[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I do enjoy these threads because tend to learn more about an important subject. From what I understand Israel say the war is only against Hamas. I heard an interview who I admit seemed anti Israel saying over the years many have been killed in the Westbank where there are no Hamas. To those more knowledgeable Is this true and why

According to UN figures, prior to the events of the past week, over 1000 Palestinians were killed in the West Bank between 2008 and 2023. This compares to ~5000 deaths in Gaza and 35 in Israel.

Of those in the West Bank, almost 75% of casualties were men and the rest women and children. The vast majority killed with live ammunition.

In Gaza, about 20% of the victims have been children, with airstrikes being the main cause of death.

At least 61 more have been killed in the West Bank since October 7th. One father and son were driving to a funeral when they were shot dead by Israeli settlers.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Someone on the news the other day (cannot remember who) said that support for Hamas was higher in the West Bank than in Gaza. Dunno how true that is?

Sounds dubious but I guess those in the West Bank haven't had to live under Hamas rule so perhaps have a rose-tinted view.

Last edited:

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Protesting? Or throwing rocks and petrol bombs? You can do an awful lot of damage with those. And many of the IDF will be seriously spooked teenage conscripts with minimal training. Not saying it's right at all, just saying the response is maybe understandable
It appears it's more illegal Israeli settlers that are doing the killing. Appear to be going on the rampage with the IDF doing little to stop it.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
A guy from Tel Aviv called this morning on the radio he said something like yesterday we had Man City visiting (Biden) today we have some non league outfit (Sunak) 😏
I thought our pm sounded a little more coherent than sleepy Joe was yesterday , probably just me though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I thought our pm sounded a little more coherent than sleepy Joe was yesterday , probably just me though.
Sunak is just sweeping up after the Lord Mayor's Parade tho. And grabbing the obligatory war zone photo-op. It was very noticeable that after Netenyahu had made his soundbites to camera, he lost all interest in anything Sunak had to say

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm a big fan of Behr. His podcast, Politics on the Couch, is always worth a listen.

I like his journalism too. Less keen on his podcast. I prefer David Runciman (formerly Talking Politics, currently Past, Present, Future) and Adam Tooze on Ones and Tooze.
But, back on track, I think I mentioned Lyse Doucet's nightly podcast is worth tuning into, but there's also a 13.45 R4 impromptu series by Katya Adler on the basics of Israel-Palestine that is very helpful for those -- like me -- that are under-informed.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I like his journalism too. Less keen on his podcast. I prefer David Runciman (formerly Talking Politics, currently Past, Present, Future) and Adam Tooze on Ones and Tooze.
But, back on track, I think I mentioned Lyse Doucet's nightly podcast is worth tuning into, but there's also a 13.45 R4 impromptu series by Katya Adler on the basics of Israel-Palestine that is very helpful for those -- like me -- that are under-informed.

I've read a fair bit of Adam Tooze (Crashed is a great book) but never listened to the podcast. Will check it out.

Back on topic, someone mention the Doucet pod the other day. I'll have a listen. I also notice Husam Zomlot was on the Rest is Politics on Tuesday- that'll probably be worth listening too to.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Can someone explain the situation regarding land ownership in the area which it seems to be about

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've read a fair bit of Adam Tooze (Crashed is a great book) but never listened to the podcast. Will check it out.

Back on topic, someone mention the Doucet pod the other day. I'll have a listen. I also notice Husam Zomlot was on the Rest is Politics on Tuesday- that'll probably be worth listening too to.

Clip of the Zomlot interview here:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can someone explain the situation regarding land ownership in the area which it seems to be about
Oh this will be interesting, but I think you will find it is the British's fault for not consulting everyone before subdividing the land, that was not ours to do so with in the first place, bloody British eh.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
This is a simplistic description of the Israel-Palestine conflict, referring to the land ownership in the area, so may be a good video to start with.

There are probably several in-depth sources about land ownership in the area, which I would thoroughly recommend to expand your knowledge on this conflict.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports