Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
100 years of history.
Of course. But when Hamas attacked a sovereign state, there were always going to be repercussions.

Where I think most of us agree is that it’s gone too far now, from righteous anger and tit-for-tat to outright attempted annihilation of Palestine.

The bloodshed needs to end, but talking to some campaigners in London recently they seemed to consider Palestine (and their tolerance of Hamas) blameless in this whole bloody mess.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
US intelligence said yesterday that nearly half the bombs dropped on Gaza have been unguided "dumb" bombs. Alongside the fact that more bombs were dropped on a small built up area in a week than on the whole of Afghanistan in a year, this really gives the lie to the claim that the bombing has not been indiscriminate.
They should know, they are supplying the bulk of Israel‘s weapons to fight this war. Israel wouldn’t even be able to conduct this war without US weapons imports - now worth up to an additional $14 billion since 7 October, on top of existing arms contracts.

The US has recently been selling guidance equipment to Israel to turn these ‘dumb bombs’ into precision weapons. “The guidance kits are similar to JDAMs produced by the US. JDAMs – joint direct attack munitions – are also fin and steering kits that turn unguided “dumb” bombs into guided “smart” bombs. The US began expediting the delivery of JDAMs to Israel shortly after the start of the war, a senior defence official said in late October, which was one of Israel’s top needs, along with interceptor missiles for its aerial defence systems.” ‘The U.S. has provided Israel with large bunker buster bombs, among tens of thousands of other weapons and artillery shells and while it’s the IDF ‘doing the killing, the extent of US aid has raised serious questions about American culpability. “Providing weapons that knowingly and significantly would contribute to unlawful attacks can make those providing them complicit in war crimes,” Human Rights Watch said.’

When you consider the value of arms sales to Israel for the US, you can understand why a ceasefire would not be in the US’s financial interest.

The bloodshed needs to end, but talking to some campaigners in London recently they seemed to consider Palestine (and their tolerance of Hamas) blameless in this whole bloody mess.
I doubt anyone with a rational mind, Palestinian or otherwise would claim the jihadist terror groups are blameless for the violence on October 7 - they have freely admitted it - but Palestinian civilians are most definitely ‘blameless’ for the genocidal slaughter going on now - it would be inhumane to say civilians deserve to be ethnically cleansed from the land they live on or ‘deserve’ the war crimes being perpetrated upon them.

As for the wider context - there are polarised views on both sides as to what came first, the chicken or the egg - violent occupation or defence against those who would resist it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Of course. But when Hamas attacked a sovereign state, there were always going to be repercussions.

Where I think most of us agree is that it’s gone too far now, from righteous anger and tit-for-tat to outright attempted annihilation of Palestine.

The bloodshed needs to end, but talking to some campaigners in London recently they seemed to consider Palestine (and their tolerance of Hamas) blameless in this whole bloody mess

In the 3000-odd posts on this thread, I don't think anyone has ever suggested there shouldn't have been repercussions for the Hamas attacks.

No doubt those types exist now elsewhere (as do those who think Israel can do no wrong) but NSCers have universally condemned Hamas as far as I know.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In the 3000-odd posts on this thread, I don't think anyone has ever suggested there shouldn't have been repercussions for the Hamas attacks.

No doubt those types exist now elsewhere (as do those who think Israel can do no wrong) but NSCers have universally condemned Hamas as far as I know.
Absolutely, I wasn’t having a dig at anyone here.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

I agree - I think everyone here has condemned Hamas and no one thinks we should just let them carry on. There’s been a prevailing view in some quarters that think Israel are blameless and have conflated all Palestinians with Hamas or at least said they were inseparable - and that it was ‘Palestine’ that attacked Israel which is wrong on a number of levels - but thinking Israel is blameless has been pretty much the Government line since the war started so not surprising really.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Oh yes indeed.

if Israel had killed 10K Hamas terrorists tbh I don't think anybody would have given a shit.

It is the fact that Israel has deliberately targetted innocent civilians and killed THOUSANDS of CHILDREN. They are going to continue to do it and our political leaders, both Labour and Tory, are content to stand by and watch it happen.

Sunak and Starmer share the shame.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I agree - I think everyone here has condemned Hamas and no one thinks we should just let them carry on. There’s been a prevailing view in some quarters that think Israel are blameless and have conflated all Palestinians with Hamas or at least said they were inseparable - and that it was ‘Palestine’ that attacked Israel which is wrong on a number of levels - but thinking Israel is blameless has been pretty much the Government line since the war started so not surprising really.
And also, sadly, the Opposition line too.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Tbh - I don’t know - clearly they need to be demilitarised- part of that has already happened- but flooding/contaminating Gaza’s fresh water aquifers with salt water in an act of environmental terrorism isn’t the answer, nor is killing over 10,000 infants and children. The rule of terror with which Hamas has ruled Gaza must come to an end - but something needs to fill the political vacuum that removing Hamas from power will leave - agreement on that will be hard to achieve but it is essential and must not be something imposed by the West - it has to be a joint Arab-West agreement with the full involvement of Palestinian civilian representation..

We also cannot be completely blind to the conditions that had provided a petri dish for breeding radicalism in the ME and especially in the Occupied Territories either. Israel cannot be allowed to carry on with apartheid polices, rampant settlement expansion, indiscriminate killings and collective punishments. Part of what needs to be done IMO can be done through civil and human rights regimes - undermining the power of Hamas to defraud Gazans out of Humanitarian aid by providing aid directly to civilians rather than through the Hamas authorities and restoring a system of democratic elections for people of Gaza - they have had no political choice who governs them since 2005 (there’s never been an election in Gaza - Hamas took over by violently expelling the PA). International rebuilding of infrastructure and housing with an international peace keeping force perhaps? Anything is better than what we have now but going back to the pre-October status quo isn’t a solution though.

There is still support for the two state solution and some support for a one state solution (which seems more unlikely at this time ) - the alternative in the meantime would be for a coalition run Arab enclave possibly under the auspices of the UN but absolutely NOT an Israeli occupation.
Broadly agree with what you're saying. I think most would agree, despite the minor differences on this thread.

If they create something for Palestinians that's allowed to grow and thrive then the chance of extremism taking hold diminishes. The same probably goes for the other side - if Israelis stop feeling threatened they'll eventually end up with a moderate government. But it all needs a consensus from the Arab states, Israel and the West. I doubt the pragmatism exists in order to achieve it. This really does feel like a fork in the road, either they find a way to stop killing each other now or it will go on forever.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
…either they find a way to stop killing each other now or it will go on forever.
Yes … as I said some weeks ago, we are both the closest to a lasting peace settlement than we have ever been, yet at the same time, the furthest away. I’m sure all of this will kick start major new peace initiatives once Israel agrees a ceasefire (that is if any Arab in the ME is still prepared to come to the table after this 😕)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Oh yes indeed.

if Israel had killed 10K Hamas terrorists tbh I don't think anybody would have given a shit.

It is the fact that Israel has deliberately targetted innocent civilians and killed THOUSANDS of CHILDREN. They are going to continue to do it and our political leaders, both Labour and Tory, are content to stand by and watch it happen.

Sunak and Starmer share the shame.
It is interesting looking at the Israeli press, totally one sided and very little on what is actually happening in Gaza. Little surprise public opinion is to just keep on bombing....

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Broadly agree with what you're saying. I think most would agree, despite the minor differences on this thread.

If they create something for Palestinians that's allowed to grow and thrive then the chance of extremism taking hold diminishes. The same probably goes for the other side - if Israelis stop feeling threatened they'll eventually end up with a moderate government. But it all needs a consensus from the Arab states, Israel and the West. I doubt the pragmatism exists in order to achieve it. This really does feel like a fork in the road, either they find a way to stop killing each other now or it will go on forever.
That's exactly what Israel did when they pulled out of Gaza in 2005.
Hamas won the election, killed their opponents & spent billions of aid on themselves, building tunnels (for themselves, not civilians) & bombing Israel. Every single day. Resulting in fences etc

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That's exactly what Israel did when they pulled out of Gaza in 2005.
Hamas won the election, killed their opponents & spent billions of aid on themselves, building tunnels (for themselves, not civilians) & bombing Israel. Every single day. Resulting in fences etc
It needs to be policed properly doesn't it, I don't think they can be left to their own devices. That can't come from the west or Israel, it must be the Arab states.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
British Destroyer on active duty in the Red Sea

And this seems extraordinary - IDF responsible for shooting dead 3 Israeli hostages emerging from a building, carrying a white flag and shirtless because the soldier responsible ‘felt under threat’ apparently - inexperienced reservists serving in the IDF, the chaos of war but more worryingly, why would they be shooting anyone with no shirt on carrying a white flag and shouting for ‘help’ in Hebrew? - Clearly the IDF thought they were Hamas but it lends credence to the suggestion that indiscriminate or punishment killings are being perpetrated on innocent civilians or even those suspected of terrorism, contrary to the Geneva Convention and humanitarian law if the white flag is being ignored. The Israeli Government and the IDF have since condemned the killings, putting distance between themselves and those that pulled the trigger.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
British Destroyer on active duty in the Red Sea

And this seems extraordinary - IDF responsible for shooting dead 3 Israeli hostages emerging from a building, carrying a white flag and shirtless because the soldier responsible ‘felt under threat’ apparently - inexperienced reservists serving in the IDF, the chaos of war but more worryingly, why would they be shooting anyone with no shirt on carrying a white flag and shouting for ‘help’ in Hebrew? - Clearly the IDF thought they were Hamas but it lends credence to the suggestion that indiscriminate or punishment killings are being perpetrated on innocent civilians or even those suspected of terrorism, contrary to the Geneva Convention and humanitarian law if the white flag is being ignored. The Israeli Government and the IDF have since condemned the killings, putting distance between themselves and those that pulled the trigger.

IDF seem to be out of control, the only excuse you could give is they are scared kids. Why are they shooting dead women in the grounds of a church? They have lost the plot, time to go home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here