Hardest School in Brighton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'm telling you Queen's Park was one of the softest.

And Brighton College Junior School wasn't as soft as people think... not many schools have students ganging up on teachers. Mr Silk had it coming the w****ker!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
private schools are full of PONCES

been to one have you.....

abiding memeories of boarding school -

being locked ina tuckbox for four hours

being hunted by two older boıys with airguns

how close can you get to the head with a baseball bat without hitting.... ooops

chicken on the railine.... only for newboys under 'guidance' from their elders

fagging was a reality and let me tell you ponces are the worst type of sadistic nazis!

barney

Jul 31, 2006

fagging was a reality and let me tell you ponces are the worst type of sadistic nazis!

i know many people who went to private schools, and what butchy states is true. don't try and kid yourself otherwise with your poncey tales

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2

No never went to one but played them at rugby a fair bit and took great pleasure in ending them.

Sounds like hell to me though. And I dont actually know what a 'tuckbox' is

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
No never went to one but played them at rugby a fair bit and took great pleasure in ending them.

Sounds like hell to me though.

Glad you did mate... went to both state and private schools and hated the private. But I saw thw worst type of sadism there..... we had a very gifted american player in our team and against one school they deliberately took him out and smashed his jaw (with the stick)....... totally deliberate and with no hint of remorse.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Sounds like hell to me though. And I dont actually know what a 'tuckbox' is

By the way.... if you wanted to live you needed a tuckbox.... food was godawful so you put your supplies in out... big large trunk.

ih8palarse

Jul 30, 2008
By the way.... if you wanted to live you needed a tuckbox.... food was godawful so you put your supplies in out... big large trunk.

i just finished a private school and there pussys... but they are good at rugby...and i agree all i eat is my own food shitty polish cant cook...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
i just finished a private school and there pussys... but they are good at rugby...and i agree all i eat is my own food shitty polish cant cook...

I'm not one to pick on other posters' grammar or spelling but I really feel that those fees were wasted on you.

Willo

Nov 19, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand.
I was there......

Falmer was an amalgamation of 2 schools in 1974, Stanmer secondary, and Westlain Grammar, i went to Westlain, and left the year they joined to make what is now Falmer, having witnessed the goings on i can tell you Stanmer was pretty rough.In answer to your question i would say that yes, it's Falmer by a mile.

It was tough. I went from 4A Westlain Grammar to being one of about three in a Stanmer dominated class. The other two were girls. Went home with a couple of shiners but on reflection the change in enviroment stood me well and 35 years on all is good. I do feel a little miffed at getting myself aligned among with some of the so called hard boys but in reality it was a move towards self preservation.

Before the amalgmation I remember scoring the only try for W/lain v Stanmer in a 7-3 win and as I tried to get up the Doc Martens rained in. And within 6 months I was class mated with the fu**ers.

After 18 months in Falmer I emigrated to NZ.

Be interested in hearing from fellow attendees from that era. 1970-74.
Where did the hard lads end up? Anyone make it in football? Where is the girl I loved? Where's me mates? Still great times, great memories, We lost 1-0 to Varndean in the Barlow cup final. Still got the programme written by Chris Tucknott, where's he now? and the winner of the cup final song contest was Martin van Gent. We should have won, But we froze. Apparently the lads won it the year later without me.
I heard Nick Schilcamp, sports department head at the time died in a skiing accident. Now there was a real teacher. RIP & thanks.
Well amazing what sites you come across when you google Woodingdean.
I'll pop back.
One thing I do remember was the hard lads brothers at Falmer all used to hang out around the bumper cars on the seafront in the summer.

I was also there at the previous mentioned :
"Moulsecoombe Seniors in the 70's always fighting with Stanmer and Westlain, I remember a mass brawl between all 3 in the Wild Park, Police with dogs had to break it up and confiscated bike chains, hammers, rounders bats etc"

When the cops rushed in we sat down on a wall, as we had no weapons we thought we were safe. We (me and another Westlain lad Kev), just sat there (like scared rabbits truth be known) as tools were flying everywhere. The weapons mentioned above, being chucked in the bushes etc. As we were not running the cops ignored us and eventually we sauntered off to the closest bus stop. In a strange twist, a few harder lads mentioned they repected how we never bottled and ran. We were shitting. Still suppose that reveals (hoping I'm safe in NZ lol) the difference between Westlain & Stanmer in those days. Important thing was we got a little respect. Made school life a lot easier I'm telling you.

Thanks for the chance to rant.
Fav Albion Game Brighton 2 v 3 Wolves. League cup. My dad took me age 9? (me not me dad). What ever happened to Alan Duffy?

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Patcham Fawcett 84-88

Was a very tough school, being all boys it was not much fun. I have also heard
a lot of the lads who left in 88 have died through drugs and violence.
We would have fights with Stringer and there were baseball bats and anything
you could get your hands on.
The must was Lois Jeans, Lyle & Scott or Pringle Jumper and Fred Perry shirt and off course the perm at the back.
About 25% of pupils smoked and most of the techers were crap who got chucked in there because nobody else wanted them. Also with Fawcett is was the last place you were sent before being sent to dreaded Woodside School.
I always remember our History Teacher Mrs Dockerill, she would wear stockings and suspenders and sit on the table at the front of the class whilst teaching us. We could all see she was often not wearing knickers. I always wonder if she really was teasing us 13-16 year olds or she just did not have a clue. She was very horny. Her husband was a lucky guy. Or maybe she was a paedo women, It's just a question I will never find the answer to.

Only just seen this thread, Patcham Fawcett should definatly be on the list, well above Stringer and Varndean, i was there 85-90.I remeber Dockrill, also miss Jones....a lovely welsh lady, think she was a maths teacher.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Downlands School, Hassocks. Now that really was the school of hard knocks. Unbelievably Algie also went there.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
I survived a cumulative 12 years of Moulsecoombe and Falmer High (1972-84). Getting to and from school was hard enough, let alone spending hours avoiding the violence de jour in the school. Only occassionally would we organize an away day and it was always to Fawcett and it was always us on top. I seem to recall ties being the trophy "scalps" to prove how hard you were.

The problem with Falmer really wasn't us scoombers. Someone on high managed to collect all of the worst scallys from Woodingdean, Bevendean and Coldean and stick them with us at Falmer. The notorious scoomber families, Clarks, Dawes, etc weren't that high on the Al-Qaeda ranking system of hardness because no one ever went close to upsetting them. The real nutters were the imports from the various "deans".

Too many stories of wanton vandalism, beatings, thieving, drinking and drugs to share in this thread. I survived Brighton's equivalent of hell, but it is funny once you've experienced the "real" hell in places like Jamaica, China, East LA, North Philly, Egypt that it all seems so unbelievably tame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports