Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone read the argus today for news on Vicente? [merged]

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I know he's coming towards the end of his career and maybe injury prone, but he has played for one club for the last 10 years and has just relocated himself and his family to a new country where he has to learn a new language and a new way of living. It isn't necessarily all about playing football, we don't know what is going on off the pitch which may be causing issues for him. As a manager, I would prefer to have a player who is fully focussed on his game and not pre-occupied by other problems. I would guess that the club are giving him all the assistance that he needs and it may take time.

I seem to recall that when Glenn Murray joined us, he took time to settle down south and that led to him missing games (and even putting in a transfer request I seem to recall), but once he had got sorted he started to make a difference.

Give it time people, we may get to see the best of Vicente yet.......

and don't forget to put the carrots & mince pies out for Rudolph & Santa on Xmas Eve

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
The same midfield that seemed (to me at least) to struggle much more without Harley v Forest? Or a different one?

Barnes was far too deep on the weekend, it creates the same situation. Can't even hold the ball up and doesn't find the pockets of space, poor movement, poor positioning, not enough energy and drive. Him and Harley are very similar in my eyes and the only thing worse than playing one of them in the midfield, is playing both of them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm building an Albion "Latino Signings That Never Quite Made It" XI. Vicente's cemented his place alongside Battipiedi, Baz and Pinamonte. Reyes is showing promise...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm building an Albion "Latino Signings That Never Quite Made It" XI. Vicente's cemented his place alongside Battipiedi, Baz and Pinamonte. Reyes is showing promise...

What a stupid thing to say.

.. did you not see Baz's pen against Woking? He made it alright buddy.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Barnes was far too deep on the weekend, it creates the same situation. Can't even hold the ball up and doesn't find the pockets of space, poor movement, poor positioning, not enough energy and drive. Him and Harley are very similar in my eyes and the only thing worse than playing one of them in the midfield, is playing both of them.

Not quite sure how anybody could find Barnes and Harley similar.
Barnes works hard and runs around a lot without little end product.
Harley is a playmaker who when with Exeter appeared to be very gifted with two good feet, personally i think he will come good.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Federico Turienzo anyone ?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I know he's coming towards the end of his career and maybe injury prone, but he has played for one club for the last 10 years and has just relocated himself and his family to a new country where he has to learn a new language and a new way of living. It isn't necessarily all about playing football, we don't know what is going on off the pitch which may be causing issues for him. As a manager, I would prefer to have a player who is fully focussed on his game and not pre-occupied by other problems. I would guess that the club are giving him all the assistance that he needs and it may take time.

I seem to recall that when Glenn Murray joined us, he took time to settle down south and that led to him missing games (and even putting in a transfer request I seem to recall), but once he had got sorted he started to make a difference.

Give it time people, we may get to see the best of Vicente yet.......
My heart bleeds:glare:
The man is picking up good bloody money for nothing and you want us to give sympathy out,everyweek he is training,getting fitter,to tired etc etc etc the list is endless,he's a grown man and spain is 1hr 30mins away so thats no excuse.

He should think about retiring even though he's only 30,no club will risk it unless its pay as you play.He is a class act but seriously i will be shocked to see him play more than 2 more matches.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
My heart bleeds:glare:
The man is picking up good bloody money for nothing and you want us to give sympathy out,everyweek he is training,getting fitter,to tired etc etc etc the list is endless,he's a grown man and spain is 1hr 30mins away so thats no excuse.

He should think about retiring even though he's only 30,no club will risk it unless its pay as you play.He is a class act but seriously i will be shocked to see him play more than 2 more matches.

I'm not saying we should give sympathy out. Yes, I agree he's on bloody good money and we're currently not getting a return. I don't know the reasons he's not playing, I'm merely suggesting another angle to the debate that there may be other issues affecting him that we're not aware of. As I pointed out, it was the same with Glen Murray when he joined us.

I take it that you have never had personal problems that have affected your performance at work?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think we can all agree,that however good the player is , if for whatever reason he is not playing then he is not helping our club,although i also agree that he could be helping Harley as he has improved.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
what do you base that on? When he played he was absolute class, up for it and exactly what we needed but still only moving towards match fitness. Fail to see how injured equates with not having the stomach for it? Seems to be thrown around at any recent recruit who misses a few games. Gus seems to have a policy of not rushing players back, which has to be sensible. Only problem is we get reports of them maybe being ready weeks before he actually picks them. Anyway Vicente is class we're lacking, so please let's not make him yet another player that people sit on their fat arses and casually write off :wrong:

Nail on head. I believe some of the naysayers on here will have changed their tune come May.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
There is a slightly different way of looking at this the majority of our creative midfielders are young and should only improve especially if the have the likes of Vicente around during training. I know it would be better if he played but may be Gus was a little wiser than some credit him for he might have been well aware Vicente would only play half a dozen games but brought him more for the influence on the rest of the squad. No insider info just a thought.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
There is a slightly different way of looking at this the majority of our creative midfielders are young and should only improve especially if the have the likes of Vicente around during training. I know it would be better if he played but may be Gus was a little wiser than some credit him for he might have been well aware Vicente would only play half a dozen games but brought him more for the influence on the rest of the squad. No insider info just a thought.
Yeah but vicente is an attack minded player and we don't know how to attack,but paying that sort of money a week for a bit of influence is silly and i doubt he even speaks english.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm not saying we should give sympathy out. Yes, I agree he's on bloody good money and we're currently not getting a return. I don't know the reasons he's not playing, I'm merely suggesting another angle to the debate that there may be other issues affecting him that we're not aware of. As I pointed out, it was the same with Glen Murray when he joined us.

I take it that you have never had personal problems that have affected your performance at work?
This is a football club not a bloody health clinic for crying out load,if he has mental or physical problems he needs to see the right people.

BHA FC is not a charity

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did I miss something? How much are we paying Vicente ?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
What where the terms of his contract? Could it be switched to a Pay as you Play, just an idea but may be more of an incentive.

Seems a lot of money for very little return, I not questioning his ability as his CV speaks volumes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can someone enlighten me as to how much we are paying Vicente, I appear to be the only one who doesn't have a clue and is it possible he is already on pay as you play deal??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here