Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was about to click play, then thought nah don't want to rile myself up just before going to bed
Someone (@borat?) posted it earlier and I watched it.

It's actually a great watch - Bassem Youssef tackles the subject with dark humour and intelligence.

I didn't know where Piers Morgan had gone these days but, for me at least, he didn't ruin the interview.

Bassem Youssef wasn't someone I knew before, so I checked him out afterwards. He currently lives in LA and it looks like he tours - he has some dates in Australia coming up. I'm going to keep an eye out to see if he visits the UK as I'd go to see him live.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Someone (@borat?) posted it earlier and I watched it.

It's actually a great watch - Bassem Youssef tackles the subject with dark humour and intelligence.

I didn't know where Piers Morgan had gone these days but, for me at least, he didn't ruin the interview.

Bassem Youssef wasn't someone I knew before, so I checked him out afterwards. He currently lives in LA and it looks like he tours - he has some dates in Australia coming up. I'm going to keep an eye out to see if he visits the UK as I'd go to see him live.

He was in the UK touring in March this year (South Bank). Looked into him a bit more and apparently hes a former heart surgeon and a good friend of Jon Stewart (ex Daily Show). Two v smart guys who use humour to convey their message.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep. And, having worked with / for Israelis in the past I know it plays very well to their own supporters. Unfortunately, it makes many others think they care more about BBC reports than the deaths of hundreds of innocent people.
I'm not the greatest fan of 'balance' but in the interests of more than one side and the complexity of this situation, there was a representative of Hamas on C4 News last night who delivered an appalling interview. It was qualitatively different from the likes of Regev, who is one of the most effective communicators out there -- I admire the delivery but, underneath it, there are some dark positions mixed in with light and facts.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is a quite brilliant article written by a Brighton resident:

Good read that.

"I struggle to respect the judgment of Conservatives opining on a military conflagration when, two weeks ago at their annual conference, they were earnestly demanding an end to a fictitious war on motorists."

*nods*

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Looks like @Live by the sea is besmirching NSC - https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23863948.can-ceaseless-cycle-killing-israel-palestine-end/

Equally shows those that accused him of having multiple accounts are right - hello @nick rhodes !
If he's going to use "alt" accounts on there and reply to himself he really should disguise his writing style a bit better.
Of maybe N Rhodes and Nick Wright are both genuinely afflicted with space before a full stop syndrome.
What a sausage replying to himself.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Looks like @Live by the sea is besmirching NSC - https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23863948.can-ceaseless-cycle-killing-israel-palestine-end/

Equally shows those that accused him of having multiple accounts are right - hello @nick rhodes !
He said he has never had an account on NSC . . . Just a slightly unusual approach to punctuation (leaving a space before and after the comma) shared by two or three posters over the years.

A style also favoured by Nick Wright on the Argus website apparently. Who would have thought there would be so many people making this mistake. They must all live by the sea or in a bushy.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

In addition to Nick Rhodes, I see the comments section now has a reply from John Taylor.

Soon there'll be responses from Simon Le Bon, Roger Taylor and Andy Taylor*, and the Duran Duran line-up will be complete**.

*I know he's ill right now
**I'm not expecting anything from Warren Cuccurullo

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He said he has never had an account on NSC . . . Just a slightly unusual approach to punctuation (leaving a space before and after the comma) shared by two or three posters over the years.

A style also favoured by Nick Wright on the Argus website apparently. Who would have thought there would be so many people making this mistake. They must all live by the sea or in a bushy.
Lest we forget...... (note dates and the fact he's still reading the site)

1697707577285.png

1697707641945.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can we leave that there, please, and keep this on topic.

The discussion of this conflict is really difficult to moderate, but I feel it's an important thread to remain open if at all possible. I have learned far about Israel and Palestine from this thread in 11 days than I had in the preceding 40 years of my life. Many thanks to everyone who is exercising caution when they post.

Antisemitism remains a terrible scourge. Jewish people have the same right to live in peace and free of fear as any of us, both in Israel and anywhere in this world they choose to live. I can't imagine how it must be to live feeling the need to always check over my shoulder, just in case some nutter wants to make a hate-inspired point.

If people use NSC to try to spread antisemitic messages, we will remove the messages, ban the protagonist from using the site for life and, if I feel it merited, I would make a report to the police for further investigation.

The same applies to islamophobia, homophobia and all other discriminatory categories currently covered by UK hate speech legislation.

I look at Facebook, X, Instagram and TikTok and I despair of much that exists there around this subject. Those who post potentially illegal hate speech, vile abuse towards others and graphic photos/videos of gruesome death scenes are allowed to continue unchecked. That isn't permitted on NSC, and never will be.

Like wider society, NSC isn't perfect - we're a reflection of the people who choose to post here, but we remain open to robust but respectful debate of key issues.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

The discussion of this conflict is really difficult to moderate, but I feel it's an important thread to remain open if at all possible. I have learned far about Israel and Palestine from this thread in 11 days than I had in the preceding 40 years of my life. Many thanks to everyone who is exercising caution when they post.

Antisemitism remains a terrible scourge. Jewish people have the same right to live in peace and free of fear as any of us, both in Israel and anywhere in this world they choose to live. I can't imagine how it must be to live feeling the need to always check over my shoulder, just in case some nutter wants to make a hate-inspired point.

If people use NSC to try to spread antisemitic messages, we will remove the messages, ban the protagonist from using the site for life and, if I feel it merited, I would make a report to the police for further investigation.

The same applies to islamophobia, homophobia and all other discriminatory categories currently covered by UK hate speech legislation.

I look at Facebook, X, Instagram and TikTok and I despair of much that exists there around this subject. Those who post potentially illegal hate speech, vile abuse towards others and graphic photos/videos of gruesome death scenes are allowed to continue unchecked. That isn't permitted on NSC, and never will be.

Like wider society, NSC isn't perfect - we're a reflection of the people who choose to post here, but we remain open to robust but respectful debate of key issues.
Amen 👌🏼

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Well said. Absolutely correct.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Fan Snow's history hit podcast have an episode on the history of the area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here