Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hands up we were crap

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So i see that Trig is now feeling a bit cocky/and up for gloating after previously saying he wasn't like that? ???
Firstly, have I really said that I don't gloat and I'm not cocky? Seriously? Go on, find a quote from me and I'll apologise.
Secondly, I wasn't gloating in my post, I simply said you don't find it as easy against 11.

i wasn't that impressed by you if i'm honest, 4 clear chances and scored 3 of them
What does it take for a team to impress you though? That's the most you've been beaten by all season. And it wasn't 4 chances - Speroni made the Ulloa/Buckley double save, KLL put a ball in that Orlandi could have scored from (he flicked it and Speroni collected easily), KLL had a good chance to make it 4 nil, which he put over the bar.

p.s How the hell did you remember/find that post i made about Forest a while ago
Don't ask :D

I still think they are the team to beat in the PO, doesn't mean they will win it though.
I don't disagree. We've got to go there next and I'm not confident. It looks like two places in the play-offs for Forest, Leicester and us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
saying something along the lines of "Whatever happened today, Brighton fans will be taking their kids to the Amex in forty years time and their children will be asking 'Daddy, who was the first team to win here?'".

No, no they won't! Nobody would ever, ever ask that question
You're right, they won't. I have no idea who won the first game at the Goldstone, Selhurst, the Withdean or anywhere else. I've never been to a ground and asked that question and I don't know anyone who has. But if anyone did ever ask, the answer would be Brighton, then Tottenham, then Liverpool.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You're right, they won't. I have no idea who won the first game at the Goldstone, Selhurst, the Withdean or anywhere else. I've never been to a ground and asked that question and I don't know anyone who has. But if anyone did ever ask, the answer would be Brighton, then Tottenham, then Liverpool.

Exactly. I hate it if we lose to Palace, but it really is entirely irrelevant to me exactly WHEN that happens to be. I find it completely bizarre that it seems to mean so much to them.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Firstly, have I really said that I don't gloat and I'm not cocky? Seriously? Go on, find a quote from me and I'll apologise.
Secondly, I wasn't gloating in my post, I simply said you don't find it as easy against 11.

What does it take for a team to impress you though? That's the most you've been beaten by all season. And it wasn't 4 chances - Speroni made the Ulloa/Buckley double save, KLL put a ball in that Orlandi could have scored from (he flicked it and Speroni collected easily), KLL had a good chance to make it 4 nil, which he put over the bar.

Don't ask :D

I don't disagree. We've got to go there next and I'm not confident. It looks like two places in the play-offs for Forest, Leicester and us.

Pretty sure you have previously made out you're not a gloater but can't find the post/can't be arsed to be honest! You can gloat all you like, it's been a while since you beat us and we have certainly lauded it over you on more than 1 occassion recently. But i'd still rather be 4th in the league than 7th! :thumbsup:

4 clear chances, you can't the count the Ulloa/Buckley one as 2 chances as it was one passage of play. The other chances you mentioned were not clear cut at all. We had 2 or 3 clear cut chances, Parr's shot, the near Upson OG header and Murray also missed an easy header. You deserved to win, no doubt, especially given our horrendous 2nd half performance but despite us playing the worst we have in 6 months, you didn't really carve us open time and time again and it wasn't a bombardment on our goal like a lot of you like to think it was, that's all i'm saying.

Yes, i agree with your point about the play-offs. But if Gus goes to Reading it will be a big blow and could derail your season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pretty sure you have previously made out you're not a gloater but can't find the post/can't be arsed to be honest!
Yeah I don't think you'd find anything. Gloating is certainly not beneath me.

But i'd still rather be 4th in the league than 7th! :thumbsup:
Of course.

4 clear chances, you can't the count the Ulloa/Buckley one as 2 chances as it was one passage of play.
I was counting that as one chance, just pointing out when it happened.
The other chances you mentioned were not clear cut at all.
I think the Orlandi one was.
We had 2 or 3 clear cut chances, Parr's shot, the near Upson OG header and Murray also missed an easy header.
Parr, yes (I think he thought he was passing it back to Speroni). Upson OG, you're kidding? You can't count that as a clear cut chance for you, as if you had some of the better play in the game. And I don't remember Murray missing an easy header, when was that?

you didn't really carve us open time and time again and it wasn't a bombardment on our goal like a lot of you like to think it was, that's all i'm saying.
It doesn't need to be a bombardment to be a drubbing. There wasn't a bombardment in the games that you won either.

Yes, i agree with your point about the play-offs. But if Gus goes to Reading it will be a big blow and could derail your season.
Yep, letting him go now seems like a bad idea.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah I don't think you'd find anything. Gloating is certainly not beneath me.

Of course.

I was counting that as one chance, just pointing out when it happened.
I think the Orlandi one was.
Parr, yes (I think he thought he was passing it back to Speroni). Upson OG, you're kidding? You can't count that as a clear cut chance for you, as if you had some of the better play in the game. And I don't remember Murray missing an easy header, when was that?

It doesn't need to be a bombardment to be a drubbing. There wasn't a bombardment in the games that you won either.

Yep, letting him go now seems like a bad idea.

Muzza's was in the first half.

Drubbing on the scoreboard, yes, in reality, no. You honestly think that was a 3-0?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Muzza's was in the first half.
Nope, still no idea. I've seen the extended highlights and still can't see it. Please post a link.

You honestly think that was a 3-0?
It didn't particularly flatter us. You can't argue that Lopez's free kick wasn't worthy of a goal, and equally, you can't argue that Palace's 'defending' for the third wasn't worthy of conceding one. Did you think the game at Selhurst (in your words) 'was a 3-0'?

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Nope, still no idea. I've seen the extended highlights and still can't see it. Please post a link.

It didn't particularly flatter us. You can't argue that Lopez's free kick wasn't worthy of a goal, and equally, you can't argue that Palace's 'defending' for the third wasn't worthy of conceding one. Did you think the game at Selhurst (in your words) 'was a 3-0'?

Muzza defo had a good chance, sure someone else will vouch for me.

Lopez free kick was class, perfect timing though for you.

The 3-0 at Selhurst is a weird one, we will never know what would have happened with 11 vs 11.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The 3-0 at Selhurst is a weird one, we will never know what would have happened with 11 vs 11.

Murray did have a header in the first half, on about 30 minutes, from a cross from the right. It was only about about 6 yards out, but it honestly wasn't a great chance - he ad to kind of climb over the defender to get to it, and couldn't get a clean contact on it. It went gently, to the left of the goal, low down.

I don't think it was 'a 3-0'. I honestly think 4 or 5 would have been a more accurate representation of the gulf in quality (on the day).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A result that needs two penalties is also open to interpretation by the referee whereas our 3 goals were open play.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't mind discussing it as 11 vs 10, sending Dunk off wasn't a terrible decision. But the first goal was from a corner that should have been a goal kick, and the second from a penalty that shouldn't have been (that boy Glenn dived like that for us a dozen times). The third pen was a correct decision, I guess Greer had had enough by then.

A result that needs two penalties is also open to interpretation by the referee whereas our 3 goals were open play.
One of ours wasn't from open play, but the only controversy over that free kick is whether DK should have walked.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One of ours wasn't from open play, but the only controversy over that free kick is whether DK should have walked.

Actually our third (by way of a beautiful six pass move) started from a free kick, that never should have been given.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Pretty sure you have previously made out you're not a gloater but can't find the post/can't be arsed to be honest! You can gloat all you like, it's been a while since you beat us and we have certainly lauded it over you on more than 1 occassion recently. But i'd still rather be 4th in the league than 7th! :thumbsup:

4 clear chances, you can't the count the Ulloa/Buckley one as 2 chances as it was one passage of play. The other chances you mentioned were not clear cut at all. We had 2 or 3 clear cut chances, Parr's shot, the near Upson OG header and Murray also missed an easy header. You deserved to win, no doubt, especially given our horrendous 2nd half performance but despite us playing the worst we have in 6 months, you didn't really carve us open time and time again and it wasn't a bombardment on our goal like a lot of you like to think it was, that's all i'm saying.

Thing is we don't play the style of football where we would be constantly bombarding your goal, our style is all about possession & build up, we are known for this style of play under gus, its no secret despite what you have heard on THAT podcast that claims we play hoof ball.
We definitely dominated possession and or closed down your players as soon as they got possession & wouldn't let them settle on the ball.
This is why they had a poor second half. It wasn't happening for you because we didn't let it.
It's annoying to me that people are somehow trying to make out that this comprehensive defeat was solely down to how palace or did not perform & had nothing to do with the fact that on Sunday we were easily better than palace.

It's not that you turned up & immediately started having a shitter of a game & we took advantage of your lacklustre squad. The reason you looked so bad in the 2nd half was because (and you might not like this) you couldn't handle us on the day & we were too much for you both defensively and offensively.
You could see the palace players getting more & more frustrated because they didn't have an answer.
I'm not saying this will always be the case but on Sunday it certainly was.

Also I want to know what you palace fans make of our squad being called bully's. is this the general feeling among your fans or just the bitter rambling of 1 bad loser ?
Somehow I can't picture so called "nancy boys" being bully's ..... It's a bit of a strange mixture of traits that seems contradictory to me.

Oh & 3 goals from 4 shots is a brilliant stat in my book.... I'd call that pretty bloody clinical wouldn't you ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't mind discussing it as 11 vs 10, sending Dunk off wasn't a terrible decision. But the first goal was from a corner that should have been a goal kick, and the second from a penalty that shouldn't have been (that boy Glenn dived like that for us a dozen times). The third pen was a correct decision, I guess Greer had had enough by then.

I think of a free kick as open play as opposed to a penalty or corner.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Actually our third (by way of a beautiful six pass move) started from a free kick, that never should have been given.
Debatable. If Inigo hadn't jumped, they'd have collided.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton thoroughly deserved the 3 points on the day. I think we've got a better quality of player in our squad but (Wilfried aside) I don't think any of them looked even Championship standard in the second half.
As I said on the day, I think we had the better of the first 40 and poor finishing meant that we weren't 1-0 up. When you scored twice inside a couple of minutes it completely killed the game. Your first was a gift from some terrible defending, your second was a piece of world class quality.

I think that Palace are the second best side in the league this season, and considering how "easy" our remaining fixtures appear to be compared to the teams around us, I'd expect to finish second this year. However our second half performance was utterly disgraceful and you thoroughly deserved 3 points overall. It's a shame because we have some absolutely cracking players, and usually fantastic team spirit. Maybe the occasion got to them, because usually they play with passion, togetherness and a whole lot of skill too.

As for your players, David Lopez reminds me of how Moritz usually plays. Has a phenomenal set piece (Moritz scored 2 free kicks like David's in a single game against Wolves) and is very talented on the ball. Not the quickest, but his passing is solid and will dictate games. Bridcutt was very good and composed in the middle. I thought Williams had the better of him until he was subbed off (we believe due to an injury) at HT, but after that he was completely solid. Lua Lua and Buckley had a great day against our fullbacks who were utterly appalling. Zaha was beating his marker every time in the first half but in the second half he had no supply, and nobody to pass to either. He was forced to run with the ball until he eventually lost it. Bridge did well against him, but if we weren't 3-0 down, Zaha would have had a much better game.
Glenn was completely anonymous which is a surprise because he has been fantastic this year. Ulloa played exactly like Glenn has been for us this season.

If Ulloa can repeat his performance every game, he'll be fantastic for you. I have to say I'd prefer Glenn Murray in my squad, but only because he has already proven over a season that he can score 30+ goals. He is the best striker I've seen at Palace for a long time - possibly even better than AJ. On the day though he was completely outshone.

Overall I'm gutted that we saved our worst performance in 6 months for bloody Brighton, but it would be impossible to argue that the better team on the day didn't win. I'd still say we're a better team overall, and hopefully we'll prove that by getting automatic promotion!

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Debatable. If Inigo hadn't jumped, they'd have collided.

Yeah but these decisions are always being given week in week out (we should know)
They have to deal with it once its been given no matter if its right or wrong & it was hardly near the goal was it, they allowed us to make 6 passes towards & across their area and didnt manage to track back in time /close down or tackle big Leo before he scored so they can hardly grumble

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I said on the day, I think we had the better of the first 40 and poor finishing meant that we weren't 1-0 up.
It was only Parr that had a decent chance, and he's not exactly a finisher is he.

Zaha was beating his marker every time in the first half but in the second half he had no supply
Our defenders were under strict instructions: 'don't bother to make a challenge, let's wait and see what he does', and he did nothing

if we weren't 3-0 down, Zaha would have had a much better game.
You weren't 3-0 down in the first half, and each of his attacks still amounted to nothing.

I have to say I'd prefer Glenn Murray in my squad, but only because he has already proven over a season that he can score 30+ goals.
Of course, he's been scoring for fun all season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd still say we're a better team overall

Honestly can't see it.

Keepers: must be pretty close. I'd rather have TK, but Speroni's been pretty consistent for you for a long time. 0-0

Left back: Bridge or Parr? No debate. Bridge by miles.

Right back: Bruno (or Calderon) both miles ahead of Richards on that showing.

CBs; Greer and Upson or Ramage and Delaney? Reasonably even, I'd say. Happy with ours.

DM: Bridcutt is younger and better than Jedinak.

AM: Orlandi v Williams. I really like Orlandi, but Williams looks a terrific prospect. I'd definirtely choose Williams.

CM: Lopez or Digakoi? No contest.

Wingers: Zaha over LuaLua, accepted, as Zaha has done it far more consistently than Kaz
Wingers: Buckley or Bolasie? Buckley thanks.

Striker: Ulloa or Murray. Leo is a good few years younger, which is handy, and has started in English football with 8 goals in 11 games, Can't argue with GMs THIRTY goals though. Fair play. (I still wouldn't swap them though).

(And our line up was missing Vicente, Mackail-Smith, Barnes, El Abd, Hoskins and Bruno, so don't bother moaning about any of yours being mising :thumbsup: )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here