Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty can you please explain to me what a window licker is?

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
So why arent people getting on Hawesys back?

Is Harty the easy target or something?

The way I read it was that Harty made reference to "licking windows" initially. And he directed it to, as I said, the "Adams-Out" section of NSC.

There was a brief pause "on-air" where it seemed like Harty had realised what he'd just said.

Hawesy cut in with something along the lines of "Er, yes, Windowlickers give us a call on 08..."

Hawesy was in a way quoting what Harty had said. However Harty was aiming his insult at people with an agenda in mind, Hawesy didn't appear to be doing that.

Just how I saw it...:shrug:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wonderful thing about the modern media is that the majority of the people listening wouldn't have 1) heard it or 2) understood the connotation

Now another form of media has picked it up....

1) every has

2) everyone does

.. and everyone is now reacting to the reaction rather than the intention.

He's apologised, within the same programme and that's good enough for me.

Silly comment, quickly corrected. Fair enough.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Why didn't he just call people 'Mugs' or 'Idiots' instead? I like Harty, but surely he can be professional & curb his down-the-boozer with his mates type spiel FFS?? ???

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
just an opnion

Harty is Albion through & through, how many of you make "throw away remarks" occasionally?

cut him some slack

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Didn't hear it. On the face of it sounds bad.
But keep in mind Ian is a decent bloke who did an awful lot during the dark days (as did many others). Might not be everyone's cup of tea but not deserving of some of the more outraged comments / demands on this thread.
Give him a break I say.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
FFS, it's an expression of speech, nothing more. NSC these days is taking itself far too seriously, so stop being a bunch of .......

.......daffodils

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hart has always seen things in black and white imo. He has the courage of his convictions and goes out on a limb to express them, he felt strongly enough to become far more involved in the dark days than the vast majority of us and can only be applauded for his actions imo.

I think his opinions about anyone doubting Adams are no different but imo he is coming close to being an Adams sycophant at the moment, as he seems oblivious to any shortcomings in Adams 2nd tenure here. Hence his outspoken and sometimes ill advised comments this season.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
So he said "go and lick a window" whats the big deal?? Yes the Adams out brigade is stupid at this stage of the season, but its not like he called someone a spastic, black, jew, disabled, fat or a nazi. Its not even directly insulting them in any way, shape or form. It is just an expression that insinuates, not a direct insult.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Give Harty a break - we all say things in the heat of the moment and at the end of the day he apologised in the same show. Ive met Harty loads of times and he really is a genuine nice bloke. Yes it was on BBC radio but we have all said things in the past in places we shouldnt have. We are all human after all. BBC SCR would not be the same without him!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I work in radio, and if I said something like that on air I'd EXPECT to be sacked.

I suppose in hospital radio it would be in far worse taste for starters.

i cannot believe the mock indignation on this thread. Hilarious.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Same old story happens every fortnight with Harty, he needs to remember simple rules when he is on the radio. Same old arguments arise that it is all acceptable and okay because he is passionate and a true fan. Same rules would apply to me, states in the programme anyone using foul or abussive language will be removed, will Harty ever learn to get on with what he is good at, chatting with fans and letting the callers debate the issues, time will tell. Still who would be avalible to take over at short notice and on a temporay contract...er Jo Kinnear?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Why didn't he just call people 'Mugs' or 'Idiots' instead? I like Harty, but surely he can be professional & curb his down-the-boozer with his mates type spiel FFS?? ???

What she said. I also like Harty but sometimes it's as if he's learned a new 'funny' phrase and is just showing off.

Would anyone get away with using that term 'in a work environment'?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
My housemate told me a joke about retards yesterday, am I allowed to post it? of will I get a ban?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So he said "go and lick a window" whats the big deal?? Yes the Adams out brigade is stupid at this stage of the season, but its not like he called someone a spastic, black, jew, disabled, fat or a nazi. Its not even directly insulting them in any way, shape or form. It is just an expression that insinuates, not a direct insult.

I think Harty is great and he can say that in the pub but on air with 25000 people listening it is not ok. Imagine Jeremey Paxman interviewing Gordon Brown and Brown says something stupid. Do you think Paxman would say " Mr Brown you are a window licker ".

Not really.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think Harty is great and he can say that in the pub but on air with 25000 people listening it is not ok. Imagine Jeremey Paxman interviewing Gordon Brown and Brown says something stupid. Do you think Paxman would say " Mr Brown you are a window licker ".

Not really.

but Harty didnt specifically call anyone a window licker*, he just said "why dont you go and lick a window" as a general comment

* I didnt hear the show, I am going on what people have said on here

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Isn't that the same thing ?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here