chamberlain wasn't PM until May 37, the country was in no state or preparedness for war at all, there was no stomach for it, we didn't really start rearming until Oct 1938, but even so, as late as March 1940 Chamberlain still had 68% public approval ratings as very few people in the UK were thinking about war, Chamberlain, often reviled only did what the majority of the country wanted - avoiding another war at almost all costs. When Chamberlain returned from Munich, he was treated as a hero, crowds packed the streets to cheer his success at keeping Britain out of another war.

I don't disagree in regard to the shadow of peril looming in a far away place seemingly abstract and not impacting us, but I'm not sure you can level the population of late 1930s UK as being in a state of preparedness with a necessity to fight again - we had for 18 years or so pretty much turned our backs on what was happening in Europe.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Having emailed and criticized the club it's only fair I now recognise they have stepped up by offering 3rd choice kit with profits going to Ukrainian refugee relief and deciding that kit will be worn for the men and women's next match.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
So here's the thing. I'm really pleased about the 3rd kit donation business. But isn't it obviously the roundabout admission that the club got it wrong. In conjunction with the announcement I'd also have liked Barber to have publicly acknowledged that he get it wrong. Instead we got the terse response about politics when people emailed him. Sometimes I love the way he fights for our club but just sometimes the bullish ' the customer is wrong ' attitude grates on me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So here's the thing. I'm really pleased about the 3rd kit donation business. But isn't it obviously the roundabout admission that the club got it wrong. In conjunction with the announcement I'd also have liked Barber to have publicly acknowledged that he get it wrong. Instead we got the terse response about politics when people emailed him. Sometimes I love the way he fights for our club but just sometimes the bullish ' the customer is wrong ' attitude grates on me.

They didn’t get it wrong. It didn’t happen as quickly as some on here would’ve liked.

I expect they had to check with EPL, NUFC, sponsors, kit man (!), etc. before announcing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

What did they get wrong. They 'did' nothing like the majority of clubs did this weekend. The are regulations within both FIFA and the Premier League about 'political gestures' - so maybe we didn't approach the PL to ask, but this happened on Thursday night and the game was Saturday. There was probably more things to sort before a match day

SAC

May 21, 2014
Yes, they got it wrong by assuming that nothing was expected (or allowed) from the club and were shown up by the few clubs that did something.
Yes, they have now got it right. Better late than never.

That said, I appreciate that I'm in the minority on here in thinking that the club should have acted sooner and I have no idea if it was actually Barber who made the decision so can't say if it was him personally that got it wrong.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Barber on Talksport in a min talking about their decision for the kit at the weekend...
And that's the only thing they've got wrong so far imho.

Doing nothing on Saturday like most clubs. Fine.

Wearing an away kit in an away game and raising some money for a good cause - very fine.

Seeking out the PR win by going on national radio to crow about what a good gesture it is - classic Barber.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Wearing an away kit in an away game and raising some money for a good cause - very fine.

Seeking out the PR win by going on national radio to crow about what a good gesture it is - classic Barber.

I was wrong, someone still moaning.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Erm…how do you know? So you think PB rang Talksport? No chance that TS saw it as an interesting article to broadcast? Hmmm :moo:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Here's an idea, maybe at our next home match, a rousing chorus of "Give peace a chance" not the whole song, just the chorus of those four words as the two teams prepare to kick off, not too "political" just asking for peace!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Imagine being as much of a cynical whiney dick as this.

The entire POINT of the kit change, is to show solidarity and raise awareness (and some modest funds).

Going on national radio to PUBLICISE the decision, is all part of that RAISING AWARENESS.

Seriously, FFS :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here