Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gutted

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In my view, it's ESSENTIAL that Tony Bloom gets a quick grip and says something reassuring. SOON.

I'm sure he will when the time is right. There are things to be sorted out - with lawyers and the League managers association - before we'll hear any sort of statement.

Carshaltonloyal

Jan 18, 2011
image.jpg

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It seems to me something commercially was very wrong as each week record pie and ale sales yet we are making no money. Let alone all the 1901 stuff, record shirt sales etc.

Let's say (taking into account varying prices for seniors, kids etc) that the average STH pays £400. £60 of this goes to the travel companies and another £60 to George Osborne for VAT, giving a net £280. It therefore takes 3,571 ST sales to generate £1 million. So an average gate of 26,000 generates £7.3 million.

The wage bill in our first season at Falmer was £14 million, but given the squad improvements is now a conservative £19 million (just over average for this division) in 2012/13.

And that is why we make big losses.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I don't understand how this can be laid at the door of Barber. Gus had more money than Freedman and Holloway but blew it tactically when it came to the main event.

How Barber can be blamed does seem ridiculous.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Without wishing to speculate, it was widely reported that Gus failed to deal with the retained list so my feeling is that perhaps he was told which players we could afford to keep and which we couldn't and that (rightly or wrongly) is what caused the fall-out.

As far as the silence is concerned, it is truly deafening - and I'm amazed that even the press don't seem to have a sniff about what is going on. Would have thought Naylor would have uncovered something by now.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Without wishing to speculate, it was widely reported that Gus failed to deal with the retained list so my feeling is that perhaps he was told which players we could afford to keep and which we couldn't and that (rightly or wrongly) is what caused the fall-out.

As far as the silence is concerned, it is truly deafening - and I'm amazed that even the press don't seem to have a sniff about what is going on. Would have thought Naylor would have uncovered something by now.

I am clinging to the hope that something truly amazing will happen that must be negotiated in secret and will propell us forward and this is why nothing is being released.

I had hoped though that after our problems in the 90's we would have a board or owner that would be transparent and open with what is going on. This is the fans' club and I think we deserve to be kept in the loop with what is happening (as much as possible of course).

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
We have just had a great season, in a great stadium and the highest finishing league position for 30 odd years. I have thoroughly enjoyed The Championship and I for one am more than happy for several more seasons in this Division.

For the record the last time we finished 4th in the 2nd division we got promoted the following season.

I have been supporting Brighton for 45 years through the hayday of the Brighton Palace Mullary Venables rivalry and I believe that the current obsession with Palace is distructive to our support of Brighton. Let's stop obsessing about Palace and enjoy supporting our club.

We clearly have to be financially viable and if that means long term being a Championship club with the occasional flirtation with promotion then that is alright for me.

I'm with you. Anyway palace are irrelevant now for a season at least. Next season will be different, for sure. And it will be all the more fun for it, assuming we don't collapse in a heap at the bottom of the league, which is possible (it makes it exciting), but unlikely.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Oh man up. What happens concerning palace is almost of no concern to us, just a small debt in our pride. As for the recent events, you do realise that this club I in the beat position it has been in for many years? In the grand scheme of things The past weeks' events mean little. Oh, and considering we are now getting crowds of over 30,000 in a beautiful stadium and our ever improving team just finished 4TH in the championship, I think if I had invested money in the club I would be pretty damn happy. The success of our club is not made redundant just because some moron took a dump on the floor.

Barn door billy please engage yr brain and do a little bit of research before you submit another post, I'd hate to see you embarrassing yourself.

The henfield one may not have put millions into the club to pay for our beautiful new, 30,000+ stadium. But he did put in blood, sweat and tears over many, many years (and without being a drama queen, I fear he nearly paid the ultimate price) heading up the campaign fighting to secure the land at falmer in the first place. And if that incredible, long, hard campaign had not been victorious then maybe, just maybe bha might have been consigned to the history books because we would have been on the brink of extinction.

The henfield one is the very last person you should be telling to man up.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
There is obviously something serious going on behind the scenes, whatever it is, the club should not underestimate the fans.
The club do need to do something soon. Cars without steering wheels, tend to crash !

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There is obviously something serious going on behind the scenes, whatever it is, the club should not underestimate the fans.
The club do need to do something soon. Cars without steering wheels, tend to crash !

I'm sure the club are aware of the urgency.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Barn door billy please engage yr brain and do a little bit of research before you submit another post, I'd hate to see you embarrassing yourself.

The henfield one may not have put millions into the club to pay for our beautiful new, 30,000+ stadium. But he did put in blood, sweat and tears over many, many years (and without being a drama queen, I fear he nearly paid the ultimate price) heading up the campaign fighting to secure the land at falmer in the first place. And if that incredible, long, hard campaign had not been victorious then maybe, just maybe bha might have been consigned to the history books because we would have been on the brink of extinction.

The henfield one is the very last person you should be telling to man up.

Absolutely! Barn Door Billy, note to self: I am a fool who forgets those who have given me a club to support.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Sickened as was in 1978 with the Saints v Spurs draw but in reality not enough points gained for automatic promo when there were many missed chances to gain them , 2nd half v Palace in semi not good enough for whatever reason , poogate to spur them on !! what exactly was the Gus situation on 2nd leg day as his player awards speech was brilliant and showed none of what was to come very odd turn round, Vicente's comments , too many unanswered questions , would now like to hear the truth .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here