Handing my notice in Friday.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I like your style! Unfortunately although I couldn't give a toss about the company, I do give a toss about my team so need to do it right.
I have loads of holiday left so i'll try to use some of that up (i.e next Saturday).

As much as you might hate the place, try and leave on good terms. You might get asked for references later in your career.
Job market is getting tougher all the time, never burn your bridges.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I got a £4k pa rise in a offer when i left my last job as they tried to keep me,still told them no,why could they have not given me it in the first place was my thoughts.

Exactly, all employers are the same. Be honest, if you thought you could get away with paying someone 4k less you would, all day long. My boss thinks I'm a complete wanker, which to be fair she's probably correct, but I'm good for her and therefore get what I get. However, she also knows if something better comes along, then I'm off like a shot. f*** her, f*** the company & f*** them all, look after number 1 :)

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
As much as you might hate the place, try and leave on good terms. You might get asked for references later in your career.

Agree to a fashion, but you have make a decision at that time. If you're good at your job and there is a demand, then f*** them. If they are taking the piss, why shouldn't you let them know? Why not be a mercenary and use it to your advantage? Again, just my opinion :)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

In the words of NSC, 'this'.

It's easier to get another job when you're in a job.
The fact that you're leaving is a given, the manner in which you decide to leave is entirely up to you.

I have a business that currently provides employment to 13 great people. Whilst we took into account experience and qualifications, they were hired them primarily on their attitude. Because of questions surrounding their attitude that became apparent at the interview stage, many others with better experience or higher qualifications were not. Yes, there are obvious exceptions to this in the medical and aviation field where public safety is at risk, but for many businesses 'attitude determines altitude'.

It's said that people join companies, but leave (because of) people in the company. That's fair enough as there are a lot of managers in the workplace who have been promoted above their competency levels, but I'd politely recommend that you remember why you started working for the company in the first place, express your gratitude to those in the business that have helped your development and restrain from any conduct that may have potentially negative consequences in the future.

I try and remember that the people who I have the pleasure of working with weren't with me at the beginning and they probably won't be with me at the end. They've got their own lives to lead - if we've left them in a better place (financially and employability) than we found them/they found us, then the business has done its' job for the employee.

Life's all about transitions. Don't feel bad about leaving, but leave with dignity and in a way that brings credit to yourself and your former employers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Agree to a fashion, but you have make a decision at that time. If you're good at your job and there is a demand, then f*** them. If they are taking the piss, why shouldn't you let them know? Why not be a mercenary and use it to your advantage? Again, just my opinion :)

Seriously, I really wouldn't burn bridges. You never know what will happen in the future. I used to work with someone who left a company ( thankfully on good terms ) and two years later his new company was taken over by his old company.

At a previous company I hired someone who after 18 months just walked out - no notice worked. Five years later, when I was working for another company her CV landed on my desk for a role I was hiring for. Strangely she didn't even get an interview !

Unless you work in an industry that is huge and very fluid then you'll be surprised how many people know each other in an industry. I work in IT and it's amazing how many people I've met that I have then met again later in my career at another company. If you leave on bad terms then other people in the industry WILL hear about it.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Totally agree with Hart's Shirt.

But.

I'd been reasonably senior in an organisation for four years, tootling along quite effectively and was lined up to open a shared service centre in Prague. Some poisonous twat got promoted in Finance and slowly, quietly, inexorably the wind changed and I was left out in the cold. Anyhow, poor me ... You get the idea.

Work was miserable so I went and got myself another job. Rather than resign, I went out to dinner with COO had a wee conversation about work-life balance and the strain of all the travelling. He saw his chance and offered me redundancy if I slipped away. Trousered £40k and had a month off.

So f*** 'em.

But all you JCLs and youngsters take heed of HS's top words. The above only works if you're a shifty **** in your 50s with a great future behind you.

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Exactly, all employers are the same. Be honest, if you thought you could get away with paying someone 4k less you would, all day long. My boss thinks I'm a complete wanker, which to be fair she's probably correct, but I'm good for her and therefore get what I get. However, she also knows if something better comes along, then I'm off like a shot. f*** her, f*** the company & f*** them all, look after number 1 :)

I take it you get no job satisfaction then, and spend most of you waking hours unhappy and being somewhere you don't want to be?

- - - Updated - - -

Does she use NSC ???

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I did the same, handed my notice in at Christmas last year. Today I got a new job in Nairobi. Had I not handed in my notice I do not think it would have given me the kick up the arse and motivation to get the new job. As one door closes........

Bloody hell dude, that's 9,000 miles from Bolton. That's £2,500 if you want a lift from there....

Nice one though!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I took voluntary redundancy from the civil service 6 months ago. Taken a break after ten years working in different departments and hating it at the end. Got a decent pay off, but obviously it won't last forever. Looking for work end of March and in the last six months have been trying to start writing. i feel a lot better for it and would always recommend that if you are in a rut, take a risk and move on. I was lucky to get voluntary and a pay off. But otherwise as the Placebo song says, "All it takes is one decision. A lot of guts and a little vision". I think.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sick for a week of that definately, throw in whatever holiday you have owing and you wont be there much anyway

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

The fact that you're leaving is a given, the manner in which you decide to leave is entirely up to you.

I have a business that currently provides employment to 13 great people. Whilst we took into account experience and qualifications, they were hired them primarily on their attitude. Because of questions surrounding their attitude that became apparent at the interview stage, many others with better experience or higher qualifications were not. Yes, there are obvious exceptions to this in the medical and aviation field where public safety is at risk, but for many businesses 'attitude determines altitude'.

It's said that people join companies, but leave (because of) people in the company. That's fair enough as there are a lot of managers in the workplace who have been promoted above their competency levels, but I'd politely recommend that you remember why you started working for the company in the first place, express your gratitude to those in the business that have helped your development and restrain from any conduct that may have potentially negative consequences in the future.

I try and remember that the people who I have the pleasure of working with weren't with me at the beginning and they probably won't be with me at the end. They've got their own lives to lead - if we've left them in a better place (financially and employability) than we found them/they found us, then the business has done its' job for the employee.

Life's all about transitions. Don't feel bad about leaving, but leave with dignity and in a way that brings credit to yourself and your former employers.

You sound just like the type of person that I would love to work for! When can I start :)

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering

Great post!!

Also, if (and I hope it doesn't) there is a complication with your new job and it falls through or six months down the line you find you don't enjoy ur new job, u may want to go back. Also if any friends or family decided to join your current employers, if you leave on bad terms, could cause problems for them!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
One of my own personal strict rules. As much as I may detest my job, I always make a point of not burning my bridges. You never know what's around the corner and you may need employment in the future. Upsetting employers could cost you in the longer scheme of things.
Therefore, always try to leave on good terms if possible ;)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Go off sick then & f*** the team. They will carry on without you, granted they may have to work harder, but your going so don't give a f***. Your 'mates/team' are not gonna pay your mortgage/rent/beer/drugs/season ticket/food/gas & whatever the f*** else you can think of. Give em all a hug, say your sorry or whatever and f***ing do 1. Trust me, plenty of experience if you hadn't sussed that already :) Joking aside, do you really think any of them give a flying f*** about you?

And people wonder why the work ethic is so crap in this country and why we are this close to becoming a third world power

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports