Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hands up we were crap

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Honestly can't see it.

Keepers: must be pretty close. I'd rather have TK, but Speroni's been pretty consistent for you for a long time. 0-0

Left back: Bridge or Parr? No debate. Bridge by miles.

Right back: Bruno (or Calderon) both miles ahead of Richards on that showing.

CBs; Greer and Upson or Ramage and Delaney? Reasonably even, I'd say. Happy with ours.

DM: Bridcutt is younger and better than Jedinak.

AM: Orlandi v Williams. I really like Orlandi, but Williams looks a terrific prospect. I'd definirtely choose Williams.

CM: Lopez or Digakoi? No contest.

Wingers: Zaha over LuaLua, accepted, as Zaha has done it far more consistently than Kaz
Wingers: Buckley or Bolasie? Buckley thanks.

Striker: Ulloa or Murray. Leo is a good few years younger, which is handy, and has started in English football with 8 goals in 11 games, Can't argue with GMs THIRTY goals though. Fair play. (I still wouldn't swap them though).

(And our line up was missing Vicente, Mackail-Smith, Barnes, El Abd, Hoskins and Bruno, so don't bother moaning about any of yours being mising :thumbsup: )

No debate with Bridge/Parr. Obviously you'll take the PIG and I'll take Jules. At CB I think Upson is better than Dr Damage/Delaney, but I'd take either of those over Greer/El Abd. At RB we've got Ward as first choice, who I'd take over either of yours. I'm sorry but I can't see anyone outside the top 10 of the Premier League being better in defensive midfield than Jedinak. If we don't go up he'll be playing in the Premiership as a starter next year. I'm not a great fan of KG, I much prefer Garvan who is fantastic.

I think you're better in defense and we're better in attack. Midfield is close but I think we tip that as well.

Obviously if you only take Sunday's game into consideration we're awful everywhere, but you don't hover around the top 2 all season like we have playing like that!

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Brighton thoroughly deserved the 3 points on the day. I think we've got a better quality of player in our squad but (Wilfried aside) I don't think any of them looked even Championship standard in the second half.
As I said on the day, I think we had the better of the first 40 and poor finishing meant that we weren't 1-0 up. When you scored twice inside a couple of minutes it completely killed the game. Your first was a gift from some terrible defending, your second was a piece of world class quality.

I think that Palace are the second best side in the league this season, and considering how "easy" our remaining fixtures appear to be compared to the teams around us, I'd expect to finish second this year. However our second half performance was utterly disgraceful and you thoroughly deserved 3 points overall. It's a shame because we have some absolutely cracking players, and usually fantastic team spirit. Maybe the occasion got to them, because usually they play with passion, togetherness and a whole lot of skill too.

As for your players, David Lopez reminds me of how Moritz usually plays. Has a phenomenal set piece (Moritz scored 2 free kicks like David's in a single game against Wolves) and is very talented on the ball. Not the quickest, but his passing is solid and will dictate games. Bridcutt was very good and composed in the middle. I thought Williams had the better of him until he was subbed off (we believe due to an injury) at HT, but after that he was completely solid. Lua Lua and Buckley had a great day against our fullbacks who were utterly appalling. Zaha was beating his marker every time in the first half but in the second half he had no supply, and nobody to pass to either. He was forced to run with the ball until he eventually lost it. Bridge did well against him, but if we weren't 3-0 down, Zaha would have had a much better game.
Glenn was completely anonymous which is a surprise because he has been fantastic this year. Ulloa played exactly like Glenn has been for us this season.

If Ulloa can repeat his performance every game, he'll be fantastic for you. I have to say I'd prefer Glenn Murray in my squad, but only because he has already proven over a season that he can score 30+ goals. He is the best striker I've seen at Palace for a long time - possibly even better than AJ. On the day though he was completely outshone.

Overall I'm gutted that we saved our worst performance in 6 months for bloody Brighton, but it would be impossible to argue that the better team on the day didn't win. I'd still say we're a better team overall, and hopefully we'll prove that by getting automatic promotion!

See although I disagree with a few of your points that post is a good one & fair enough.

Player for player I personally don't think you have a better squad but I understand that it's your team & your opinion.
I myself think it's too close to call for anyone to be able to 100% believe that they have the superior squad although being brighton I (like you) sway towards my team.
Would I swap ulloa for Murray ? I wouldn't even have to ponder on that one, it would be a straight up no.
It's all subjective really & nobody would blame you for favouring your players,just as we favour ours.
It's the excuses from SOME palace fans I find so irritating.
Also zaha is an amazing talent and did look spectacular at times in the first half but I'm in the very front row of the west stand near the corner of the north stand so I had a very close view of his runs down your left wing & I can tell you now that as good as all that looked he never really produced anything that looked too threatening.
I'm not taking nothing away from him because he's undoubtedly an immense talent but didnt really have any end product on sunday once he'd pulled of his trick flicks & step overs.
I was impressed when he lost the ball in our area & ended up on 1 knee & somehow still managed to keep digging the ball out & retain possession as we were trying to clear it but even then he was moving away from goal, could not pass as he was surrounded and had about 3 brighton players goal side of him so again it wasn't really threatening for us but he did well & showed quick feet to keep winning the ball back.
Our defenders were just standing off of him in the first half & letting him do his fancy stuff then just blocked most of the crosses he tried to put in or just made the tackle after he'd finished his stopovers & started to try & make the run into the box.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Thing is we don't play the style of football where we would be constantly bombarding your goal, our style is all about possession & build up, we are known for this style of play under gus, its no secret despite what you have heard on THAT podcast that claims we play hoof ball.
We definitely dominated possession and or closed down your players as soon as they got possession & wouldn't let them settle on the ball.
This is why they had a poor second half. It wasn't happening for you because we didn't let it.
It's annoying to me that people are somehow trying to make out that this comprehensive defeat was solely down to how palace or did not perform & had nothing to do with the fact that on Sunday we were easily better than palace.

It's not that you turned up & immediately started having a shitter of a game & we took advantage of your lacklustre squad. The reason you looked so bad in the 2nd half was because (and you might not like this) you couldn't handle us on the day & we were too much for you both defensively and offensively.
You could see the palace players getting more & more frustrated because they didn't have an answer.
I'm not saying this will always be the case but on Sunday it certainly was.

Also I want to know what you palace fans make of our squad being called bully's. is this the general feeling among your fans or just the bitter rambling of 1 bad loser ?
Somehow I can't picture so called "nancy boys" being bully's ..... It's a bit of a strange mixture of traits that seems contradictory to me.

Oh & 3 goals from 4 shots is a brilliant stat in my book.... I'd call that pretty bloody clinical wouldn't you ?

Or maybe just maybe you looked good/we looked poor in the 2nd half because we had to bring on 2 offensive players and had to chase the game. This completely disrupted our shape, rhythm and width. Holloway gambled, he had to get more goals on the pitch but it didn't work. In hindsight it would have better to leave it and try and get 1 back before 75 minutes then throw the sink at you. I know this is a classic if my auntie had bolllox she'd be my uncle post but it would have been such a different game if it had been 0-0 or just 1-0 at HT, the first half had been very even for the first 43 mins and Williams was the best player on the pitch.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Murray did have a header in the first half, on about 30 minutes, from a cross from the right. It was only about about 6 yards out, but it honestly wasn't a great chance - he ad to kind of climb over the defender to get to it, and couldn't get a clean contact on it. It went gently, to the left of the goal, low down.

I don't think it was 'a 3-0'. I honestly think 4 or 5 would have been a more accurate representation of the gulf in quality (on the day).

Come on Hans, I'm appreciate you want your own 5-0 to erase 2002 but now you're being silly mate! :moo:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Or maybe just maybe you looked good/we looked poor in the 2nd half because we had to bring on 2 offensive players and had to chase the game. This completely disrupted our shape, rhythm and width. Holloway gambled, he had to get more goals on the pitch but it didn't work. In hindsight it would have better to leave it and try and get 1 back before 75 minutes then throw the sink at you. I know this is a classic if my auntie had bolllox she'd be my uncle post but it would have been such a different game if it had been 0-0 or just 1-0 at HT, the first half had been very even for the first 43 mins and Williams was the best player on the pitch.

If Dougie was still your manager and not Wurzel it may have been a different game in the 2nd half. Wurzel made the wrong decisions at half time.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
If Dougie was still your manager and not Wurzel it may have been a different game in the 2nd half. Wurzel made the wrong decisions at half time.

I bet no Palace fan (or Brighton fan) in the stadium could understand the Williams sub, crazy. Anyway, enough of this, I doubt we would have come back anyway and the better team won on the day.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think that Palace are the second best side in the league this season, and considering how "easy" our remaining fixtures appear to be compared to the teams around us, I'd expect to finish second this year.
Overall I'm gutted that we saved our worst performance in 6 months for bloody Brighton, but it would be impossible to argue that the better team on the day didn't win. I'd still say we're a better team overall, and hopefully we'll prove that by getting automatic promotion!

For me, your away form recently means you are now nowhere near the second best in the league.

Probably not your worst performance as that was probably a standard away performance from you.

You really need to sort it out fast as there is no way you will get second at the moment IMHO.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011

best palace player on the pitch by far dont know if id say he was the best on the pitch if you're including our players though but yeah either way he was definetly up there but there were some very good performances from our boys too.
first half was very even sided & you couldnt really tell who was going nab the 1st goal but it just so happened we put away 2 of our chances before you made that change which threw your shape so to be honest you cant really blame hollaway for the fact that you were 2 goals down by the end of the 1st (the half you all agree that you were at your strongest) yes it was even but we got the job done & you didnt. come on mate yeah you could have had a better 2nd if williams stayed on but its a pretty big assumption to say you would have gone on to beat us because like I said we put 2 past you while you had williams on or were holding your shape or whatever.
im man enough to admit we looked shit up at your place & that was because you outclassed us greer or no greer but you lot should just be honest and come to terms with the fact that you were nowhere near as good as us on sunday & it was your turn to be outclassed

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011

**** hollaways decisions !! we were 2-0 up before any decisions were made.
we didnt just win because williams didnt play in the 2nd half or because palace didnt do this or didnt do that.... why is this win all down to palaces performance ? we were better & its as simple as that. our players deserve the credit for not giving palace a sniff and demoralising them by out scoring & out playing them. stop over analysing the palace squad & hollaway & just face it..... you wernt as good and thats not me trying to wind you up its just something you cant really deny unless you are jist trying to convince yourselves

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
uploadfromtaptalk1363809904000.jpg

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Thought I would start this thread so other Palace fans can come here and put their hands up and say we were crap on Sunday after about 35 promising minutes. The better team won on the day but we look forward to bouncing back against Birmingham and still finishing second.

So were we really. On a better performance we would have REALLY humiliated palace.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
So were we really. On a better performance we would have REALLY humiliated palace.

Hardly relevant - on a better performance we mightn't have lost at all.

For me, your away form recently means you are now nowhere near the second best in the league.

Probably not your worst performance as that was probably a standard away performance from you.

You really need to sort it out fast as there is no way you will get second at the moment IMHO.

It absolutely wasn't a standard away performance. That was by far the worst performance I've seen all season, and I've seen most of our games. Also, if we weren't anywhere near the second best in the league we wouldn't be 3 points away from second spot.

Looking at our remaining games, we'll be favourites to win every week. Birmingham, Leicester, Ipswich, Blackburn, P'boro, Millwall etc. are all worse sides than we are.

We will have some crucial players back from injury, so we can stop playing with a reserve defence and we'll have Garvan back who has the most assists in our team despite missing the last three months.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Thought I would start this thread so other Palace fans can come here and put their hands up and say we were crap on Sunday after about 35 promising minutes. The better team won on the day but we look forward to bouncing back against Birmingham and still finishing second.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Looking at our remaining games, we'll be favourites to win every week. Birmingham, Leicester, Ipswich, Blackburn, P'boro, Millwall etc. are all worse sides than we are.

The problem is its difficult to have a reasonable discussion with you because you think your team is better than everyone else and your players are too.

No doubt you still think you are better than us individually and collectively after Sunday because you just had a off day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here