Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone read the argus today for news on Vicente? [merged]

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I know I'll get burnt at the stake for saying this, but I would prefer to stick with Harley now as he is definitely improving. Vicente doesn't seem to have the stomach for it.
what do you base that on? When he played he was absolute class, up for it and exactly what we needed but still only moving towards match fitness. Fail to see how injured equates with not having the stomach for it? Seems to be thrown around at any recent recruit who misses a few games. Gus seems to have a policy of not rushing players back, which has to be sensible. Only problem is we get reports of them maybe being ready weeks before he actually picks them. Anyway Vicente is class we're lacking, so please let's not make him yet another player that people sit on their fat arses and casually write off :wrong:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
am i the only one who finds the secrecy and misinformation that comes out from the management somewhat bizarre, unnecessary and frankly f***ing irritating?

"Manager plays his cards close to his chest" shocker.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Very strange post. If you think we should stick with Harley then fair enough, but to say that Vicente doesn't have the stomach for it is odd, as you have absolutely no idea on his fitness / motivation etc, you're just making it up. Does Hoskins not have the stomach for it as well? What about Buckley?

Surely what you actually mean is that he has injury problems?

I just keep harking back to Sid Lowe's words on the Guardian Football Weekly Podcast the week Vicente signed; something along the lines of - - a lot of Vicente's 'injury' problems aren't actually physical; the inference being his motivation/having his 'head' in the right place?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I know he's coming towards the end of his career and maybe injury prone, but he has played for one club for the last 10 years and has just relocated himself and his family to a new country where he has to learn a new language and a new way of living. It isn't necessarily all about playing football, we don't know what is going on off the pitch which may be causing issues for him. As a manager, I would prefer to have a player who is fully focussed on his game and not pre-occupied by other problems. I would guess that the club are giving him all the assistance that he needs and it may take time.

I seem to recall that when Glenn Murray joined us, he took time to settle down south and that led to him missing games (and even putting in a transfer request I seem to recall), but once he had got sorted he started to make a difference.

Give it time people, we may get to see the best of Vicente yet.......

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I just keep harking back to Sid Lowe's words on the Guardian Football Weekly Podcast the week Vicente signed; something along the lines of - - a lot of Vicente's 'injury' problems aren't actually physical; the inference being his motivation/having his 'head' in the right place?

And that is the only part of this that concerns me. However, that all came from the medical staff at Valencia suggesting that his injuries were in his head, something he disagreed with so strongly that he went to the press and slated his own clubs medical staff, saying that they were not doing their job properly. So he clearly doesn't think it's in his head. I hope he's right.

If he didn't have injury problems he would be playing for Man City, not Brighton & Hove Albion. He is never going to play every game for us, but if we could somehow have him as our Ledley King type player then that would be amazing. If we could get 3 or 4 games out of him and then give him a few games off to recover, then do the same again, he would give us such a massive boost. And it could actually help Harley as well, learning from him, getting a few games and then watching him again for a bit before playing again.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I know I'll get burnt at the stake for saying this, but I would prefer to stick with Harley now as he is definitely improving. Vicente doesn't seem to have the stomach for it.

Not at all. I'm one of the few who kept faith in Harley, actually I think it was only me, but he IS improving and deserves a continuing role in our midfield.

Would also love to see Vicente again too!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We can have faith in Harley medium / long term once he's settled in the side AND agree many of his performances SOFAR have been dire. They are not mutually exclusive.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Jesus christ, Ryan Harley?! The lackadaisical pony whos about as involved in the game as the ball boys, pull another one. Every time Harley plays, especially with Barnes deep in the midfield we get absolutely dominated and are non-existent in the middle of the park.

Vicente is on another level, anyone who thought he would play week in and week out is deluded. We will be lucky to get another 4 combined starting/sub appearences out of him but I'm still pleased he's here because he holds the ball up better than any other player we have and makes distributing killer passes look completely effortless. Apart from his fitness and age now, 8 years ago he was the genuine article, something Harley will never be ffs

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Jesus christ, Ryan Harley?! The lackadaisical pony whos about as involved in the game as the ball boys, pull another one. Every time Harley plays, especially with Barnes deep in the midfield we get absolutely dominated and are non-existent in the middle of the park.

The same midfield that seemed (to me at least) to struggle much more without Harley v Forest? Or a different one?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Very strange post. If you think we should stick with Harley then fair enough, but to say that Vicente doesn't have the stomach for it is odd, as you have absolutely no idea on his fitness / motivation etc, you're just making it up. Does Hoskins not have the stomach for it as well? What about Buckley?

Surely what you actually mean is that he has injury problems?
It's merely my opinion, no need to get upset by it. I would say its different to Hoskins and Buckley as they have both featured since injury. Vicente has completely dropped off the radar, is he even in the country? What was the injury he first picked up in October? Personally I couldn't give a toss if we don't see him again, it was a gamble that doesn't seem to working out. As I said previously, this is my opinion, please don't let it upset you.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's merely my opinion, no need to get upset by it. I would say its different to Hoskins and Buckley as they have both featured since injury. Vicente has completely dropped off the radar, is he even in the country? What was the injury he first picked up in October? Personally I couldn't give a toss if we don't see him again, it was a gamble that doesn't seem to working out. As I said previously, this is my opinion, please don't let it upset you.

I cant really see where I've got upset, I just said it was an odd thing to say, because you have no idea of the facts. If you had said we should forget about him because he is injury prone, then that would have made sense.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Now I had not heard of Vincente before his move here. Honest. The two Spanish lasses at work though are begging for my Season Ticket when he is fully fit.

In Gus I trust.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Vicente was a spanish international and one of the best players in the world a few years ago. He would not sign for us unless he had serious injury problems which meant he could not play at the highest level. Its no surprise we have only seen him a handful of times but for people to be questioning whether or not he is up for the fight or has the stomach for it is ridiculous. We don't know the ins and outs but I don't think there is much more to it than he is just injury prone.

Agree with this :moo:
I also think the fact that he doesn't speak any english doesn't help matters at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here